Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Aug 2009 (Monday) 08:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

is this normal? how can I fix this background paper?

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 10, 2009 10:42 as a reply to  @ post 8432632 |  #16

It is perfectly normal.

When the seamless is on the roll it's perfectly smooth. I've never seen anything come off the roll that is less than perfect.

However, when you leave the paper unrolled and it's exposed to changing temperatures and the environment it will develop those buckles and wrinkles. If you let it hang loosely it's unavoidable. If you leave it rolled down to the floor with the sweep it will happen. If you let it hang without touching to floor and have clips or weights at the bottom then it keeps it pulled tight and it shouldn't happen.

If you're rendering it as pure white then it doesn't show up but anything less than pure white and you'll see it.

The way to avoid it (too late for the paper already affected) is to roll the paper back up when not in use.

As far as a fix goes.... not possible. You can either use the part that's affected for pure white shooting or cut it off and start with a fresh piece of seamless.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Aug 10, 2009 10:53 |  #17

Most paper expands with increased moisture and shrinks with decreased moisture. Paper buckles when the moisture in the paper is different on one side vs the other.

You could leave the background paper hanging for a day or two and see if it flattens out after stabilizing in the environment. If the humidity in the environment is changing all the time, however, you may never get the paper to stabilize.

Pulling the light back to at least six feet or so from the background AND choosing a light source that's evenly illuminating the background should minimize the problem of seeing the uneven surface.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 10, 2009 10:55 |  #18

SkipD wrote in post #8432940 (external link)
You could leave the background paper hanging for a day or two and see if it flattens out after stabilizing in the environment. If the humidity in the environment is changing all the time, however, you may never get the paper to stabilize.

I've tried that Skip. I think once the buckles appear you're doomed.

Robert

Hermes
Goldmember
2,375 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 10, 2009 11:03 |  #19

This is why you really have to roll the paper up tightly when not in use and not store it lying flat.

I seriously think that for anyone who needs a seamless background on a regular basis, the best thing to do is paint the wall a nice smooth black/white/grey, have a matching flat you can put on the floor and then make a small, moveable infinity curve that you can put in the right-angle between the floor and the ceiling to smooth the transition. I've found that I save so much time not using seamless now that it really feels like a chore on the rare occasions I have to get it out. Not to mention how it complicates positioning the lighting and the model.

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,423 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 10, 2009 12:50 |  #20

Hermes wrote in post #8433009 (external link)
This is why you really have to roll the paper up tightly when not in use and not store it lying flat.

I seriously think that for anyone who needs a seamless background on a regular basis, the best thing to do is paint the wall a nice smooth black/white/grey, have a matching flat you can put on the floor and then make a small, moveable infinity curve that you can put in the right-angle between the floor and the ceiling to smooth the transition. I've found that I save so much time not using seamless now that it really feels like a chore on the rare occasions I have to get it out. Not to mention how it complicates positioning the lighting and the model.

That would be ideal and I'd love to do just that. Man- if I only had room, money, and the smarts to pull it off :rolleyes:

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 10, 2009 13:35 |  #21

hawk911 wrote in post #8433615 (external link)
That would be ideal and I'd love to do just that. Man- if I only had room, money, and the smarts to pull it off :rolleyes:

^ +1 ^

Robert

Hermes
Goldmember
2,375 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 10, 2009 13:43 |  #22

hawk911 wrote in post #8433615 (external link)

TMR Design wrote in post #8433885 (external link)
^ +1 ^

Cowards :)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 10, 2009 13:47 |  #23

Hermes wrote in post #8433933 (external link)
Cowards :)

OK, well I only need the space. I could pull off the money and smarts part. :D

Robert

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,423 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 10, 2009 13:48 |  #24

Robert, stop by the house then. I have plenty of space

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

abdul10000
THREAD ­ STARTER
309 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 21, 2009 11:37 |  #25

Good news, the distributor agreed to return the paper role, but not without telling me the usual line "I am the first person to make such complaint in the last 15 years".

I guess its good to develop friendly relations with vendors, otherwise I don't think they would have agreed to return it. Since I showed them my photography before and they liked it, especially the smooth tonal gradation in many backgrounds, I think they felt compelled to accept my complaint as genuine.

I asked them to show me where the paper was stored and as many of you have predicted, the paper roles were piled flat on the ground in a very hot and humid room. I pointed out the error in their storage method and they replied "wait till you see the HQ storage facility". They have over a hundred roles in storage, so sad.

Now I guess I have to ship at $150 per role from B&H.

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 21, 2009 12:50 |  #26

abdul10000 wrote in post #8499444 (external link)
Good news, the distributor agreed to return the paper role, but not without telling me the usual line "I am the first person to make such complaint in the last 15 years".

I guess its good to develop friendly relations with vendors, otherwise I don't think they would have agreed to return it. Since I showed them my photography before and they liked it, especially the smooth tonal gradation in many backgrounds, I think they felt compelled to accept my complaint as genuine.

I asked them to show me where the paper was stored and as many of you have predicted, the paper roles were piled flat on the ground in a very hot and humid room. I pointed out the error in their storage method and they replied "wait till you see the HQ storage facility". They have over a hundred roles in storage, so sad.

Now I guess I have to ship at $150 per role from B&H.

??? I buy 107" seamless from B&H all the time and have it delivered UPS Ground for $17.75 from NY to Cali. Why on earth would it cost $150 to ship from NY to Maine? Somethings not right.

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

abdul10000
THREAD ­ STARTER
309 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 21, 2009 14:01 |  #27

shooterman wrote in post #8499816 (external link)
??? I buy 107" seamless from B&H all the time and have it delivered UPS Ground for $17.75 from NY to Cali. Why on earth would it cost $150 to ship from NY to Maine? Somethings not right.

where did you read Maine in my post, international shipping to the ME region for such a big box is expensive.

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 21, 2009 14:44 |  #28

abdul10000 wrote in post #8500134 (external link)
where did you read Maine in my post, international shipping to the ME region for such a big box is expensive.

LOL, ME is the abbreviation for Maine also! :)

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Aug 21, 2009 14:50 |  #29

abdul10000 wrote in post #8500134 (external link)

Because of the international nature of this family of forums, it would be a good idea to put where you are into your personal profile so that other readers could know that. Many folks naturally, and often mistakenly, assume that folks are from their own home country.

Can I properly presume that the "ME region" means the Middle East region? ME is also the abbreviation for the state of Maine in the U.S.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

BCRose
393 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 21, 2009 20:16 |  #30

The sample photos are shot with focus on the bg, and the light directly on the bg...what if you focus on something 8 feet in front of the bg...like in a real world photo shoot? And with lights positioned properly, That should make a difference.

ComeauPhoto (external link)

sponsored links

5,191 views & 0 likes for this thread
is this normal? how can I fix this background paper?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.