Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 10 Jul 2009 (Friday) 20:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My Canon Roadmap..and an opinion or two

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,172 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 22, 2009 08:50 |  #31

wickerprints wrote in post #8320448 (external link)
Just to let you know, 28MP @ 8 fps is not realistic. Why? Because you would need a sustained data bandwidth of 267 MB/s just to push all that image data onto a CF card. No CF card is known to write that fast.

So we'd be back to the point where cameras are faster than CF cards, that's the way it was for many years, it's only been in the last few years that card speeds have out-paced the fastest cameras.

I'm not saying I think 28MP @ 8FPS is realistic for a camera being released in a year,...
I'm just saying your reason re: Card speed is not what would stop Canon from doing it. That's what buffers have always been there for.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
21,388 posts
Gallery: 572 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 30, 2009 15:50 |  #32

According to the new Canonrumors im pretty freaking close on my specs!

19-point AF over 11, but thats no biggie..still all cross type

7.4 fps at 14-bit...thats close

New battery...

Heres hoping :)

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 30, 2009 21:30 |  #33

I think the OP's ideas for the 1DMKIV make sense but I'm guessing they will offer some other new technology, like the new IS I read about. And it probably will include some kind of movie thingy.

The 1DsMKIV however I'm guessing will be something heavy duty to challenge the medium format market, by offering something extra special in the sensor, that camera is usually the heavy duty studio type workhorse and is less about bells and whistles than the MKIII or MKIV will be.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 30, 2009 21:36 |  #34

Speaking of C F cards, muly Costco isn't stocking any of them and the are't stocking the 4G SDHC cards but are stocking the 8G SDHC cards, a pack of 2, 8G SDHC for $59.95

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
21,388 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 30, 2009 21:37 |  #35

Jannie wrote in post #8372711 (external link)
I think the OP's ideas for the 1DMKIV make sense but I'm guessing they will offer some other new technology, like the new IS I read about. And it probably will include some kind of movie thingy.

The 1DsMKIV however I'm guessing will be something heavy duty to challenge the medium format market, by offering something extra special in the sensor, that camera is usually the heavy duty studio type workhorse and is less about bells and whistles than the MKIII or MKIV will be.

The 1DsMkIV could also evolve to be a sort of RED-like competetor in additon to its studio workhorse status

IE it could offer a cradle or something to allow you to dock it and use it with more storage and things for professional video shooting....

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 09, 2009 09:52 |  #36

Haha, a funny roadmap.

First from history, Canon announced P&S's and amateur SLR cameras before pro cameras. So your order is backwards. Second is you won't see Canon making a new lens that is on a 1/3 stop aperture setting like your 400 f4.5. 3rd it'd be stupid for Canon to add just 2 AF points to the 50D model line.

KenjiS wrote in post #8370795 (external link)

Lol, there's been people talking about a 19 AF point autofocus array for Canon amateur SLRs for a few years now and nothing. It's really just a perpetuated rumor that holds no weight. If there is a 60D this fall, it'll have the 50D's auto focus system. Remember Canon upgraded the 50D model line's focusing system just 2 years ago with the 40D. 2 years is too short a time for Canon to upgrade it yet again.

District_History_Fan
Goldmember
2,286 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 09, 2009 10:13 as a reply to  @ HappySnapper90's post |  #37

I must admit to being excited about the possibilities the 60D could mean for us Canon diehards. Money is tight, but if this camera is speced close to the rumours, I'll find a way to get one. Come on Canon, lets have it!

www.ericmcferrin.smugm​ug.com (external link)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 09, 2009 16:39 |  #38

District_History_Fan wrote in post #8426726 (external link)
I must admit to being excited about the possibilities the 60D could mean for us Canon diehards. Money is tight, but if this camera is speced close to the rumours, I'll find a way to get one. Come on Canon, lets have it!

You mean that it'll be a 50D with video, bigger buffer,maybe 1fps more? Same 50D sensor. It should be called the 50Ds like the d300s. Both nikon and Canon are sitting out on the significant advanced amateur model upgrade because of the poor global economy.

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
21,388 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 09, 2009 17:01 |  #39

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #8428451 (external link)
You mean that it'll be a 50D with video, bigger buffer,maybe 1fps more? Same 50D sensor. It should be called the 50Ds like the d300s. Both nikon and Canon are sitting out on the significant advanced amateur model upgrade because of the poor global economy.

What you're neglecting is that the D300 is also the best in its class right now...the D300 didnt need much to upgrade itself

Sony isnt sitting on its ass either if rumors are to be believed, the backlit exmor sensor for instance has -VERY- high quality at high ISOs in Sony's video cameras...

Canon cant sit on the AF system of the xxD series, and I'm telling you that a rep confirmed the next xxD after the 50D was getting an improved AF system, He didnt say much about points but that it wasnt going to be 45 points, but it would be more than the Rebel

Every company, and I mean -every- company is fielding an SLR in the xxD price class that has more AF points and a stronger AF framework in the body than Canon, Thats SAD and PATHETIC..Even PENTAX is fielding more than 9-points, Olympus is too, so is Sony and Nikon....Put a good AF-S lens on the D300 and it beats the 50D any day of the week

19 points makes sense because its the 45-point sensor without the assist points, thus reducing costs and also meaning that the existing speedlight AF assist will still function, If the 1D gets a new version of the classic 45-point sensor, it might also have been scaled down size wise to fit in the smaller camera bodies...

And whats wrong with a 1/3rd aperture stop setting? Who dictates lenses all have to be in 1 stop increments? Nikon and Minolta used to field 400mm f/4.5 lenses and so did Canon, They were the intermediate steps between f/5.6 and f/2.8 historically.....

jrfoto
88 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 09, 2009 18:06 |  #40

hk300 wrote in post #8266381 (external link)
nice post!

... however, you forgot the Canon 7D which will be announced end of this year or beginning of next year (before you upgrade of the Canon 5D II)

Spec
16M pixels
FF
Similar to 5DII

Why i believe that there is a 7D?
- Because the 5D II is too expensive for some (like me).
- Not everyone needs 20+Mp
- Currently, the 50D or 60D does not give the extra boost for current 40D (50d? ) users and there is only FF to choose for.
- the 5D used to be the cheapest FF DSLR, but nowadays, the Nikon D700 is about usd300 cheaper than the 5D II. A 7D priced usd200 or so lower than the D700, will kill the D700 ... and relieves the 5Dii from price reductions!

What about a 7D (or 6D ?) that would relate to the 5D mkII like the 1D does to the 1Ds? i.e. a camera similar to the 5D mkII but with a 1.3 crop sensor, faster frame rate etc.

John
---------------
Website (external link), Club Website (external link), My kit

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
21,388 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 13, 2009 17:57 |  #41

jrfoto wrote in post #8428860 (external link)
What about a 7D (or 6D ?) that would relate to the 5D mkII like the 1D does to the 1Ds? i.e. a camera similar to the 5D mkII but with a 1.3 crop sensor, faster frame rate etc.

I dont know to be honest..

I'm torn on the 7D thing, i suppose it depends on price..For the same cost as a 5DII, I see it as pointless...but if it was closer to the D300 in price i could see a legitimate argument for it being Canon's "answer" to the D300/D700..

I think id rather see the 5DIII gain a crop 1.3x mode instead however

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 13, 2009 18:12 |  #42

KenjiS wrote in post #8428546 (external link)
What you're neglecting is that the D300 is also the best in its class right now...the D300 didnt need much to upgrade itself
What? upgrade itself? Please try to say that again. All nikon did was throw the d3 focusing system into the d300.

Sony isnt sitting on its ass either if rumors are to be believed, the backlit exmor sensor for instance has -VERY- high quality at high ISOs in Sony's video cameras... backlit is for small P&S sensors only with tiny circuitry in the sensor is where the benefit is. It isn't someone to improve anything in larger aps-c+ sensors.

Canon cant sit on the AF system of the xxD series, and I'm telling you that a rep confirmed the next xxD after the 50D was getting an improved AF system, He didnt say much about points but that it wasnt going to be 45 points, but it would be more than the Rebel
You should know by now that Canon rep's aren't given advanced info on new products and features. There's probably last minute decision making as to which prototype gets put into production and the different prototypes may have considerably different features, performance and characteristics.

Every company, and I mean -every- company is fielding an SLR in the xxD price class that has more AF points and a stronger AF framework in the body than Canon, Thats SAD and PATHETIC..Even PENTAX is fielding more than 9-points, Olympus is too, so is Sony and Nikon....Put a good AF-S lens on the D300 and it beats the 50D any day of the week
Ok, so you're into quantity instead of quality, eh? More is always better to you, right? I've used the 40/50D focusing system and it is very good. It beats similar film SLR models such as the Elan7n.

19 points makes sense because its the 45-point sensor without the assist points,
I laugh every time I see someone says "that seems reasonable" or "makes sense" with regards to a rumor. Just because a rumor is not outlandish and sounds like it "could" happen, doesn't mean that it will actually happen! :D

And whats wrong with a 1/3rd aperture stop setting? Who dictates lenses all have to be in 1 stop increments? Nikon and Minolta used to field 400mm f/4.5 lenses and so did Canon, They were the intermediate steps between f/5.6 and f/2.8 historically.....

Nothing's "wrong" with it, just show me the last time Canon put out a prime 100mm or longer that wasn't at a full stop aperture. I'll help you out, there isn't one in their current list of lenses.

SC_Highlander
42 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Aug 15, 2009 21:53 |  #43

KenjiS wrote in post #8370795 (external link)
According to the new Canonrumors im pretty freaking close on my specs!

7.4 fps at 14-bit...thats close

New battery...

Heres hoping :)

very cool.

sponsored links

10,447 views & 0 likes for this thread
My Canon Roadmap..and an opinion or two
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.