Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 02 Aug 2009 (Sunday) 03:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Yay, finally got a tripod! (Manfrotto 190xprob + Giottos MH-1300 review)

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 02, 2009 03:54 |  #1

I had a little Manfrotto tripod from several years ago designed to support a camcorder or a point and shoot (this one: http://www.adorama.com​/BG785SHB.html (external link) ). However I put it through so much abuse that the leg locks have broken and it is falling apart. Realized it was time to get a tripod that would actually hold my gear! I have been following the threads here off and on trying to figure out what to get.

I started looking around on e-bay and was thinking of getting one of the inexpensive carbon fiber tripods from there. But I figure that there must be a catch, a "you get what you pay for" sort of deal so I was really leery to do so...

So, I headed down to Pro Photo Supply here in Portland Oregon. Great shop by the way. Figured I'd play around with everything they had and go from there...

They carry Manfrotto, Benro/Induro, Giottos, Gitzo, and several other assorted tripods and ball heads.

First I figured I'd decide on a set of legs: I played with them all and realized I disliked the twist leg locks very much--and the ones that don't have the anti-leg-rotation system are even worse. Good thing I didn't get that e-bay tripod.

I eventually settled on the Manfrotto 190 series. The question was: Spend the extra money for the carbon fiber version? I eventually decided to get the 190XProB (the aluminum one) that so many people here have recommended. I love the legs, thank you guys so much. Very high quality, very sturdy, and I just love the way the center column works. The weight rating (11lbs?!?) is VERY conservative. My only complaints are: The bag hook could be bigger and I wish it folded down smaller. The weight really isn't that bad honestly--the 190 series is a lot lighter than the 055 series...

Once I decided on the legs...well, what about for the head?

Many here had recommended the 488RC2 Ball Head. I really didn't care for it. In fact none of the Manfrotto ball heads really felt that good to me. Also who wants a proprietary mounting plate? I looked at the Induro/Benro ones and they seemed alright. However, I noticed that you could say, keep loosening the ball lock knob until it came out of the ball head and figured that that was probably not a good sign as to the quality lol. The Acra Tech ones were very very nice but I didn't want to pay that much at this time.

Eventually I found the Giottos MH-1300 head. Here's a link: http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …H_1300_Pro_Seri​es_II.html (external link) . It's very sturdy and seems extremely well made. The panning action is fluid and silent, it feels like the head is floating. The friction control is great--easily adjustable so that it holds the 450d+55-250+430exII flash still while allowing you to move the camera very easily (it's definitely way overkill for this, which is good imho). It's rated to support 33lb which is definitely believable. The movement is completely smooth even with the friction tightened way up--it doesn't lurch around.

There is an extra fluid level on the quick-release adjust knob as well which is handy for the camera being flipped over into the portrait position. Anyway, just my 2 cents!

amanathia.zenfolio.com

sponsored links
Maxdave
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 02, 2009 09:22 |  #2

+1 on the Giottos ballhead ...

I also use a Giottos ballhead on one of my tripod setups, the MH-3300 (which is the big brother to your MH-1300). I second all your comments on your ball head.

I use an Adorama Flashpoint on my travel tripod, a Velbon 530A. It's OK and does the job, but it isn't as refined as the Giottos.

Maxdave

5D3,1D4,S90,6S&Moment Lenses,Hero4Silver,GPS​-E2,2x580EX,430EX,90EX,​EF16-35L f/4 IS,Samy SYTS24-C 24TS,EF24-105L IS,EF50 f/1.4,EF70-200 f/4L IS,EF300 f/4L IS,EF100-400L I IS,Kenko DGX 1.4X,Canon 2X TC Mk II, RRS&Pro-Media L-Brackets,Manfrotto MHXPRO-3WG & Roller 50,Sirui 306&K-20,Giottos MT-7371&MH-3300,Velbon ElCarmagne 530,CamRanger,Phottix&​Canon Remotes,Lowepro Backpack,ThinkTank Retro 20&Modular System,OpTech straps,Lexar/San Disk Cards

MatthewK
Cream of the Crop
5,002 posts
Gallery: 1024 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 02, 2009 10:16 |  #3

I too just bought the Giottos MH-1300. Took it out last night for some night shots and panoramas. Two complaints:

1) The mounting plate screw is impossible to remove by hand once it is locked down. The little flip up handle-thing that you use to unscrew it sits flush with the screw itself, and try as you will, you won't be able to get a fingernail under it to pry it up. Sure, I could use a flat head screw driver or a quarter or car key, but I want something I can remove quickly without resorting to tools.

2) The thing droops in the portrait position no matter how tight I made it. Frustrating. Then again I was using the 24-70L and the 70-200 2.8IS.

The friction setting knob was very nice though, and overall the head movement was smooth. Just the little nuances got to me, and over the long run I don't want to regret them.

I am probably going to return it today. I may just have to upgrade to their next level head.

LostShootingStar
Goldmember
1,005 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 02, 2009 14:35 |  #4

I might just have to try the Giottos, i've heard some good things about them

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE
IMAGE NOT FOUND
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

woos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 03, 2009 00:58 |  #5

Hmm, Matthew. I'm a bit confused about 1) you have listed. It really shouldn't be an issue. I really don't see how it could get stuck...it also has a little lip on it, it's really easy to get out and I don't have fingernails either lol. Maybe you got a weird copy...As for number 2, well if it isn't steady enough for you I'd swap it for one that is. Make sure you are loosening the lock, then tighten up the friction to where you want it, then locking it...here, example picture showing the lip and how easy it should be to flip it up:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

amanathia.zenfolio.com

Maxdave
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 03, 2009 06:39 |  #6

MatthewK wrote in post #8384953 (external link)
I too just bought the Giottos MH-1300. Took it out last night for some night shots and panoramas. Two complaints:

1) The mounting plate screw is impossible to remove by hand once it is locked down. The little flip up handle-thing that you use to unscrew it sits flush with the screw itself, and try as you will, you won't be able to get a fingernail under it to pry it up. Sure, I could use a flat head screw driver or a quarter or car key, but I want something I can remove quickly without resorting to tools.

2) The thing droops in the portrait position no matter how tight I made it. Frustrating. Then again I was using the 24-70L and the 70-200 2.8IS.

The friction setting knob was very nice though, and overall the head movement was smooth. Just the little nuances got to me, and over the long run I don't want to regret them.

I am probably going to return it today. I may just have to upgrade to their next level head.

Hi Matthew

I have two plates (MH-658 size) and have not run into the problem with the removal of the screw; I usually just use a coin to loosen it quickly, however.

My MH-3300 does not exhibit any creep, but my little Flashpoint F-1 does. Hope you find what you need with your eventual purchase.

Dave

5D3,1D4,S90,6S&Moment Lenses,Hero4Silver,GPS​-E2,2x580EX,430EX,90EX,​EF16-35L f/4 IS,Samy SYTS24-C 24TS,EF24-105L IS,EF50 f/1.4,EF70-200 f/4L IS,EF300 f/4L IS,EF100-400L I IS,Kenko DGX 1.4X,Canon 2X TC Mk II, RRS&Pro-Media L-Brackets,Manfrotto MHXPRO-3WG & Roller 50,Sirui 306&K-20,Giottos MT-7371&MH-3300,Velbon ElCarmagne 530,CamRanger,Phottix&​Canon Remotes,Lowepro Backpack,ThinkTank Retro 20&Modular System,OpTech straps,Lexar/San Disk Cards

sonofcoco
28 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 03, 2009 08:28 as a reply to  @ Maxdave's post |  #7

I just bought one of the 190XProB tripods and the 488RC2 ball head today here in South Korea. It's my first experience of this sort of setup, my old tripod was a fairly cheap, light aluminium one made by Velbon (I think...). I've had it for about 6 years. Got it for a pretty decent price too (again, I think haha). It was A$240 for both items. Looking online it's about $400+.

The only concern is they might be cheap copies made in China :eek:

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 03, 2009 13:04 |  #8

I have the 190 and the 488RC and I take that combo all over the world in my Bazooka bag. Wonderful!

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

woos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 03, 2009 14:44 |  #9

Yeah now I hafta figure out what to do for a strap to carry the tripod around with. Thinking the best option is probably go to goodwill or salvation army find something with a big comfy long leather strap that I can cannibalize ^_^.

amanathia.zenfolio.com

MatthewK
Cream of the Crop
5,002 posts
Gallery: 1024 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 04, 2009 07:09 as a reply to  @ woos's post |  #10

woos wrote in post #8388737 (external link)
Hmm, Matthew. I'm a bit confused about 1) you have listed. It really shouldn't be an issue. I really don't see how it could get stuck...it also has a little lip on it, it's really easy to get out and I don't have fingernails either lol. Maybe you got a weird copy...As for number 2, well if it isn't steady enough for you I'd swap it for one that is. Make sure you are loosening the lock, then tighten up the friction to where you want it, then locking it...here, example picture showing the lip and how easy it should be to flip it up:
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

Crap, I can't see your pics here at work :( But after sitting and thinking about it for a bit, I am not going to let the little screw dictate me returning the head. Adapt and overcome, time to keep a quarter in my tripod bag is all :)

Overall I LOVE how smooth the Giotto's is, so hopefully I figure out something to counteract the drooping in portrait mode.

Maxdave wrote in post #8389461 (external link)
Hi Matthew

I have two plates (MH-658 size) and have not run into the problem with the removal of the screw; I usually just use a coin to loosen it quickly, however.

My MH-3300 does not exhibit any creep, but my little Flashpoint F-1 does. Hope you find what you need with your eventual purchase.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I am going to pull the tripod out tonight and see if I can remediate the drooping issue.

sonofcoco wrote in post #8389828 (external link)
I just bought one of the 190XProB tripods and the 488RC2 ball head today here in South Korea. It's my first experience of this sort of setup, my old tripod was a fairly cheap, light aluminium one made by Velbon (I think...). I've had it for about 6 years. Got it for a pretty decent price too (again, I think haha). It was A$240 for both items. Looking online it's about $400+.

The only concern is they might be cheap copies made in China :eek:

The 488RC2 is a great tripod head! Nothing to worry about there, unless you did indeed get a knock-off copy.

Treat ­ me ­ like ­ a ­ tourist
Goldmember
1,614 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 05, 2009 17:00 |  #11

MatthewK wrote in post #8395912 (external link)
Thanks Dave, I am going to pull the tripod out tonight and see if I can remediate the drooping issue.

bw! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Facebook (external link)
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

SC_Highlander
42 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Aug 15, 2009 22:13 |  #12

SuzyView wrote in post #8391271 (external link)
I have the 190 and the 488RC and I take that combo all over the world in my Bazooka bag. Wonderful!

I have the same combo. Love it!

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,274 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 15, 2009 23:28 as a reply to  @ SC_Highlander's post |  #13

Creep in the portrait position...

I use and enjoy a MH1300 head on my Giottos MT-8180 tripod. That is one hefty and sturdy rig.

I also use the above mentioned Flashpoint F-1 Arca Compatible Ball head on a modified SLIK Pro 330DX leg set modified by using the optional shorter center column. It is a great little head with which the tripod outfit weighs only one pound and eleven ounces. That light weight and relative stability makes it a super trael and boonie tromping rig. It can support my 70-200mm f/4L IS lens on a 40D or my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS on a 30D with RRS L-Plate attached. I have shot using both camera/lens combinations with no problems in some pretty brisk Utah winds.

Camera creep in the portrait position is easily solved with either head by using a Really Right Stuff L-Plate. That way, you do not need to cantilever your camera over to the side when shooting in the portrait position. You can support a camera with a lot lighter set of legs and tripod head when you don't need to cantilever your camera for portrait shots. The camera is held directly over the head and directly over the tripod's center of gravity.

There are several other advantages to the RRS L-plate, including ease of shooting panos in the portrait position (giving a larger field of view top to bottom - left to right field of view is controlled by the number of images you paste into the pano). Another positive about the L-plate is that when you switch from landscape to portrait position, you don't need to completely reframe the shot. The only two disadvantages are the slightly high cost (I bought mine used on eBay) and the fact that each L-plate is engineered to conform to the contours of a specific camera. While this is a positive for hand-held shooting with the L-plate still on the camera; it means that you need to purchase another L-plate if you switch cameras or even switch to a battery grip.

http://reallyrightstuf​f.com/QR/05.html (external link)

I like the MH-1300 head but, there is one slight problem. You can have trouble fitting other manufacturers Arca Compatible plates into the quick release of the MH-1300 (unless you modify either the plate or the Q.R. - the safety stop prevents the RRS plate from sliding in and out). In fact, I cannot slide my RRS L-plate into the quick release but have to unscrew the QR to maximum width and drop the plate in from the top. Not a terrible problem but it is definitely a bit of a PITA. It is funny that the tiny Flashpoint F-1 incorporates an Arca Compatible head which will accept the RRS plate by sliding in and out.

I am attaching images of the Adorama Flashpoint F-1 head next to the Giottos MH-1300 and of my modified SLIK Pro 330DX tripod with F-1 head next to my full-size Giottos MT-8180 tripod with MH-1300 head.

Regarding a tripod strap: There are lots of them on eBay at low cost or just get a few feet of 1" nylon strap at an upholstry or sewing supply shop. Figure out how long you want the strap and knot a small loop at each end. You can then make a noose with each end loop and fit the nooses around the head and around the tripod legs. Not fancy but, it does the job at about a dollar for the materials. I used one for years - however my Giottos MT-8180 comes with both a strap and a case and the SLIK tripod comes with a case.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

GilesGuthrie
Goldmember
1,103 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 16, 2009 08:07 |  #14

woos wrote in post #8391821 (external link)
Yeah now I hafta figure out what to do for a strap to carry the tripod around with. Thinking the best option is probably go to goodwill or salvation army find something with a big comfy long leather strap that I can cannibalize ^_^.

I use the OEM Canon strap that came with my POTN-strapped 5d.

Blipfoto (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Twitter (external link)
Canon EOS 1d X, 1d MkIII, 5d. Gear List

sponsored links

5,547 views & 0 likes for this thread
Yay, finally got a tripod! (Manfrotto 190xprob + Giottos MH-1300 review)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.