Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 19 Aug 2009 (Wednesday) 07:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Aug 09 7D Rumor Thread with pics. (since the 1D4 = fail we move on )

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,415 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 25, 2009 20:14 |  #571

McChook wrote in post #8522929 (external link)
Can I join you in that heaven?
I'll bring ladies to shoot yes?

If a 7D is a "xxD" in FF with above average AF, I'll be placing my pre-order on announcement. I just don't see it happening

Heck, the 5D MkII is basically a 50D with video and full frame already.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links
McChook
57 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 25, 2009 20:24 |  #572

gjl711 wrote in post #8522979 (external link)
Heck, the 5D MkII is basically a 50D with video and full frame already.

Frame rate too slow for me, only downside. Video makes no difference to me. 15mp would be fine for me

Basically, I'll trade in my 40D - or revert it to backup body - on the back of the announcements made in the next week or so. Either "7D" or 5DII, but either way, FF is my next step.
Honestly, I think there's a large number of people armed with EF lenses and crop bodies waiting to jump to FF.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 25, 2009 20:33 |  #573

McChook wrote in post #8523047 (external link)
Frame rate too slow for me, only downside. Video makes no difference to me. 15mp would be fine for me

Basically, I'll trade in my 40D - or revert it to backup body - on the back of the announcements made in the next week or so. Either "7D" or 5DII, but either way, FF is my next step.
Honestly, I think there's a large number of people armed with EF lenses and crop bodies waiting to jump to FF.

But people keep tossing out the "Pro" chestnut...

- Pro Weather Sealing
- Pro AF
- Pro Frame Rate

I jsut don't think there is a hoard of "Pros" out there who feel the same way about FF, hence, not the demand that some feel exsists.

Canon can prove me wrong though if they'd like...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

McChook
57 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 25, 2009 20:47 |  #574

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #8523106 (external link)
But people keep tossing out the "Pro" chestnut...

- Pro Weather Sealing
- Pro AF
- Pro Frame Rate

I jsut don't think there is a hoard of "Pros" out there who feel the same way about FF, hence, not the demand that some feel exsists.

Canon can prove me wrong though if they'd like...

I deliberately haven't used the "pro" tag.
I don't think their should be an immediate connection between FF and pro. Especially since the 5D/5DII has been a massive hit with hobbiests, and 1Ds bodies are not uncommon with the general photgraphic population.

I have the personal opinion that a very consumer focused FF camera, without the "pro" tag, would be a hit - much like a xxD body, but FF.

I may be wrong, but I think it would keep canon owners with canon cameras as they get better...

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,415 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 25, 2009 20:53 |  #575

McChook wrote in post #8523168 (external link)
I have the personal opinion that a very consumer focused FF camera, without the "pro" tag, would be a hit - much like a xxD body, but FF. .

Again, isn't this what the 5DMkII is? Feature for feature it's nearly identical with the 50D, only full frame.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

weezerfan84
903 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 25, 2009 20:59 |  #576

McChook wrote in post #8523047 (external link)

Yes. Once the 5d2 came out and made the 5d affordable as an upgrade, many people were ready to jump ship, me included. I have no regrets of moving to FF either, even though the menu setup is old. The image quality out of the camera is just impressive. I've never used a 50d, but I know my 40d can't duplicate what my 5d can. Even if the 7d was just FF, people would jump on it. I agree that many people have cropped bodies with EF lenses and L lenses just waiting to move over. The only thing that is holding them back is many don't want the 5d classic due to age. I had no problem moving "up" to that body though.

Canon 5D classic/Canon 85 1.8/17-40L/Siggy 50 f/1.4 ex/430ex speedlite/and some books

My slowly improving flickr (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=735845

sbrian28
114 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 25, 2009 21:01 |  #577

jacobsen1 wrote in post #8520459 (external link)
right, but at more than TWICE the price, plus the 1DsIII is also LACKING in some specs (video, price and ISOs)

my theoretical version of the 7D has the same AF as the 5Dii. It's got the same points etc, just tweaked to track faster. So the only differences is you TRADE MP for FPS. They'd either need to implement the pellicular mirror the patented last year or improve the mirror assembly to handle the speed, but otherwise I'd be the same memory in the same chassis (probably adding a pop up flash).

I agree adding 1 series AF would kill the 5Dii sales if a 7D were FF and ~16mp as some 5Dii buyers are getting 1DsIIs instead. But I don't see them putting 1 series AF in the 7D, or 60D for that matter.

and while the D300 may beat the 50D in some specs, it doesn't BLOW it away IMHO. It's got better AF and a nicer sounding shutter, but what else? FPS with a grip (which is a trick canon needs to learn). But beyond that, the D300 COSTS more which is why it gets the added AF boost. IMHO the 60D will get an IQ boost via better processing to catch the D300 in terms of noise while keeping the extra MP and will remain with the lower AF counts.

are 50D owners really crying about their AF too these days? Because I hear it a lot from 5Dii POTENTIAL owners, but not really the guys who bought them. Hell, I even know a few nikon to canon converts who will say the nikon AF is great, but it's not that big a difference (citing accuracy is better with canon).

I think a lot of people make 1 series AF to be much more important than it is for most of us. Yes it's better, no doubt, but how many of us NEED it? How many of us NEED the AF from the D300/D700. And I'm CONSIDERING switching to a D700 right now (my 5Dii drowned Sunday) so these are all things I'm taking a look at. AF speed isn't a huge deal for me with the switch as I was very happy with my 5Dii. But the FPS are very alluring for me. ;)

Other things I found the D300 had better than the 50D when I switched to Nikon were: the feel, the D300 does feel like a pro body, it feels like it just molds to your hand (ie. it feels really great), the interface is much better in that more buttons are programmable and more functions have buttons, rather than menus, 100% viewfinder coverage, remote flash trigger in the body, and weathersealing. I do think the 30D I owned was easier to use but it also had a lot fewer capabilities and functions to learn.

http://www.silvertouch​photography.com (external link)http://photos.silverto​uchphotography.com (external link)
My Flickr (external link)

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 25, 2009 21:19 |  #578

gjl711 wrote in post #8523210 (external link)
Again, isn't this what the 5DMkII is? Feature for feature it's nearly identical with the 50D, only full frame.

And outer AF point performance.

McChook
57 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 25, 2009 21:20 |  #579

gjl711 wrote in post #8523210 (external link)

At twice the price, only a considerable few would put them side by side and have to think about it. Money wise, its quite a stupid comparison.

Not to mention, 5DII has video and 3.9 fps, 50D has 6.3 fps and no video.
2 features that aren't quite side by side.....

tldoxmf87
145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 26, 2009 00:29 |  #580
bannedPermanent ban

Confirmed FACTS:

Canon 7D is not FF.
Also it will have something called the 'magic 144' which is not seen even in the 1D series.

Again, this is confirmed.

Camera: Canon 1Ds Mark II / Canon 5D / Canon 1D Mark III / Canon 40D / Canon 30D
Lenses: Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 / Canon 50mm f1.8 II / Canon 85mm f1.8 / Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 / Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L / Canon 70-200mm f2.8 [COLOR=black]L / Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L IS
Flash: Metz 58AF-1 / Vivitar 285HV / Sunpak 120J / Metz 45CL-4

HokkaidoStu
323 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 26, 2009 00:34 |  #581

tldoxmf87 wrote in post #8524208 (external link)

Confirmed FACTS:

Canon 7D is not FF.
Also it will have something called the 'magic 144' which is not seen even in the 1D series.

Confirmed? By who?

my blog (external link)
my SmugMug page (external link)

KCY
Unlocked the hidden 117 point AF
7,170 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 26, 2009 01:50 |  #582

HokkaidoStu wrote in post #8524219 (external link)
Confirmed? By who?

bah rumor threads, got to love/hate them.

By my sisters, mothers, husbands, brothers, wifes, nephew? :p

KC - The Circle of PoTN - Member of the UCPC
My Gear|My Smugmug (external link)|Pong

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Aug 26, 2009 01:55 |  #583
bannedPermanent ban

tldoxmf87 wrote in post #8524208 (external link)

Confirmed FACTS:

Canon 7D is not FF.

Ohh Dark Red text, this MUST be true!!! :rolleyes:

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Aug 26, 2009 01:56 |  #584
bannedPermanent ban

sbrian28 wrote in post #8523251 (external link)
Other things I found the D300 had better than the 50D when I switched to Nikon were: the feel, the D300 does feel like a pro body, it feels like it just molds to your hand (ie. it feels really great), the interface is much better in that more buttons are programmable and more functions have buttons, rather than menus,

Matter of opinion.

Personally I dislike greatly the "feel" of nikon cameras,they feel very awkward to me.

Each to their own.

Also, IMHO nikon over do the buttons. But YMMV.

J_TULLAR
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 26, 2009 03:25 |  #585

Stealthy Ninja wrote in post #8524460 (external link)
Matter of opinion.

Personally I dislike greatly the "feel" of nikon cameras,they feel very awkward to me.

Each to their own.

Also, IMHO nikon over do the buttons. But YMMV.

agreed ! Everytime I put my friends d3 and d2x to my face my fat cheeks hit the dpad and change the focus points !!! Very annoying to say the least.

Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

125,685 views & 0 likes for this thread
Aug 09 7D Rumor Thread with pics. (since the 1D4 = fail we move on )
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.