Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Aug 2009 (Thursday) 12:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is shutter lag important to YOU?

twoshadows
THREAD ­ STARTER
Liquid Nitrogen
6,889 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 13, 2009 17:28 |  #31

1DsmkIII is .040-.055s according to The Digital Picture's review.

xgender.net (external link) Miss Julia Grey (she/her/Miss)
OST, API, & MLI explained (external link)

sponsored links
Bendel
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 13, 2009 17:29 |  #32

The first time I shot soccer with my xt I noticed the problem of shutter lag, after the game was over and I got home to look at the pictures - of course. It didn't take me long to get adjusted to the problem once I knew it was there.

Now with my 40D it is pretty much non existent and I can't feel a shutter lag at all.

Brandon
Canon 5D, 24-105 F4L, 70-200 F4L, 85 F1.8, 430EX II

gizman
92 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 13, 2009 17:30 |  #33

oh yes, indeed,, shutter lag is very important to me especially after using a very new canon p&s at a party recently. i could not believe how anoying the shutter lag was after my 1D'sz. i thought shutter lag would have been a thing of the past by now.

Gary | Canon
www.photosense.com.au (external link)

Synenergy52
798 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 13, 2009 17:31 |  #34
bannedPermanent ban

thank you

artyman wrote in post #8454801 (external link)
The only thing I've noticed shutter lag on recent times is a P&S I bought about six years ago.

"Shooting the 5D is like shooting a view camera: its a pain, but the results are why you do it." - Ken Rockwell :p

My Photo Blog (external link)

5D| 17-40L | 50 1.4 | 430EX | SD780 IS P&S

WaltA
Goldmember
3,867 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 13, 2009 17:35 |  #35

As has been stated, it depends a lot on what you shoot. People with a 5D shooting portraits and landscape are not affected.

I suspect that others make up for it by anticipating the shot.

To be honest, between my xti and 5d, taking landscape and architectural I have not noticed much lag that has affected my shots.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

twoshadows
THREAD ­ STARTER
Liquid Nitrogen
6,889 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 13, 2009 17:38 |  #36

WaltA wrote in post #8455094 (external link)
As has been stated, it depends a lot on what you shoot. People with a 5D shooting portraits and landscape are not affected.

I suspect that others make up for it by anticipating the shot.

To be honest, between my xti and 5d, taking landscape and architectural I have not noticed much lag that has affected my shots.

Exactly, Walt. This is what I'm noticing as well.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,408 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Aug 13, 2009 18:09 as a reply to  @ post 8454748 |  #37

Only a bit. Coming from a big Mamiya RZ, there's no DSLR with a lag that bugs me. But none of them is as quick-tripping as my old mechanical F1 cameras or my even older TLRs.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 13, 2009 18:56 |  #38

The reason I bought a DSLR (the XTi) was because the Sony P&S was wayyyyyy to slow. For my uses, the XTi is as fast as I need. The 30D is great, I think it's faster then I am. :lol:

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

dan ­ j
Goldmember
1,575 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 13, 2009 19:21 |  #39

I noticed the lag on my 5D2, but it only takes a second to adjust to it. Obviously sports photography wasn't first on Canon's mind when they designed the 5D2 or it would have a higher burst rate and less lag. I don't shoot sports and the lag doesn't bother me at all.

dan

5D Mark 2/24-70L/100-400L

versedmb
Goldmember
4,448 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 13, 2009 19:36 |  #40

drdiesel1 wrote in post #8453376 (external link)
I never really thought to much about it with my 5D`s, but when I bought the D700..............I really notice the difference now. It really doesn't bother me to much overall, but I can tell the difference big time now with the fast Nikon. I have thought about it from time to time when shooting both and thought how nice it is to have a shorter lag time. Dosent make any difference as far as shots go.:cool:

I so wish Canon had at least met the D700 specs in regard to this with the 5DmkII.

Gear List

Michael

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 13, 2009 20:06 |  #41

When all I had was the 5D I found that I became pretty adept at adjusting to the lag and anticipating. Not always, mind, but often enough. This is why the 5D can be used for sports, once one gets used to it.

Now that I also have a 1D3 I find that it is a lot harder to go back and forth. The 1D3 feels relatively instant and I have lost my feel for the 5D lag.

And when the lag starts to become much longer than what the 5D offers (especially the painful delay of most P&S) then action shooting is not generally possible because one simply cannot anticipate far enough into the future.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 13, 2009 20:24 |  #42

The "lag" on a P&S is mostly the AF being very slow.
The "Shutter release lag" isn't that much bigger then on a DSLR. Use MF on a P&S :lol:

That being said, I definitely had to get used to the 1D series after shooting a 10D.

If you want a very short shutter lag, try a 1nRS or a Leica M... Almost instant compared to a DSLR.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

twoshadows
THREAD ­ STARTER
Liquid Nitrogen
6,889 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 13, 2009 20:49 |  #43

JeffreyG wrote in post #8455771 (external link)
When all I had was the 5D I found that I became pretty adept at adjusting to the lag and anticipating. Not always, mind, but often enough. This is why the 5D can be used for sports, once one gets used to it.

Now that I also have a 1D3 I find that it is a lot harder to go back and forth. The 1D3 feels relatively instant and I have lost my feel for the 5D lag.

And when the lag starts to become much longer than what the 5D offers (especially the painful delay of most P&S) then action shooting is not generally possible because one simply cannot anticipate far enough into the future.

bw! You've summed up my feelings pretty well, Jeffrey :) .

bauerman
discount on value meals
3,457 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 13, 2009 23:16 |  #44

Shutter lag IS a big deal and something that I INSTANTLY noticed coming to a 1D from a 20D/30D body. The difference in the numbers may not look like much on paper.....but literally right out of the box I completely preferred the responsiveness when the shutter is fully pressed on my 1D.

I think that there were some posts above homogenizing shutter lag with burst rate - they are completely different things.

I primarily shoot my fast moving kids and really appreciate the responsiveness of my current camera.......for those that say it is not a big deal they either don't fully understand the principle or they have been too confined to one body type to know the difference.

drdiesel1
Goldmember
4,043 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 13, 2009 23:39 |  #45

versedmb wrote in post #8455664 (external link)
I so wish Canon had at least met the D700 specs in regard to this with the 5DmkII.

:lol: That`s the only reason why I have the D700. bw!

Nikon D810 Nikon 50F/1.4G - Nikon 70-200F/2.8II
Canon 5DMKIII - Canon 24-105F/4L

sponsored links

12,340 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is shutter lag important to YOU?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.