Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 08 Mar 2005 (Tuesday) 16:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How Much do I charge? For your consideration

Kadath
Right, Manage This Digit!
1,642 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Jun 26, 2009 09:56 |  #331

Hi POTN, it's been a while. Michelle McNally hits on some of this tangentially here:
http://www.nytimes.com …es.html?pagewan​ted=1&_r=1 (external link)

Canon 20D, Nikon D300 & assorted stuff...
Kadath @ Flickr (external link) -- Hell, its a regular Dream-Quest... A "Digital American Walkabout" -- My Blog at Navesink.Net (external link)
Have you submitted shots to the official POTN Flickr Pool (external link) Lately?

sponsored links
gregpphoto
Goldmember
1,123 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 26, 2009 12:06 |  #332

Kadath wrote in post #8178764 (external link)
Hi POTN, it's been a while. Michelle McNally hits on some of this tangentially here:
http://www.nytimes.com …es.html?pagewan​ted=1&_r=1 (external link)

Am I supposed to be impressed by Time's photographer Todd Heisler's AWESOME composition in the first shot? Cant understand how those who are the most successful often have the most boring work (see Gregory Crewdson). But I guess they've figured out something that I haven't: how to sell the snake oil.

gregpphoto.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Kadath
1,642 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Jun 26, 2009 13:32 |  #333

I think that sometimes we get so wrapped up around technical details like composition that we forget that the PURPOSE of photography is to tell a story. In that vein I think that both of the 1 in 8 million photos posted on that page succeed, the bike rider far more than the new parents one. It is an emotional picture that gives you a lot of detail to fill in further details for the journalistic background that goes with it.

Technique is a means to an end, not the end in itself. Usually when we see people complaining about mainstream or 'popular' photographs its people who say 'I could do better than that'.

Perhaps you could, but do you have the personality to talk your way into getting the access to that story, do you have the tenacity to make photojournalism a career given the giant sucking sound that is the industry these days, and do you have the vision to be able to bring your concept of what the real story is to the average reader?

http://theonlinephotog​rapher.blogspot.com …graphers-on-internet.html (external link)

Kadath @ Flickr (external link) -- Hell, its a regular Dream-Quest... A "Digital American Walkabout" -- My Blog at Navesink.Net (external link)
Have you submitted shots to the official POTN Flickr Pool (external link) Lately?

gregpphoto
Goldmember
1,123 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 29, 2009 10:50 |  #334

Kadath wrote in post #8179905 (external link)
I think that sometimes we get so wrapped up around technical details like composition that we forget that the PURPOSE of photography is to tell a story. In that vein I think that both of the 1 in 8 million photos posted on that page succeed, the bike rider far more than the new parents one. It is an emotional picture that gives you a lot of detail to fill in further details for the journalistic background that goes with it.

Technique is a means to an end, not the end in itself. Usually when we see people complaining about mainstream or 'popular' photographs its people who say 'I could do better than that'.

Perhaps you could, but do you have the personality to talk your way into getting the access to that story, do you have the tenacity to make photojournalism a career given the giant sucking sound that is the industry these days, and do you have the vision to be able to bring your concept of what the real story is to the average reader?

http://theonlinephotog​rapher.blogspot.com …graphers-on-internet.html (external link)

I have all of that, what I don't have is the desire for photojournalism. I do when it comes to subjects that interest me, of course, but for me, I couldn't stand making a living doing something I have minimum or no interest in. Not to mention that almost none of my work is ever presented "as-is" out of the camera, and the cloning of minor distractions is commonplace in my world. And that sucking sound is also being made by the majority (but certainly not all) of those who work in photojournalism.

Technique and style. You need both. Without your style, your story, you have nothing even with the greatest technique. But the best style or idea in the world just won't land if its not presented in a visually appealing way. Maybe it's just me who doesn't go nuts for that composition, it sure could be, but that's howz I feels it and says it haha.

Flickr (external link)

Kadath
1,642 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Jun 29, 2009 13:52 |  #335

I personally don't agree. I believe it was Ansel Adams who said something like 'There's nothing worse than a sharp picture of a fuzzy concept'. I'll take an emotive picture with crappy gear and disregard for 'the rules' any day. Specifically on that bike rider picture, for me the photo works regardless of the composition, which I don't think is all that bad anyway. It's oppressive negative space.

Kadath
1,642 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Jul 06, 2009 14:31 |  #336

Chase Jarvis again on Free vs. Not Free, with one of the best blog comments of all time:
http://blog.chasejarvi​s.com …gladwell-vs-anderson.html (external link)

Today, we've seen the great abundance and availability of stock photography reducing the value and revenue from individual stock collections. Based on results, I think it is fair to note that generic stock image libraries are among the digital products already on a steady march towards "Free".

Meanwhile, the value of time and creativity from certain specific photographers (like you Chase) have increased greatly over that same period. While photography as a whole is quite abundant (abundant digital items are racing towards "Free" status), the availability of, for example, "Chase Jarvis" is quite scarce these days. (Scarce items maintain and even increase their value).

So I think this has a lot to do with how we manage our careers and art in the future. To maintain our value we must become our own monopoly. Become a "generic" photographer, designer, copywriter, or in my case Mac IT tech, and watch your market value drop as the world shifts.

Become a monopoly of one, and watch your value grow. I may be able to hire a generic photographer at a wide range of prices (including free in some cases). But if I want to hire Chase Jarvis, there is a single person who controls the price and availability of that particular monopoly.

It isn't easy. It isn't even fair. But it is the world we're living in.

btraywick
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 16, 2009 23:09 as a reply to  @ Kadath's post |  #337

I've spent about the last hour, and I've read some really great input that has changed the way I view photography entirely.

I have a quick question/problem, and I was wondering what some of the pros/more experienced guys had to say about this.

I have an EOS Rebel XS, which, considering its an entry level DSLR, has served me pretty well. I've been taking pictures for about a year, but more recently people at my college have been saying I should charge for my photos and that they would not mind paying for the photos I take. I'm really nervous about charging for my pics however because I am far from a profesional, and I surely don't have profesional equipment.

Should I try to spread my wings now, or wait a little while longer til I can upgrade my equipment?

btraywick
Canon Digital Rebel XS| Canon EOS 40D| EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens| 28-90mm f/4-5.6 III | 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM | 50mm f/1.8 "Nifty Fifty"| Sigma 28-70 f/2.8| 430ex SpeedLite | Gary Fong C3 Lightshpere flash diffuser. Check me out at btphotographs.tumblr.c​om

DwightMcCann
so, what are we talking about?
21,400 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 16, 2009 23:13 |  #338

btraywick wrote in post #8294251 (external link)
I've spent about the last hour, and I've read some really great input that has changed the way I view photography entirely.

I have a quick question/problem, and I was wondering what some of the pros/more experienced guys had to say about this.

I have an EOS Rebel XS, which, considering its an entry level DSLR, has served me pretty well. I've been taking pictures for about a year, but more recently people at my college have been saying I should charge for my photos and that they would not mind paying for the photos I take. I'm really nervous about charging for my pics however because I am far from a profesional, and I surely don't have profesional equipment.

Should I try to spread my wings now, or wait a little while longer til I can upgrade my equipment?

Above all things else don't confuse photographic excellence (or goodness anyway) with equipment! I have almost everything and it doesn't make my images all that great. Look at my gear list. Look at my website. If people want to pay then don't disappoint them. And I assure it is a hard but empowering move to "Go Pro!"

Dwight McCann
Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)
Gear List - Concert FAQ - My Small Studio

blkdogak
189 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 14, 2009 09:52 as a reply to  @ post 442473 |  #339

I want to thank all of you for these postings. I just started a small business doing some dog agility photography and dog shows here in Alaska. I thought about those stock photogrpahy places and said to myself go look on potn and see what they say about these places. I'm so glad I did!!! Thanks !!!

stan ­ rude
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 16, 2009 13:39 |  #340

Just a simple question,

I have been doing some motorsport photography, my local news papers aren't interested nether are any of the 5 or 6 magazines i've emailed. I have looked at putting some of them on a stock website but I wouldn't what to give them away. Where and how do I find a website willing and able to sell my pictures?

cheers

kenyc
Cream of the Crop
15,521 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2005

Aug 16, 2009 13:53 |  #341

Well Stan if we knew that, we'd all be making a living from our photography, eh? :) I don't have any suggestions beyond what you've already done, maybe others do.

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Page (external link) - Art Print Gallery (external link) - Blog (external link)
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

gregpphoto
Goldmember
1,123 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 16, 2009 18:49 |  #342

stan rude wrote in post #8469594 (external link)
Where and how do I find a website willing and able to sell my pictures?

Redbubble.com

Flickr (external link)

Kadath
1,642 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 17, 2009 08:56 |  #343

http://www.gapingvoid.​com/dinosaur001.jpg (external link)

=)

Kadath
1,642 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 19, 2009 09:34 |  #344

For those interested in stock, Scott Kelby's Guest Blogger this week is the head of iStock:
http://www.scottkelby.​com/blog/2009/archives​/6175 (external link)

The comments are more interesting to me than the article tho:
http://www.scottkelby.​com …09/archives/617​5#comments (external link)

Ryan.
108 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 21, 2009 17:15 as a reply to  @ Kadath's post |  #345

Someone contacted me about using one of my photos for her business card. What would be a reasonable price?

Thanks,
-Ryan.

---- ----- ----

sponsored links

309,836 views & 9 likes for this thread
How Much do I charge? For your consideration
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.