Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 17 Feb 2009 (Tuesday) 22:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Canon D10 waterproof Powershot

kja
Cream of the Crop
5,923 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 23, 2009 21:01 |  #106

It's not hearing, it's seeing and actually using the cameras. I've had hands on with every one of the Olys other than the 1050. They are OK, but not more than that and their downsides are totally frustrating to me. I keep wanting a good one in this series, but it has not happened so far.

Everything looks good online & even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes :)

Kristin

sponsored links
ShroomSJS
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 24, 2009 05:52 |  #107

Well, we finally made it into the water. And our camera still works!! It was a pretty cloudy day, unfortunately, but I still managed to get a few pics.

Check my flickr page and view the Devil's Cove set.

Powershot D10
EOS Rebel XT1i
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/40182014@N08/ (external link)

dan ­ j
Goldmember
1,575 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 27, 2009 08:32 |  #108

True, but it's not just a depth rating. It's more of a pressure rating. Lots of folks reported failures while in the surf. Just a crashing wave can put out enough pressure to force water past the seals and into the camera.

dan

5D Mark 2/24-70L/100-400L

TwoSevensClash
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 01, 2009 18:48 as a reply to  @ post 7362296 |  #109

Raw Images??

After the WSJ's article comparing the FujiFilm 733 and Canon D10 (and being a Canon bigot to the extent of owning Canon stock since 1976), looking at the D10 it sounds good, except! It includes the DIGIC IV processor (yayyyy!!!) but nowhere do I find anything that says it will store RAW images.

I'd (leaving the DSLRs on dry land) take the thing kayaking, into a pool, the ocean, Everglades swamps, but no RAW images limits postprocessing in Photoshop.

Am I failing to find something?

John
Boca Raton (I was serious about the 'Glades)

jr_senator
Goldmember
4,861 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 05, 2009 18:37 |  #110

Why all the excitement? I've had a small format, waterproof camera for years. It has not been used in a long, long time though.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 05, 2009 19:30 |  #111

. . . because you're having a hard time getting 110 format film?

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

jr_senator
Goldmember
4,861 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 05, 2009 23:43 |  #112

Actually, I have a couple rolls in the freezer (along with some 127 and Kodachrome film). Only place that I know that still processes it (along with disc, 126 and Kodachrome) is Dwayne's.

anthon05
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 08, 2009 21:53 |  #113

i just don't like the looks of the D10... i'm thinking of buying one for my outdoor escapades but just don't like the soap like look..
i hope canon makes it look more like a camera.. like having sort of rubber coating or something, looks for water or outdoor use.

just a comment..

verymagicalguy
49 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 11, 2009 05:12 |  #114

Could care less how it looks, as long as it performs as it's advertised!

http://kevinwuphotogra​phy.com (external link)

kandyredcoi
Goldmember
1,611 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 11, 2009 05:19 |  #115

^what he said :D

Unique Custom Watch Straps--> www.CTDesigns.us (external link)

Craig ­ H
45 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 19, 2009 23:43 |  #116

Well I got back from Aruba. I have about 2,500 pictures I need to process. I have a couple of pictures that I have taken with the D10. Biggest issue I had with this camera underwater was waterproof sunscreen.

https://photography-on-the.net …394585&stc=1&d=​1253421587
https://photography-on-the.net …394587&stc=1&d=​1253421587

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

7D Mark II | EOS R | EF 24-105 F/4 L | EF 70-200 F/2.8 L IS II | EF-50mm F/1.4 | 580 EX II | ∑ 18-35 F/1.8 A | ∑ 14-24 F/2.8 A | ∑ 150-600 F/5-6.3 S | ∑ TC-1401 | | My Website (external link)

markstudy
22 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 04, 2010 10:19 as a reply to  @ Craig H's post |  #117

Wow great photos! This camera is easy to use, smart, and works in every lighting condition you can imagine. We just got back from a really good Caribbean cruise.

I just finished my detailed photo book for...Aruba, Bonaire, Eleuthera, Dominica, Grenada, St John, Little Cayman, and Cozumel...150 pages of great D10 photos. (Great camera, no leaks, no problems, during a very adventurous trip)

I did one of those Coffee Table Books that they publish and it looks professionally printed. You can see the photos on-line (click link) http://www.panraven.co​m ….epage?sp=Sview​&sp=154975 (external link)
ONE TIP- if you click on the arrows below the photos, you can see 2 pages at a time, which give a better panoramic view. If you click directly on the photo instead of using the arrows...you can only see one BIG page at a time (click again to go back to two page view)

BUT I NOW HAVE A SERIOUS PROBLEM! (I love the camera, hope this can be fixed)
I now have the "lens error" problem. Camera worked perfect on trip. And I've been home for 2 months (editing LOL). And since being back from the cruise, the camera did a great job at a few local car shows, and the St Pete Indy car race. But now that it has easy duty (no more water or rainforest)...just shooting two family birthday parties for my parents... it has failed on me with the "lens error" message. Camera freezes and I must pop-out battery and try to re-start. If battery has 100% charge it seems to have enough power to open lens....but any less than that and the camera just won't work for the rest of the day. Its very frustrating, since I didn't have my charger with me. I have told all my friends and family to buy this camera...(based on my great photos from my trip back in January)... and I must have sold 10 of these D10 to people I've talked to at the Cruise ship web sites after our trip. (I've got a few more car shows to do this month and then its time to send camera back to Canon I guess?). I goggled D10 lens error problem and many people with cameras at 5 months old are starting to report this problem. http://www.amazon.com …=B001SER460&cdS​ort=oldest (external link)

I'm glad I saved my Canon Powershot SD400 Elph (it still looks like new, I take very good care of my cameras... I really baby my equipment)....but the thought of going back to 5 mega pixel shooting, while I wait for Canon to fix my D10 is not a happy thought.

My wife in Grenada. I was in raft also, so lots of motion from the water, camera stabilization works like a charm!

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i240.photobucke​t.com …tudy/RubyPrince​ss437a.jpg (external link)

The water was so clear in Eleuthera Bahamas... I felt like I was flying!

http://i240.photobucke​t.com …ubyPrincess505s​potout.jpg (external link)

http://i240.photobucke​t.com …yPrincess201046​2small.jpg (external link)

I swam with this guy, all around the reef in Bonaire! So graceful and calm! Just a slow glide as I swam above him.

http://i240.photobucke​t.com …y/RubyPrincess2​010742.jpg (external link)

Rainforest, waterfalls, caves.... Dominica was amazingly beautiful!

http://i240.photobucke​t.com …yPrincess201022​3small.jpg (external link)

http://i240.photobucke​t.com …tudy/5RubyPrinc​ess097.jpg (external link)

This is what they call a hiking path in Dominica! ( My wife said- "I don't see no stinking hiking path") LOL That's her, clawing her way up the hill.

http://i240.photobucke​t.com …tudy/5RubyPrinc​ess250.jpg (external link)

Diving in, for a relaxing swim in the pool after our hike

http://i240.photobucke​t.com …/AnaSwim-bubblessmall.jpg (external link)

BirchtreeLover
167 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 07, 2010 15:25 as a reply to  @ markstudy's post |  #118

I have a D10 that I bought last year for a snorkeling trip in Cozumel my wife and I took in July. The camera for me worked flawlessly and I was in the water every day for 14 days at least 4 hours.
I cleaned it like it said to do when in salt water every night and charged the battery. I have had the lens error pop up as well, but it has since been resolved.
I hope this helps anyone who might choose to get one of these camera's. I will post pics as soon as I can.

Canon D10,Canon 20D/gripped,Canon 28-135mm,
Sigma 14mm,Sigma 70-200mm,Sigma 10mm fish-eye,
Canon 550 EX flash,various odds & ends.

markstudy
22 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 07, 2010 16:16 |  #119

BirchtreeLover wrote in post #9951763 (external link)
I have a D10 that I bought last year for a snorkeling trip in Cozumel my wife and I took in July. The camera for me worked flawlessly and I was in the water every day for 14 days at least 4 hours.
I cleaned it like it said to do when in salt water every night and charged the battery. I have had the lens error pop up as well, but it has since been resolved.
I hope this helps anyone who might choose to get one of these camera's. I will post pics as soon as I can.

I also soaked my camera in freshwater after every use.

I love this camera, and am happy to hear your lens error was fixed...did it just get better or did you send it in?

Looking forward to seeing your photos :D

markstudy
22 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 10, 2010 14:40 as a reply to  @ markstudy's post |  #120

After you get shut down by the "lens error" message... try starting your camera by holding down the power button and FUNC SET button at the same time.

It worked for me... I get a blue screen with a funky looking digital clock. From there I just hit the button that allows you to switch between taking photos and viewing your photos, and the camera works again!

sponsored links

63,080 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Canon D10 waterproof Powershot
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.