Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 02 Aug 2009 (Sunday) 21:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why does everyone on here get so huffy and puffy about offers for equipment?

BigWebb83
395 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 02, 2009 21:12 |  #1

Ok so I've been on ALOT of different forums over the years and there's a standard operating procedure that I've gotten used to when it comes to buying and selling. It goes like this:

• You post a thread with a for sale price of higher than your bottom line (just like in REAL LIFE)
  • You get offers from people who are trying to bring you down to that REAL bottom line
  • Usually these offers are lower than one woul be willing to accept
  • If the offer is unacceptable then a counteroffer is made by the seller
  • Buyer can take it or leave it
Anyway, on this forum nearly every tim I've made someone an offer on anything, they act like I'm personally insulting them by trying to hunt for a good deal on used gear. Its actually very annoying, much more annoying in fact, than getting low ball offers (I've sold tons of stuff and been lowballed all to hell). Anyway, just wondering what it is about this forum or photographers in general that causes this? It's almost like people think I'm making the assumption that they have fallen on hard times or something

Looking to buy an inexpensive BG Light

***PM ME WITH OFFERS***

sponsored links
Grumps ­ Photo
Suffering Keyboard in Mouth desease
2,012 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Aug 02, 2009 21:26 |  #2

Either they are playing the game and this is part of the bargaining process, or you are really lowballing the $$$$$$$$.

Search out the same items in the forum and see what they are offering for, before making what may be an insulting offer. But they can't be too bad, or they wouldn't answer you so nicely :-)

Grumps
(aka Jim or JAZZ D.P.G.)
1DsMKIII, 1DMKIII, T6s, D60, L's, DO, USM, other lens, flashes, studio gear (but no studio!) Olympus TG3
grumpsphoto.com

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Aug 02, 2009 21:33 |  #3

Offering 10 bucks on a $2000 item is annoying. Searching for a bargain and being an idiot are two different things. Generally an offer less than 50% of the original asking price is pretty insulting...unless the item was grossly over-priced to begin with. But hey....most people can get a feel for what a reasonable price is...if 20 people have a 24-70 L on the market for $925 and one person has it for $1800...it shouldn't take too long to figure out where the problem is.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 02, 2009 23:39 |  #4

Hmmmm - now just maybe in some other people's real world, they post the price they actually want to sell something for.

BigWebb83
THREAD ­ STARTER
395 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 03, 2009 19:11 |  #5

xarqi wrote in post #8388478 (external link)
Hmmmm - now just maybe in some other people's real world, they post the price they actually want to sell something for.

exactly and then I respond with the price that I want to pay for it. Whats wrong with that?

And BTW I'm not talking about anything ridiculous like mentioned before (i.e. offering 50% of the asking price) I'm talking about like offering 280 when someone is asking 375 just to throw some numbers out there. I don't intend for the person to say yes obviously but it sets a good ground for where i eventually want to get to in the negotiation process.

***PM ME WITH OFFERS***

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 03, 2009 19:48 |  #6

BigWebb83 wrote in post #8393220 (external link)
exactly and then I respond with the price that I want to pay for it. Whats wrong with that?

And BTW I'm not talking about anything ridiculous like mentioned before (i.e. offering 50% of the asking price) I'm talking about like offering 280 when someone is asking 375 just to throw some numbers out there. I don't intend for the person to say yes obviously but it sets a good ground for where i eventually want to get to in the negotiation process.

Well, if I were selling something for 375 I would find 280 to be a lot lower than I am willing to accept. I wouldn't be rude about it but I think I would decline that offer.

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 03, 2009 20:01 |  #7

Note to self - never go grocery shopping with BigWebb. ;)
Sometimes the price advertised really is the price of the item. Haggle with a person who works on that basis and expect to be considered a time-waster.

hawkeye60
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 03, 2009 20:05 |  #8

DennisW1 wrote in post #8393410 (external link)
Well, if I were selling something for 375 I would find 280 to be a lot lower than I am willing to accept. I wouldn't be rude about it but I think I would decline that offer.

Wouldn't you at least make a counter offer?

It's a lens not a lense!
The truest test of character is what you do when you think no one is looking.

S7000
My brain hurts
7,097 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 03, 2009 21:35 |  #9

hawkeye60 wrote in post #8393495 (external link)
Wouldn't you at least make a counter offer?

Not from an offer like that, I'd consider that a waste of time.

I've found most people here know the going prices of gear (both buyers and sellers), so they'll generally set the right price to begin with.

If you want a bargain go to a garage sale.

Phil | flickr (external link) | Gear | Website (external link)

BigWebb83
THREAD ­ STARTER
395 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 04, 2009 06:18 |  #10

S7000 wrote in post #8393942 (external link)
Not from an offer like that, I'd consider that a waste of time.

I've found most people here know the going prices of gear (both buyers and sellers), so they'll generally set the right price to begin with.

If you want a bargain go to a garage sale.

IMHO most people that are asking 375 will take 340-350, so I think 280 is a fine place to start at and I think you'd be a FOOL not to make a counter offer.

***PM ME WITH OFFERS***

BigWebb83
THREAD ­ STARTER
395 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 04, 2009 06:20 |  #11

and if you just can't back off a dime, which I stated in the first place I think is ridiculous, then just come back and say there is no wiggle room AT ALL in the price. Then I can decide to either pay you full asking price or move on about my business. My hole point is, there's no reason to act offended over it.

And by the way if people didn't need the money they wouldn't be selling ;)

***PM ME WITH OFFERS***

queenbee288
Cream of the Crop
5,610 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Aug 14, 2009 12:58 |  #12

When I post something for sale, I post exactly what I am asking and expect to get. No bullsh**ting around. To heck with all the games.

Robert16
I feel like such a square
2,178 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 17, 2009 07:23 |  #13

If people want offers they would put ONO (or nearest offer) next to the asking price. The price I put in an add is what I want for that item. If it doesn't sell then that is my problem. As someone already said, people on this forum know exactly what their gear is worth.

Robert.

gear

Li_Photo
163 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 17, 2009 23:28 |  #14

Same here, if I were to ask for 375 and you offered me 280, I would find that too far from my asking price so wouldn't even bother to make counter offer. I usually price something lowest I would sell it for but if you offered me say 340, I might give you a counter offer (maybe 350 or something).

Canon 40D W/ BG-E2 Grip| Speedlite 580ex ii| Speedlite 580ex | Speedlite 430ex| 3xPW Plus IIs| Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 85mm f/1.8| Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS| Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5
http://www.Peter-X-Li-Photo.com (external link)

Li_Photo
163 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 17, 2009 23:36 |  #15

One more thing, because this is a specialized forum, most ppl know and therefore place their gear at market value like Robert16 had said. If you want to haggle, Craigslist is a place to do it since a lot of ppl don't know what their gear is worth and will likely over price their stuff a lot to start with.

Canon 40D W/ BG-E2 Grip| Speedlite 580ex ii| Speedlite 580ex | Speedlite 430ex| 3xPW Plus IIs| Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 85mm f/1.8| Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS| Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5
http://www.Peter-X-Li-Photo.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,861 views & 5 likes for this thread
Why does everyone on here get so huffy and puffy about offers for equipment?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.