Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 17 Jun 2008 (Tuesday) 13:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens Baby

rvdw98
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 04, 2009 10:31 |  #106

joedlh wrote in post #8396805 (external link)
It's the kind of tool that might serve a useful purpose to direct the eye of a beginning photographer, but deserves to be consigned to oblivion once he or she develops any skill.

So what you're basically saying is that none of the contributors to this thread have developed any skill whatsoever.

Roy

sponsored links
HankScorpio
Goldmember
2,700 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 04, 2009 11:24 |  #107

joedlh wrote in post #8396805 (external link)
I view it as a passing fad ........ but deserves to be consigned to oblivion once he or she develops any skill.

It's a tool like every other lens, filter or processing method. You can't dismiss it simply because you have no current need for it.

Saying it's a lens for the unskilled is both insulting and ignorant. Clearly you've never used one otherwise you would know that they require a deeper knowledge of the fundamentals of photography on order to work them than a lens that can use the green box or other newbie modes.

My collection of boxes with holes (external link)
EXIF semper intacta.
Gort! Klaatu barada nikto.

ScootersDaddy
398 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 04, 2009 20:04 |  #108

That's it. I'm going onto the next 17-55 f2.8 thread and posting something along the lines of: "Well this is clearly a lens for beginners and once you become a real photographer and move on to the full frame experience you'll forget all about this childish 17-55 EOS stuff." Give me a break.

A truly creative person would never discount the possibilities of using any tool whatsoever, no matter how silly it might seem, in the creation of art. To be stuck on razor sharp, color correct and compositionally perfect images and to think that that is the only kind of legitimate photograph is very foolish indeed. Is that the reaction that occurred when the color film came in and eventually pushed aside b&w? Oh, and what about those heavily Photoshop manipulated images? Are they somehow OK but a Lensbaby is not?

BTW, Lensbaby is also an excellent example of web marketing done right. Those folks are very smart and really have their act together. As an internet based small business owner myself I can really appreciate how well done their approach is and it is obvious they are very talented and creative folks.

--Peter
Bodies may come and go but L glass is forever.
PhotoBlog (external link) Gear List

blackviolet
Goldmember
1,313 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Aug 04, 2009 20:27 |  #109

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3200/3132894158_db79306096_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/0bli0/313289415​8/  (external link)

1d mark iii || lensbaby composer w/ plastic optic

--
oblio
1dmkiii - 5dmkii -Leica M8/M6 - Mamiya 645AFDiii/zd
ModelMayhem (external link) | my (external link)flick (external link)r gallery (external link)

kloodee
121 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 22, 2009 01:17 |  #110

just got the MUSE double glass, a very sharp lens wen stopped down, i'm just wondering about the Apreture you recieve with it, i got F(2.8, 4 , 5.6 , 8 ) but i didnt get the F22 where it's there in the manual !

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

100% crop

IMAGE NOT FOUND
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Canon 500D, iso 100, F4, 1/1000 sec

CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 24, 2009 08:53 |  #111

My 2.0 is still sitting in the box. Still trying to figure out if I should return it or open it up and use it.

Joe- 2 bodies, L 2.8 zoom trilogy and a couple of primes
iRocktheShot.com (external link) - Portfolio (external link)

Gear/Feedback
Facebook "Fan" Page (external link) -

brownbugger
941 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 24, 2009 08:55 |  #112

very interesting , gives sort of a holgaesque effect if i may say so , after seeing all these images I cant help but put it on my wishlist

Gripped Canon 50D, Canon 400D with BG-E3 Grip, 580 EXII Flash, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L , Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L / Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 /Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 / Tamron AF18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD

ScootersDaddy
398 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 24, 2009 10:50 |  #113

Composer with double glass optic and custom apertures:

IMAGE: http://www.atwoodknives.com/pics/fire1.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.atwoodknives.com/pics/planterblast.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.atwoodknives.com/pics/orangemushrooms.jpg

--Peter

S-S
frustrating simple something
8,751 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 24, 2009 23:57 |  #114

kloodee wrote in post #8502810 (external link)
just got the MUSE double glass, a very sharp lens wen stopped down, i'm just wondering about the Apreture you recieve with it, i got F(2.8, 4 , 5.6 , 8 ) but i didnt get the F22 where it's there in the manual !

i dont think the higher apertures come with versions below control freak or composer because its too hard to handhold them still long enough without blurring, cos of the squeeze etc

S-S
frustrating simple something
8,751 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 25, 2009 00:00 |  #115

susabell wrote in post #8392199 (external link)
It is a fun lens and I really think some dismiss it too easily. Here is one I took last spring. I took shots with a regular lens too. But the lensbaby shot was the best of the bunch.

QUOTED IMAGE

that is a fantastic shot, looks like a more expensive TS-E was used
well done

in response to the 'haters' - its a lot harder to take quality photos with a lens like this than with a conventional, more expensive lens. you definitely need more skill to have solid control over the outcome (rather than just experimenting and fluking a lucky shot)

dbrod1
99 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 31, 2009 16:00 |  #116

susabell wrote in post #8392199 (external link)
It is a fun lens and I really think some dismiss it too easily. Here is one I took last spring. I took shots with a regular lens too. But the lensbaby shot was the best of the bunch.

QUOTED IMAGE

An amazing shot...I'd be interested to know more about your setup on this...aperture ring, etc...

Thanks!

ErnieT
717 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 07, 2009 23:11 |  #117

Far from good but here goes, first day out using it. I borrowed it for a few days. Composer + 5D MKII.

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2628/3898589501_12e44d98a6_b.jpg

Canon 5D MKIII, Canon 7D MKII, Canon 16-35 F4L IS, Canon 70-200mm F2.8, Canon 100-400 MKII, Sigma 35mm F1.4 Art

susabell
53 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 10, 2009 10:55 |  #118

dbrod1 wrote in post #8556674 (external link)
An amazing shot...I'd be interested to know more about your setup on this...aperture ring, etc...

Thanks!

Thank everyone :)

I use the 4 ap. ring when shooting on the 40D (which is the camera I used for this shot) When shooting with the 5D I use the 5.6 ring. I found the 4 to be too blurry with the full frame.

I shoot everything in RAW so the only other setting was the shutter speed. I'll have to look that up.

5D MKII, 40D, 17-40mmL, 60mm, 85mm 1.8,
|Flickr| (external link)

susabell
53 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 10, 2009 10:56 |  #119

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

The lensbaby can work well for portraits too. I really do love this lens :D

5D MKII, 40D, 17-40mmL, 60mm, 85mm 1.8,
|Flickr| (external link)

ScootersDaddy
398 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 17, 2009 18:40 |  #120

Four from this weekend down at the power canal. They drain it every year for a week to do repairs. Always an interesting place.

IMAGE: http://www.atwoodknives.com/pics/waterclouds.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.atwoodknives.com/pics/toycanal.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.atwoodknives.com/pics/canalblur.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.atwoodknives.com/pics/canalgrasses.jpg

--Peter

sponsored links

106,096 views & 63 likes for this thread
Lens Baby
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.