Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 08:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!

this thread is locked
alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 17, 2009 15:49 |  #1981

David S wrote in post #8475762 (external link)
What are the 1ds2 going for these days? I say it will go down with new iterations of the 1ds line. I thought I saw some used ones go for low $2k so high-mid $1k shouldn't be hard to imagine with the 1ds4 out in the market.

$1800-2700 the last time i checked.

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

sponsored links
David ­ S
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 17, 2009 16:10 |  #1982

$1800 is a great deal. I assume it was a high shutter count, average condition body?

Leica M | Sony a7R | Fujfilm X-Pro 1
flickrexternal link

BscPhoto
625 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 17, 2009 20:05 |  #1983

TheHoff wrote in post #6804334 (external link)
With the price points crossing, the 1DS Mark II is the new competitor to the 5D Mark II. The 1DS2 was released at $7,000 street price and can now be had on the used market for $2500, the same as the new 5D2. Which is more important to you?

- 21mp, 1080p video, higher ISO, more megapixels on the same size sensor, smaller body, bigger screen

or

- 16.7mp, pro build, 2.8 cross-type AF sensors off-center, 1/250 sync, dual card slots, 100% VF, a shutter that sounds like a well oiled machine (chukka-shunthh is the sound it makes)

If they're both a similar size and weight (with grip) and both the same price... I know which one I'd go for. The poor fellow who sold this one to me lost $1000 over selling it just a month or two ago (Thanks, Matt!). I'd post some samples but it has been dark the whole time I've had it...!

QUOTED IMAGE

Who else has skipped the 5D2 now that the 1DS2 has dropped like a rock?

**EDIT BY CDS***

We have a growing number of *Fan clubs revolving around specific bodies.
I thought I'd make a collection of them, so we can find them and keep them organized (merge in new ones etc)

The Master list is here

Feel free to point us to other models or threads that could be merged.

* WARNING: By posting in this or any of the linked threads you are wholly admitting in no uncertain terms that you are a snot nosed, milk drinking, knee biting, curtain climbing unabashed Canon Fanboy who's opinions must be taken with several large grains of kosher salt.

What I think is funny, is you think they are similar sized (with grip) The 5D II with grip feels gigantic to me compared to my 1Ds II (which I want to sell by the way)

I love my 1Ds II, BUT. I hate the tint LCD and the press and hold, double button ISO change. During a shoot I may change my ISO 100 times and I like doing it without taking the camera from my eye. Even with those drawbacks, I still use the 1Ds II primarily over the 5D II.

•MEGAPIXELS are OVERRATED•

BSCphoto.com (external link)
Photography Blog (external link)

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 17, 2009 20:28 |  #1984

David S wrote in post #8475919 (external link)
$1800 is a great deal. I assume it was a high shutter count, average condition body?

yea, i bought one for $1900 but the seller ended up being a bad one. i ended up filing for a full refund, and i used the money plus the savings i had gathered over the month and a half waiting period that i had to deal with and just bought a second 5D and a 35L instead. so far i'm really happy with the decision, but i'm hoping one day to try for a 1dsmk2 again. :(

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,915 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 18, 2009 02:25 |  #1985

Later i will post few shots taken from last Thursday by 1DsII.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 18, 2009 03:59 |  #1986
bannedPermanent ban

I just got my 1ds and I'm wondering if I should sell her and go 1ds MKII.. Is it THAT much better than the 1ds or should I just pop for the 1ds MKIII in a month or two?

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

M3Rocket
580 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 18, 2009 04:04 |  #1987

Some favorites from the beach on a recent vacation. Shot mainly with a 100-400L with and without a 1.4x II on the 1Ds II.

#1. Vintage California Dude

IMAGE: http://iluk.zenfolio.com/img/v1/p695454942-4.jpg

#2. Collision Course!
IMAGE: http://iluk.zenfolio.com/img/v4/p1035287574-4.jpg

#3.
IMAGE: http://iluk.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p811281956-4.jpg

#4. This one was with the 35L.
IMAGE: http://iluk.zenfolio.com/img/v0/p759869509-5.jpg

I still ended up cropping a lot of the surf shots even with with the 1.4x at 400. Also, only middle focus point worked with the 1.4x on the 100-400L. But the 1Ds II has lots of pixels to spare, so all of this was not really an issue in the end.

I also found myself shooting mainly in JPEG rather than deal with the monstrous RAW files. The 1Ds II seems to meter much better than my 20D ever did. It seems like I never have to play around with exposure compensation as much either. The camera continues to amaze me.

iLUKphotography (external link)

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 18, 2009 13:08 as a reply to  @ M3Rocket's post |  #1988

Nice shooting M3Rocket! ;)

I like the PP in the first one also!

Cheers!

GEAR LIST l WEBSITE (external link)

David ­ S
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 18, 2009 14:20 |  #1989

alt4852 wrote in post #8477247 (external link)
yea, i bought one for $1900 but the seller ended up being a bad one. i ended up filing for a full refund, and i used the money plus the savings i had gathered over the month and a half waiting period that i had to deal with and just bought a second 5D and a 35L instead. so far i'm really happy with the decision, but i'm hoping one day to try for a 1dsmk2 again. :(

That sucks. Can't go wrong with 5D and 35L though. That is a deadly combo for sure.

Couple of more shots:

Messing with lighting and PP...

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3575/3832644561_8d1dc46ea0_b.jpg

This next shot shows how good the metering is with the 1ds2...

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3431/3833443664_f620a5e3ce_b.jpg

flickrexternal link

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 19, 2009 07:54 as a reply to  @ David S's post |  #1990

David S,

I really like the lighting mood you created in the first shot but the reflections in the eyeglasses are a bit distracting. Then I again, I'm not really sure if there's a technical solution to minimizing those reflections in the first place other then experimenting with getting the subject to turn their head around until a "magic angle" is found?

Cheers!

shotinthedark
51 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 19, 2009 08:09 as a reply to  @ The Ghost of FM's post |  #1991

Does anyone know how to test the AF? I just bought one (1ds2) and it is on par with a 40d.

scott marksbury
http://www.chasingwind​photography.com/[/URL (external link)

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 19, 2009 11:26 |  #1992

The Ghost of FM wrote in post #8485933 (external link)
I'm not really sure if there's a technical solution to minimizing those reflections in the first place other then experimenting with getting the subject to turn their head around until a "magic angle" is found?

polarizing filter.

David ­ S
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 19, 2009 12:04 |  #1993

The Ghost of FM wrote in post #8485933 (external link)
David S,

I really like the lighting mood you created in the first shot but the reflections in the eyeglasses are a bit distracting. Then I again, I'm not really sure if there's a technical solution to minimizing those reflections in the first place other then experimenting with getting the subject to turn their head around until a "magic angle" is found?

Cheers!

I think I can probably clone those out or the easiest solution is next time to tell my friend to take the glasses off. :)

flickrexternal link

cbouchez
520 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 19, 2009 12:07 |  #1994

great pics! I love mine, I have a session this coming weekend .

I have to adjust the settings.

Do you guys know if the "sports illustrated" settigns work with the "S" model? any other settings that you guys recomend?

gear list

Like my page: https://www.facebook.c​om …otography/19531​3957163600 (external link)

www.bouchezphotography​.com (external link)

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 19, 2009 18:51 |  #1995

shotinthedark wrote in post #8486034 (external link)
Does anyone know how to test the AF? I just bought one (1ds2) and it is on par with a 40d.

Focus tests would be same with this camera as any other.

Put it on a tripod, take a shot of a fixed subject, review the shot on your computer.

Cheers!

sponsored links

1,398,856 views & 0 likes for this thread
-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.