Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Aug 2009 (Monday) 21:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dull Pictures

justrussfm
110 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 20, 2009 08:57 |  #16

This is a fruitless attempt if you're not going to post samples. "Dull" is about as subjective a word as they come.

And aimlessly chasing the suggestions from people on here who haven't seen your examples-- and therefore have NO IDEA what the problem is-- is a wild goose chase. You might luck out, but you'll more likely get enough random... and wrong... advice to simply confuse matters.

Russ
NYC - Western MA - Thailand For Sale: Oly 24mm f/2.8, Peleng 8mm FE
Gear: 5Dmk2 | Peleng 8mm FE | Tamron SP 17mm (151b) | Oly 24mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.4L | FL 55mm f/1.2 | 135mm f/2.0L | Benro Travel Angel C-068m8 + B-0

sponsored links
nemo ­ man
785 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 20, 2009 09:03 |  #17

justrussfm wrote in post #8492649 (external link)
This is a fruitless attempt if you're not going to post samples. "Dull" is about as subjective a word as they come.

And aimlessly chasing the suggestions from people on here who haven't seen your examples-- and therefore have NO IDEA what the problem is-- is a wild goose chase. You might luck out, but you'll more likely get enough random... and wrong... advice to simply confuse matters.

+1....

http://carregwenimages​.com/ (external link)

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 20, 2009 10:39 |  #18

justrussfm wrote in post #8492649 (external link)

No, it's pretty simple really. If your pictures are too "dull", just add some "pop"! :lol:

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

ralff
766 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 20, 2009 10:43 as a reply to  @ bacchanal's post |  #19

Coca-Cola or Pepsi?

Canon 6D - Canon 7D - gripped, Canon 50D - gripped, EFS10-22mm, 17-40 f4 L, nifty-fifty, EF 28-135mm IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM, Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 ProD Macro, Benbo Trekker, Feisol 3371 w/ Kirk BH-3 ball head - Epson Pic-Mate, Epson 2200, Epson 3880 :D http://www.flickr.com/​photos/WNC_Ralph (external link)

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 20, 2009 11:08 |  #20

bacchanal wrote in post #8493100 (external link)
No, it's pretty simple really. If your pictures are too "dull", just add some "pop"! :lol:

Snap, crackle?

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,488 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 20, 2009 11:17 |  #21

Can you increase pop by reducing mom?

Elie / אלי

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 20, 2009 11:35 |  #22

tzalman wrote in post #8493295 (external link)
Can you increase pop by reducing mom?

bw!

nemo ­ man
785 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 20, 2009 12:10 as a reply to  @ egordon99's post |  #23

While we are w.....a.....i.....t...​..i.....n.....g.......​yawn! for dull pics to be posted, I thought I would provide one of my own dull shots. That's not to say my shots are dull - just about 98% of them.

ISO32000, f/1.8, 100mm (home made lens of toilet roll and magnifying glass taped to the end). What do you think of the noise levels? What about composition? I thought the contrast was OK - but what do you think? Should I upgrade to a 350D?

"Grey Day on Hampstead Heath."

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i250.photobucke​t.com …wen/forum/grain​-tm400.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 20, 2009 12:18 |  #24

Elvis has left the building.....

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

nemo ­ man
785 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 20, 2009 12:29 |  #25

shooterman wrote in post #8493667 (external link)
Elvis has left the building.....

I'm not at all surprised. It looks as if it's falling down. :)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i250.photobucke​t.com …regwen/forum/_M​G_0063.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

qwerty42
44 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 20, 2009 12:46 |  #26

nemo man wrote in post #8493627 (external link)
While we are w.....a.....i.....t...​..i.....n.....g.......​yawn! for dull pics to be posted, I thought I would provide one of my own dull shots. That's not to say my shots are dull - just about 98% of them.

ISO32000, f/1.8, 100mm (home made lens of toilet roll and magnifying glass taped to the end). What do you think of the noise levels? What about composition? I thought the contrast was OK - but what do you think? Should I upgrade to a 350D?

I quite like it; however, I probably would have shifted the building at the edge of the skyline a tad more to the left. That being said, I was so impressed by this capture that I have printed it poster-sized and hung it in my office cubicle. Nothing but compliments on it so far.

Josh

nemo ­ man
785 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 20, 2009 12:51 |  #27

qwerty42 wrote in post #8493815 (external link)
I quite like it; however, I probably would have shifted the building at the edge of the skyline a tad more to the left.

Typical! Obsessed with the 'rule of thirds':)

qwerty42 wrote in post #8493815 (external link)
That being said, I was so impressed by this capture that I have printed it poster-sized and hung it in my office cubicle. Nothing but compliments on it so far.

Won't it get mistaken for a partition?

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 20, 2009 13:23 as a reply to  @ nemo man's post |  #28

I think that one person has subtly hinted that the image color profile is important, but it need to be stressed that it is critically important for accurate color reproduction. Since the images are being sent out for printing, it is necessary to find out what profile they need because their equipment quite possibly does not perform conversions from one colorspace to another. Even though the images were shot in RAW which means that they do not have a color space associated with them at that point, when the images are processed and then saved as JPG or whatever, it is normal to have some standard profile attached to the image. If the dealer doing the printing expects sRGB and your images have AdobeRGB as their profile, the images will indeed look very drab. Another thing to consider is that when an image is printed it loses a considerable amount of sharpness for several reasons. Therefore, the fix is to sharpen images differently if they are to be printed. In fact, an image that is to be printed will look somewhat oversharpened when viewed on a monitor, but will look just fine when printed. When performing this "output" sharpening make it the last step of post processing and also make sure that the ppi of the image is the same as what is sent to the printer. Worrying about ppi is irrelevant when viewing images on screen, but it is important for printing.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 20, 2009 13:53 |  #29

nemo man wrote in post #8493627 (external link)

A little too aggressive noise reduction for my taste.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

Joy82
THREAD ­ STARTER
23 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 20, 2009 13:54 as a reply to  @ post 8488846 |  #30

how do I post a picture? i want to show everyone how dull my pics are! i tried to attach a picture, but i'm not sure if it's working. thanks for everyones response. i'm sooo glad i found this site.

sponsored links

8,781 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dull Pictures
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.