Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Aug 2009 (Tuesday) 18:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24-70...is it really that hard to get a good copy???

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,985 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 27, 2009 07:06 |  #46

snyderman wrote in post #8531277 (external link)
Mine is on a 50D with microadjust at "0." Unfortunatly, I'm still too inexperienced to really judge the natural sharpness of my 24-70. It looks pretty sharp to me.

dave

That's all that matters, if it is sharp enough for you, then it is fine. You will go crazy trying to one-up somebody else by microadjusting, sending in lenses for service, swapping lenses, etc. If you are happy, it is just fine!

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links
Kuma
996 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 27, 2009 07:24 as a reply to  @ post 8523388 |  #47

First try and my copy is sharp with no issues. I feel sorry for the people who've had problems with this lens. On the other hand I've read quite a few posts where it was definitely user error.

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 27, 2009 07:37 |  #48
bannedPermanently

minesss good

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,732 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 27, 2009 10:22 |  #49

Krapo wrote in post #8531087 (external link)
My copy is razor sharp at all range and aperture. However, I do have rear-focusing issues at wide range (24-40).
Typical situations: group shots. You lock the focus on the group with the center AF point, and when you look at the picture you see that the focus was made on the wall 5 meters behind.
That's a real problem for me.
I'll probably end up sending it to Canon (although it's not under warranty since I bought it in the US), but right now I would be better off with a prime.

A real pity because the colour, contrast and sharpness of this lens are awesome, and I love its range.

I think this is more common than not. Since I use the long end more i dont see this often. On my 50d I saw this BF issue on the wide end wide open, even stopped down a tad. I dont see this all the time but its occurred even when I do several identical frames.

If people are observant they may see this anomaly.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

greazyjungle
117 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 27, 2009 10:27 as a reply to  @ AlanU's post |  #50

I think may of those complaining about 'bad copies' have SOFT technique...not a soft lens...

Mine is tack sharp!!

Mark
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada Mark Horton Images (external link)
5D mk III, 7D mk II, 15mm f/2.8, 16-35 f/2.8 L, 24-70 f/2.8 II L II, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 300 f/4 L IS, Extender 1.4x, Extender 2.0x, 580 EX II, 580EX x3

Krapo
Goldmember
1,018 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 27, 2009 11:38 |  #51

AlanU wrote in post #8532290 (external link)
I think this is more common than not. Since I use the long end more i dont see this often. On my 50d I saw this BF issue on the wide end wide open, even stopped down a tad. I dont see this all the time but its occurred even when I do several identical frames.

If people are observant they may see this anomaly.

I'm afraid you're right. The most relayed issue with the brick is back-focusing, not sharpness issue.
Even on my BF shots, the element on which the focus ended up is tack sharp. It's just not the point you wanted to focus on :)

I still believe this is a great lens due to its range and aperture, but I'm really puzzled by Canon's quality control process.

I would understand if all the faulty lenses were from the same batch, but it's been a while since this issue came up!
I mean, it's not like this is something that cannot easily be tested at the end of the assembly line! On top of that, people who send their bad lens to Canon eventually get it fix. So why not fix it in the first place before the lens leaves the factory??!

It doesn't matter what is the default rate, although I believe it's far from a six sigma process... What matters is that they deliberatly let bad copies leave the factory, knowing there is an issue. For self-proclaimed "Luxury"-grade lenses costing more than a grand, this is just unacceptable.

Fran├žois
---
40D + grip, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 24-70 f/2.8L, 17-40 f/4L, 50 f/1.4, 580 EX II
www.casualvision.com (external link)

Krapo
Goldmember
1,018 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 27, 2009 11:45 |  #52

greazyjungle wrote in post #8532322 (external link)
I think may of those complaining about 'bad copies' have SOFT technique...not a soft lens...

Mine is tack sharp!!

And I think your statement is rather bold, to say the least.
Believe me, I know how to focus and I have never experienced this problem with any other lens.

You're lucky to have a good copy. I'm not saying that this lens is r@p (INVALID EMAIL) -far at the contrary- nor that most copies are bad. But if someone wants to buy it, he should know what to check before he leaves the shop with his new toy.

And people should also know that Canon has chosen to outsource its quality control process to its customers...

Fran├žois
---
40D + grip, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 24-70 f/2.8L, 17-40 f/4L, 50 f/1.4, 580 EX II
www.casualvision.com (external link)

iwishiwasafish
144 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 27, 2009 11:55 |  #53
bannedPermanent ban

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i253.photobucke​t.com …ad8/baby_squirr​els008.jpg (external link)

great lens and very sharp but i sold mine and dont really miss it. it was just too big and heavy for what it was. id rather use primes.

cardboard box camera
bio (external link)
blog (external link)

J_TULLAR
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 27, 2009 12:07 |  #54

1st...what the crap is that^ 2nd I hope mine is sharp when it arrives....

Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

hvulpus
67 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 27, 2009 12:11 as a reply to  @ Krapo's post |  #55

I am currently in the process of having my 50D/24-70L recalibrated by Canon. Bought it at B and H, took it with me on a 5-week trip to shoot related to my work (art historian), then found in the field that it was soft. I could sharpen in post-shoot well enough for a Powerpoint presentation; but shots did not come out of the camera at the sharpness one expects from such a rig. In fact, for architectural detail and texture of, say, stone or glass, sharpness is important.

Sent it off once to Canon and came back with explanation for 50D, "it was found that the part was out of position the focus did not operate properly. Adjusted exposure & f/b focus w/ lens, cleaned C-MOS and checked all factory specs." And for lens, "it was found that the part was out of position the focus did not operate properly. Replaced collars. Adjusted center/tilt/focus w/body, cleaned factory specs."

It still does not focus sharply, seems somewhat erratic, short and long focal lengths, near and distant subjects, F2.8-8.0, indoors and out, with or without tripod, always shooting fast enough to prevent shake.

It is now back with Canon Factory Service in NJ.

Can anyone with experience with Canon Factory Service advise me about next steps if it still does not focus satisfactorily?

P.S. I am happy to hear of people whose equipment works, and I am indifferent to posts about technique versus equipment. But if neither is your thing and you have something substantive to advise about dealing with Canon on this sort of issue, please do not hesitate to send me a private message, and know that it will be much appreciated.

5DII, 24-70L, Zeiss 2/50mm ZE

iwishiwasafish
144 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 27, 2009 12:16 |  #56
bannedPermanent ban

J_TULLAR wrote in post #8532918 (external link)
1st...what the crap is that^ 2nd I hope mine is sharp when it arrives....

not sure what you mean but it is a baby squirrel that fell out of the nest. dont worry momma came and brought it back up. the shot was @70mm wide open.

cardboard box camera
bio (external link)
blog (external link)

J_TULLAR
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 27, 2009 12:19 |  #57

iwishiwasafish wrote in post #8532970 (external link)
not sure what you mean but it is a baby squirrel that fell out of the nest. dont worry momma came and brought it back up. the shot was @70mm wide open.

never seen a baby squirrel...thought it was a baby kangaroo for a sec or a chinchilla??? lol

Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

MS-18E
128 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 27, 2009 12:55 as a reply to  @ J_TULLAR's post |  #58

What will be an easy test shot and setting anyone can use and shoot to test the focus and sharpness of this lens in a shop or at home?

If there is a benchmark to compare to, it will be easier to spot a problematic piece.

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 27, 2009 13:40 |  #59

hvulpus wrote in post #8532943 (external link)
I am currently in the process of having my 50D/24-70L recalibrated by Canon.

Ouch! I guess you returned your 17-55. Were the folks at The Camera Shop able to help you at all?

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=686049

I must be VERY lucky because all of my lenses perform fine on both my 40D and Xsi.

No problems with my 24-70L that I bought new from B&H last month. It's a GREAT lens!

dipps
538 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 27, 2009 13:46 |  #60

an interesting comment on photozone regarding the 24-70mm.....

http://www.photozone.d​e …st-report--review?start=1 (external link)

Well, I guess everybody has a nemesis and mine is the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 USM L. It took me 4 (f-o-u-r) samples of the lens to get a good one - please note: "good", not a "great" sample. The first three variants showed rather hefty centering defects which spoiled the results quite a bit.

This final sample exhibited a very good to excellent center resolution at wide-open aperture throughout the tested focal length range.

5DIII, 7D, 16-35 f/2.8L II, 24-70 f/2.8L II, 24-105 f/4L, 40 f/2.8, 135 f/2L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L macro, 70-200 f/2.8L II, 430EX II, POWERSHOT S95.... i'm your huckleberry.

"There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin."

sponsored links

7,314 views & 0 likes for this thread
24-70...is it really that hard to get a good copy???
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.