Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Aug 2009 (Tuesday) 16:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

580EX Gels

Kevin ­ Song ­ Photography
260 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 11, 2009 16:10 |  #1

Hey guys,

So I am new to using flashes (as in very very new). I've seen a bunch of DIY gel holders for the flash, ranging from mounting thingies that gels slide into to simple pieces of velcro.

Any recommendations?

Also, are there special types of gels that I should get, or does it really not matter? Will theater gels (the ones used in live theater on top of Source Fours) work fine, or is there something special about flash gels? There are a bunch of old cut up ones that would work sizewise on a flash, but is there any reason not to use them? Obviously, the color codes are probably different, I'm guessing, but other than that...

Thanks! This is a great place, and this is one of my first non-lurking posts :D

Edit> Maybe they aren't different after all actually. I've read many people using Rosco's gels - http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …EG&addedTroughT​ype=search (external link)

And that happens to be what we use in theater as well. So are they the same?

Canon EOS 7D
Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L II | Canon 80-200 f/2.8 "Magic Drainpipe"
Speedlite 580EX

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,140 posts
Gallery: 246 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 11, 2009 16:16 |  #2

for use with speedlites you can pick up either a rosco or apollo sample book which turns out to be the perfect size for canon flashes :) That gives you a full range of colors to play with. Just keep a little space between the flash lens and the gel so they dont get too hot and melt to the flash. No reason not to use the gels you have though. The codes are really only important if you are trying to gel to match ambient light colors.

THREAD ­ STARTER
260 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 11, 2009 16:35 |  #3

Oooh, I didn't think about the sample booklet fitting perfectly.

We probably have quite a few lying around, but I'll pick up one next time I visit B&H - I'm not about to pay $10 shipping for a $2 product, haha.

Canon EOS 7D
Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L II | Canon 80-200 f/2.8 "Magic Drainpipe"
Speedlite 580EX

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,140 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 11, 2009 16:38 |  #4

ksong12 wrote in post #8441544 (external link)

We probably have quite a few lying around, but I'll pick up one next time I visit B&H - I'm not about to pay $10 shipping for a $2 product, haha.

Yeah, they were in short supply for a while due to a thread on here promoting this use :) if you search for gel holder on here you can find threads with some DIY options.

THREAD ­ STARTER
260 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 11, 2009 16:43 |  #5

On second thought - does anyone know what size it should be? I don't have my 580 with me right now to measure...

There's 3x5 swatchbooks and 1.75x2.75. Which one? For some reason, the bigger ones are a heck lot more expensive.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …igner_Color_Sel​ector.html (external link)
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Roscolux_Swatc​hbook.html (external link)

Also - any DIY gel holder recommendations? I don't want to use velcro if I'm going to be switching colors - that's a lot of velcroing to stick velcro to everything!

My two ideas were either a pair of magnets on each side and stick the gel in between to hold it in place, or building some type of holder, simliar to the ones theater lights use. But I have no idea how magnets might affect the flash - anybody know?

And assuming the gels are the same as the theater gels, I don't think I have to worry about melting and sticking to the flash - theater lights are considerably hotter than my tiny little Speedlite, even if I stuck an external battery pack on and just started blasting it at full power repeatedly - unless I used a really dark color I suppose.

Canon EOS 7D
Speedlite 580EX

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,140 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 11, 2009 22:09 |  #6

ksong12 wrote in post #8441595 (external link)
And assuming the gels are the same as the theater gels, I don't think I have to worry about melting and sticking to the flash - theater lights are considerably hotter than my tiny little Speedlite, even if I stuck an external battery pack on and just started blasting it at full power repeatedly - unless I used a really dark color I suppose.

Too many stories on the other thread about people scraping toasted gel of the front of their speedlite for me not to heed their advice. A couple said the heat buildup damaged the flash instead of the gel. I just got an old knockoff stofen diffuser, cut the front off of it and bend the gels slightly and cup them in there. the arc of the bent gel keeps it off the surface of the flash and I can change colors instantly.

mufutau55
Goldmember
1,278 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 12, 2009 10:48 |  #7

No toasted flash when you have one of this, this is the one I use, see link below:

http://www.gelholder.c​om/gelholder/ (external link)

Mufutau

gonzogolf wrote in post #8443263 (external link)
Too many stories on the other thread about people scraping toasted gel of the front of their speedlite for me not to heed their advice.

Underscore
309 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 12, 2009 11:00 |  #8

Get some heat resistant gels with the elastic (like a hair net) opening to drape over your flash. If you get ones that fit a 6" reflector for studio strobes, you can use them as well draped over your flash. Great stuff and cheap and keeps velcro off your small strobe, if you care about that sort of thing. I like velcro frankly for adhering my PWs to the flash.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,732 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 12, 2009 11:12 |  #9

If your a Joe demb flipit user he has a universal gel holder. Works like a charm.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

mhthomps
227 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 12, 2009 14:56 |  #10

AlanU wrote in post #8446167 (external link)
If your a Joe demb flipit user he has a universal gel holder. Works like a charm.

I just got some of these and they are awesome. Free replacements for life too. Kelby talks about them in his newest book - Digital Photography Vol. 3
http://stickyfi.startl​ogic.com/page3.html (external link)

MTJR Photos (external link)
Project 365 Blog (external link)
5DMii | 6D
24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L II IS
Extended Gear List

THREAD ­ STARTER
260 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 15, 2009 23:56 |  #11

Hey, I was actually thinking about trying to make something EXACTLY like that gel holder.com thing!

I just wasn't sure where I'd get that plastic from.

That sticky thing looks pretty interesting. Seems like it wouldn't last too long though. And replacements are always annoying to get, even if they're free. How are they for you?

Canon EOS 7D
Speedlite 580EX

mhthomps
227 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 16, 2009 07:24 |  #12

ksong12 wrote in post #8467272 (external link)
Hey, I was actually thinking about trying to make something EXACTLY like that gel holder.com thing!

I just wasn't sure where I'd get that plastic from.

That sticky thing looks pretty interesting. Seems like it wouldn't last too long though. And replacements are always annoying to get, even if they're free. How are they for you?

I thought the SAME thing about the longevity, but they are as good as new. On top of that, they come in a very compact "sleeve" that is simple to use and find what you need. Scott Kelby (who I trust for this kind of stuff) devoted an entire page to Sticky Filters in The Digital Photography Book Vol. 3 (which just came out a couple of weeks ago). That guy doesn't mess around when it comes to equipment :)

MTJR Photos (external link)
Project 365 Blog (external link)
5DMii | 6D
24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L II IS
Extended Gear List

THREAD ­ STARTER
260 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 18, 2009 21:06 |  #13

Hmm interesting!

I'll look into that then. i'm trying to make a gel holder right now, but it's rather difficult without a strip heater, lol.

Canon EOS 7D
Speedlite 580EX

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 18, 2009 21:16 |  #14

ksong12 wrote in post #8441544 (external link)

$10! You guys have it lucky, for Australians we have to pay like $60 shipping for a $2 gel pack :D

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

Killjoy
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 18, 2009 21:21 |  #15

If you are looking for a holder, you should check out this one. (external link)

Some people hunt with a gun. I use a Canon.
My Smugmug (external link) page
All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

sponsored links

2,925 views & 0 likes for this thread
580EX Gels
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.