Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Aug 2009 (Friday) 12:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

IQ of 1DS2 over 1D2 & 1D2N

petegettins
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 28, 2009 12:43 |  #1

I've been working with the 1D2 & 1D2N for about 3 years now & as the majority of my work has been press these have been more than ideal. However, I am moving more into social & portraiture work now where fps is not so important, but IQ definitely is. What I have got out of these bodies in this area has been good, but I can see room for improvement.

I have the chance to get a mint 2nd hand 1DS2 & my question is is the difference in IQ worth it?

I could go for a 2nd hand 5D for half the price, but I much prefer the build of the 1D as I'm so used to it. Plus as I always have 2 bodies, they get bashed about quite a bit.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Cheers

Pete

sponsored links
sodalis
304 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 28, 2009 13:33 |  #2

It's probably going to come down to how large you are going to print. I have both the 1DII and 1DsII and I would give the Ds an edge in IQ but it isn't earth shattering. Of course the larger you print, the larger the advantage becomes. The Ds does give you a lot of flexibility when cropping. All said, unless I absolutely need 8fps I reach for the Ds every time.

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,579 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Aug 28, 2009 13:40 |  #3

I have a 5D and a recently acquired 1Ds2. Hard to tell, still, which I like better. But, the 1Ds2 can go out in inclement weather, which in Florida means it'll hold up much better. :) Love the 5D though, so, it's a hard sell to sell it...I've owned it for so long.

Sorry, I'm sure I haven't helped your situation, but, check the 1Ds2 thread, for pictures. I know they are only web-sized, but, still gives you an idea.

MCSquared Photography (external link) on WWW
MCSquared Photography (external link) on Flickr
MCSquared Photography (external link) on IG
My name: Manish.

aroundlsu
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 28, 2009 13:49 |  #4

You can check my flickr for a lot of original size files of portraits with the 1ds2. Just click a picture then all sizes - original.

www.flickr.com/photos/​teddysmith (external link)

I can email you a raw of a few if you want to see more to help you make up your mind.

Teddy Smith, SOC
IATSE Local 600 Cinematographer

petegettins
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 28, 2009 14:40 |  #5

Thanks for the replies everyone,

aroundlsu wrote in post #8539578 (external link)
You can check my flickr for a lot of original size files of portraits with the 1ds2. Just click a picture then all sizes - original.

www.flickr.com/photos/​teddysmith (external link)

I can email you a raw of a few if you want to see more to help you make up your mind.

That'd be great thanks. I had a look at your site & some really good portraits on there.

I've been looking at the 1DS2 thread & again some great shots on there. If the difference in IQ isn't amazing between the 2 types of bodies, I'm beginning to get slightly worried as my shots on both bodies don't tend to be as sharp as those of the 1DS2 shots I'm seeing.

I'm using decent lenses, 28-70, 70-200 (2.8 IS version), 17-40 & 300 (again 2.8 IS) so I can't say that it's down to the lens quality. Could well be me of course.

If anyone has a minute, have a look at my site, more or less everything on there is taken with these 2 bodies, & see if you agree.

www.petergettinsphotog​raphy.co.uk (external link)

aroundlsu
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 28, 2009 14:57 as a reply to  @ petegettins's post |  #6

I looked at your site. Without full resolution samples it is difficult to make a diagnoses. It would be helpful to post a link to one or two full resolution shots that you feel are not as sharp as you would hope for.

Teddy Smith, SOC

petegettins
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 28, 2009 15:57 |  #7

aroundlsu wrote in post #8539996 (external link)
I looked at your site. Without full resolution samples it is difficult to make a diagnoses. It would be helpful to post a link to one or two full resolution shots that you feel are not as sharp as you would hope for.

Thanks for looking, here's one from a job the other day.

http://www.flickr.com …s/9863165@N07/3​865186835/ (external link)

Pete

aroundlsu
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 28, 2009 16:27 as a reply to  @ petegettins's post |  #8

The largest resolution available on that photo is 1024x688. I can't judge the sharpness at that resolution.

Teddy Smith, SOC

petegettins
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 28, 2009 16:51 |  #9

aroundlsu wrote in post #8540494 (external link)
The largest resolution available on that photo is 1024x688. I can't judge the sharpness at that resolution.

I don't have a pro account at flickr so that's as big as it gets. Thanks for looking anyway.

sodalis
304 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 28, 2009 19:15 |  #10

Here is the best I can come up with as far as similar shots from each camera under real world conditions. Both from my 400mm f/5.6 L. The 1DsII was slightly closer to the nest for it's shot. The Ds shot is more recent and I haven't really spent any time processing it other than some gross color adjustment. The 1DII shot has had a bit more intensive PP to get the colors right. Neither image has been sharpened in post.

1DII - full image resized for web (ISO 200, f/11, 1/250)

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

1DsII - full image resized for web (ISO 400, f/11, 1/60)

1DII - 100% crop

1DsII - 100% crop

The parents head was just ever so slightly getting back out of my DoF on the 1DII shot so don't hold the bit of softness there against the camera.

Both cameras are capable of some really great images. The 1DsII has incredible cropping power. If you frame a shot the same on each you will of course get more detail from the 1DsII, but you will have to print large to see it.

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,579 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Aug 28, 2009 22:17 |  #11

^^Nice work. Very nice. ;)

MCSquared Photography (external link) on WWW
MCSquared Photography (external link) on Flickr
MCSquared Photography (external link) on IG
My name: Manish.

sponsored links

1,505 views & 0 likes for this thread
IQ of 1DS2 over 1D2 & 1D2N
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.