Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 May 2008 (Saturday) 22:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DS MkI owners unite!

ebann
Once an ugly duckling
3,396 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Aug 24, 2009 20:04 |  #241

AudibleSilence wrote in post #8517068 (external link)
Is it the old school batteries or is it the software/firmware controlling battery consumption that is the major cause of the relatively poor battery life?

In the 1D/1Ds we don't have Digic chips, it's some IC which consumes a lot of juice. In the 1D it is compounded by power hungry CCD sensor.

edit: but on the plus side, 1D/1Ds/1D2/1Ds2 batteries are very easy to fix! Just crack the case open and replace the old Ni-MH AA batteries for new ones. It'll be as good as new. A little bit of electronics knowledge will help.

Ellery Bann
Fuji X100
6D | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 50 1.4
1D Mk IV | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 135 2L | 400 5.6L

sponsored links
fWord
Goldmember
2,637 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 24, 2009 21:58 |  #242

ebann wrote in post #8517175 (external link)
In the 1D/1Ds we don't have Digic chips, it's some IC which consumes a lot of juice. In the 1D it is compounded by power hungry CCD sensor.

edit: but on the plus side, 1D/1Ds/1D2/1Ds2 batteries are very easy to fix! Just crack the case open and replace the old Ni-MH AA batteries for new ones. It'll be as good as new. A little bit of electronics knowledge will help.

A number of folks like to say that the 1Ds really has a DIGIC I processor, except that Canon didn't have a name for it as such, at that time. That would make sense, considering Canon came up with DIGIC II in a number of other newer cameras (including the 1Ds MKII) without stating where it's predecessor went to. It's all in the marketing I suppose.

LightWorks Portfolio (external link)
Night Photography Tutorial: Basics & Minutiae (external link)
Gear List (Past & Present)
The Art of Composition IS the Art of Photography.

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,546 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 25, 2009 06:22 as a reply to  @ fWord's post |  #243

If speed is important, then you buy a different camera. Simple as.

As for the noise issue at high ISO, believe it or not some people actually used to like grain and shot fast film and push processed to get a certain look. I wouldn't personally want to create colour images at 1250ISO from the 1Ds, but they convert to b&w rather well and look rather attractive to me. Besides, I have another camera to shoot high ISO if I really need to. I bought it knowing exactly what I was going to use it for: 100 ISO wide angle landscape shots usually from a tripod.

The ISO race is becoming as old as the megapixel race if you ask me. I want Canon to go the other way and give me negative ISO. Stacking ND filters is a pain in the arse and vignettes like a bugger!!

The weathersealing got tested today. Unfortunately I forgot that the optics need to be kept clear of droplets to get proper shots! :lol: DOH!!! Lost a whole pile of shots :(

Here's one I rescued:

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3497/3855768204_083ff3abaa_o.jpg

Scott/Spacemunkie:My photos (external link)

cupra_flo
550 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 25, 2009 06:45 |  #244

Spacemunkie wrote in post #8519127 (external link)
If speed is important, then you buy a different camera. Simple as.

As for the noise issue at high ISO, believe it or not some people actually used to like grain and shot fast film and push processed to get a certain look. I wouldn't personally want to create colour images at 1250ISO from the 1Ds, but they convert to b&w rather well and look rather attractive to me. Besides, I have another camera to shoot high ISO if I really need to. I bought it knowing exactly what I was going to use it for: 100 ISO wide angle landscape shots usually from a tripod.

The ISO race is becoming as old as the megapixel race if you ask me. I want Canon to go the other way and give me negative ISO. Stacking ND filters is a pain in the arse and vignettes like a bugger!!

The weathersealing got tested today. Unfortunately I forgot that the optics need to be kept clear of droplets to get proper shots! :lol: DOH!!! Lost a whole pile of shots :(

Here's one I rescued:

QUOTED IMAGE

i´ll go for an eos 1D2 or 1D2n...fits more to my needs :)
but i dont see the pic? did it got washed away?! :D

My fotocommunity (external link) -=|=- My Gear

fWord
Goldmember
2,637 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 25, 2009 07:01 as a reply to  @ Spacemunkie's post |  #245

If the beauty of grain/ noise is to be justified let's study these samples:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i269.photobucke​t.com …idkiwi/MansBest​Friend.jpg (external link)

This photo was specifically stylized in Photoshop using the Graphic Pen action. In a downsized image it looks like a very grainy photo and the original didn't look anywhere near as atmospheric as this.

http://i269.photobucke​t.com …4/liquidkiwi/32​6V2008.jpg (external link)

This photo of a dark passage is nice and grainy, not that it would be noted in a downsized image.

http://img.photobucket​.com …/v51/s1ckpuppy/​IMG29b.jpg (external link)

Grainy again, but the appearance of the photo doesn't scream 'artificial'.

http://img.photobucket​.com …51/s1ckpuppy/FA​BE6234.jpg (external link)

Ah hah! Tricked ya! This was taken with the 1D Classic, not the 1Ds.

Point is: grain can be lovely if used carefully. If you don't like ANY grain or noise whatsoever, then don't buy the 1Ds or 1D. The vast majority of people prefer to shoot without being tied to using a flash or a tripod, and so do I.

For this reason the noise levels of the 1Ds are immediately exposed and are perceived as a flaw. Expose properly (and more importantly, avoid underexposure) and light your subject properly. Compose well. Catch moments. Do all these and your audience will love your pictures, grainy or not.

Maybe I'm a little thick in the head, but I still don't understand why noise levels are the be all and end all for such a big proportion of photographers.

LightWorks Portfolio (external link)
Night Photography Tutorial: Basics & Minutiae (external link)
Gear List (Past & Present)
The Art of Composition IS the Art of Photography.

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,546 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 25, 2009 07:03 |  #246

I almost bought a 1D2 the other day :D

Talked myself out of it. I want a 1Ds2 :)

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,546 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 25, 2009 07:09 |  #247

Ooh! Grain!! Can I play :D

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3352/3489370707_443c072c48_o.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3222/3462638716_ab6102cc33_o.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3460/3192817048_edfaa6c2b4.jpg

ebann
Once an ugly duckling
3,396 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Aug 25, 2009 07:10 |  #248

Spacemunkie wrote in post #8519233 (external link)
I almost bought a 1D2 the other day :D

Talked myself out of it. I want a 1Ds2 :)

I myself am debating really hard whether I should get the 1Ds2 or 1D3... many pros and cons for both... I was really set on the 1Ds2... but now the 1D3 is falling within the same price range.

The 24-105 is a match made in heaven for FF... won't be so with a cropper. Decisions, decisions, how I love them!

Ellery Bann
Fuji X100

ebann
Once an ugly duckling
3,396 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Aug 25, 2009 07:13 |  #249

I do love the grain... and that is why I sold my 5D for the 1Ds... but after a while, when creativity ceases and paid work comes in, grains get in the way! I was suffering trying to get workable images at high ISO... I had to resort to the XTi for those shots! Can you believe it? Something is wrong when I'm grabbing my XTi instead of my beautiful 1Ds!

Ellery Bann
Fuji X100

cupra_flo
550 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 25, 2009 08:20 |  #250

The Noise is what keeps me drifting away from the 1Ds.
1d2n or Even 1d3 will Be my choice, ff isn't that important fory work. I love working in natural light so higher iso gets very important. And the 5d2 doesnt has the loved xD Body :-/

My fotocommunity (external link) -=|=- My Gear

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 25, 2009 12:24 |  #251
bannedPermanent ban

ebann wrote in post #8519260 (external link)
I do love the grain... and that is why I sold my 5D for the 1Ds... but after a while, when creativity ceases and paid work comes in, grains get in the way! I was suffering trying to get workable images at high ISO... I had to resort to the XTi for those shots! Can you believe it? Something is wrong when I'm grabbing my XTi instead of my beautiful 1Ds!

I've already decided to get a second body, probably a 40/50/5d next month just for clarity. I plan on using the 1ds when I go abroad because it's rugged and will survive.

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

ebann
Once an ugly duckling
3,396 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Aug 25, 2009 12:27 |  #252

AudibleSilence wrote in post #8520760 (external link)
I've already decided to get a second body, probably a 40/50/5d next month just for clarity. I plan on using the 1ds when I go abroad because it's rugged and will survive.

Hah, I plan on using my XTi+18-55+35/2 kit when I go abroad because it's cheap and painless if stolen... image quality also beats the pants out of P&S!

Ellery Bann
Fuji X100

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 25, 2009 13:54 |  #253
bannedPermanent ban

ebann wrote in post #8520783 (external link)
Hah, I plan on using my XTi+18-55+35/2 kit when I go abroad because it's cheap and painless if stolen... image quality also beats the pants out of P&S!

My camera won't be stolen. The whole reason I am going to Cuba and the Middle East is to take pictures..I'll be damned if someone ruins that. They can have my Canon when they pry it from my cold dead hand. :lol: though the joy of watching some dude half my size try to run off with my heavy 1ds would be priceless.

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,546 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 25, 2009 14:44 as a reply to  @ MichaelBernard's post |  #254

My gear's insured new for old.

I'd hand the 1Ds over to my mugger with a smile on my face and book an early flight home to sort out my new 1Ds3. :D

Sod it, they can have the entire bag and I'll start from scratch....

ebann
Once an ugly duckling
3,396 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Aug 25, 2009 14:51 |  #255

Spacemunkie wrote in post #8521408 (external link)
My gear's insured new for old.

I'd hand the 1Ds over to my mugger with a smile on my face and book an early flight home to sort out my new 1Ds3. :D

Sod it, they can have the entire bag and I'll start from scratch....

even better, get the insurance money and rebuy your gear back from fleabay and pocket the rest!

Ellery Bann
Fuji X100

sponsored links

330,782 views & 50 likes for this thread
1DS MkI owners unite!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.