Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Aug 2009 (Sunday) 19:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New 5D2 underexposing

nik.hisham
745 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 23, 2009 19:44 |  #1

Hi,

I'm looking to compare notes and get some advice.

I just got a 5D2 recently (yay!) but since messing around with it for the past week, I've found that most of the pictures it takes are underexposed by a bit more than 1/2 stop (based on histogram). My comparison is against my 50D using the same lens and same lighting condition. Metering on both cameras are the same mode.

Is this normal? Or should I send it in to Canon? Or is this something you would deem acceptable?

Fwiw, I shoot RAW and can adjust in post.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Nik.

5D Mark II | 50 F1.8 II | 35L | 17-40L | 38-76 "Macro" | 580EX II | 430EX
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Replaces
Goldmember
1,079 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 23, 2009 19:47 |  #2

i wouldn't bother sending it in.
it happened a lot with nikon body before i sold it...
just a little EC and its good to go.

"If you don't walk today, you have to run tomorrow."
Nikon, then Canon, then Nikon again. But I still love POTN over NikonCafe. :p

Nikon D90, MB-D80, Nikon D600, MB-D14, Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G, Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G VR.

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 23, 2009 19:49 |  #3

If it presents a problem in practice, have it serviced. If it doesn't, don't.

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,281 posts
Gallery: 805 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 23, 2009 19:52 |  #4

Mine does as well... 2/3 underexposed to be exact. I called Canon about it, and they wanted me to send it in, as well as send comparison photos. Seeing as how I just got the camera and would rather be out taking photos, I decided to just live with it and use EC, hoping that they will release a fix in the next firmware. If not, I will send it in.

Canon/Nikon/Fuji

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 23, 2009 19:56 as a reply to  @ MatthewK's post |  #5

I think the 5DII meter is actually pretty accurate, though it tends to underexpose a bit (maybe 1/3 stop) compared to other Canon cameras. With general indoor lighting, evaluative metering, I'll often use a +2/3 EC as kind of my base point (I generally use +1/3 on the 20D/5D).

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

nik.hisham
THREAD ­ STARTER
745 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 23, 2009 20:08 |  #6

Thanks all. Considering it only takes a little EC, and also that its brand spanking new, I'd rather not send it in yet - maybe later. But its strange that it behaves this way. My 450D (already sold) and my 50D had no variance - at least none that were immediately obvious. But the 5D2 was pretty obvious. Without even looking at the histogram, I could tell that pictures were darker. The histogram only validated it. Its still a heck of a camera tho. I've still not gotten over how much better pictures turn out on this body.

flickr (external link)

TexRex
345 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 23, 2009 20:14 |  #7

Yeah mine underexposes as well and my friends does the same. I always have EC like +2/3.

Canon stuff....

Collin85
Cream of the Crop
8,164 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 23, 2009 20:52 |  #8

nik.hisham wrote in post #8511103 (external link)
Thanks all. Considering it only takes a little EC, and also that its brand spanking new, I'd rather not send it in yet - maybe later. But its strange that it behaves this way. My 450D (already sold) and my 50D had no variance - at least none that were immediately obvious. But the 5D2 was pretty obvious. Without even looking at the histogram, I could tell that pictures were darker. The histogram only validated it. Its still a heck of a camera tho. I've still not gotten over how much better pictures turn out on this body.

You may be surprised but the variance over bodies (well, not specific bodies, but moreso models) can differ quite a bit. I recall the hordes of people complaining that the 400D underexposed by an average of 2/3rds of a stop, and it was just a case of the metering there being programmed to preserve highlights whenever possible. Dial a little EC and be happy!

Col | Flickr (external link)

Sony A7 + Leica 50 Lux ASPH, Oly E-M5 + 12/2
Canon 5D3, 16-35L, 50L, 85L, 135L

wickerprints
"Shooting blanks"
864 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 23, 2009 20:56 |  #9

The only way to know whether your meter is underexposing is to do gray card shots.

5DmkII :: EF 24-105/4L IS :: EF 85/1.8 :: EF 70-200/2.8L IS :: EF 100/2.8L IS macro (coming soon!)

nik.hisham
THREAD ­ STARTER
745 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 23, 2009 21:15 |  #10

Collin85 wrote in post #8511328 (external link)
... the metering there being programmed to preserve highlights whenever possible. Dial a little EC and be happy!

Hmmm.. you've hit something with that. I do have highlight tone priority enabled and wonder if that is what is causing it to go 1/2 stop under. Will have to play around with that.

wickerprints wrote in post #8511342 (external link)
The only way to know whether your meter is underexposing is to do gray card shots.

Would just comparing histograms of photos from two bodies and same lenses not be just as good, or will grey cards be more conclusive?

Thanks.

flickr (external link)

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 23, 2009 21:22 |  #11

nik.hisham wrote in post #8511437 (external link)
Hmmm.. you've hit something with that. I do have highlight tone priority enabled and wonder if that is what is causing it to go 1/2 stop under. Will have to play around with that.

Would just comparing histograms of photos from two bodies and same lenses not be just as good, or will grey cards be more conclusive?

Thanks.

Grey cards will be conclusive.
Comparing bodies may not be since, for example, it is generally impossible to create exactly the same image using the same lens with the same settings with different formats.

sebmour
Goldmember
1,417 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 23, 2009 21:37 |  #12

I have two 5DII and I have no issue with proper exposition other then my error. Do not forget that black or white background have an issue on your lightmetering unless you use spot!

Montreal and Destination wedding photographer (external link)
5DIII, 5DII X2, 15mm f2.8, 24L,35L, 50 1.4, 85LII, 135L, 200LIS, 2X430EXII, 4X580EXII

sponsored links

1,485 views & 0 likes for this thread
New 5D2 underexposing
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.