Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 22 Aug 2009 (Saturday) 20:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

photo editing services...

brennasg
"Late to the party!"
1,246 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 22, 2009 20:23 |  #1

So my sister threw out a suggestion of maybe trying to get some extra cash by offering my photo editing skills on craigslist or something like that. Do people do that? I mean I am by no means a 'photoshop artist' but I do have better skills than the norm. I just wondered how something like that would work. Thanks:)

Franklin Tn Baby Photographer (external link) | Blog! (external link) |Follow Sparkling Seal on Twitter (external link)|Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,407 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 22, 2009 20:55 |  #2

Geez - I could use your services myself! I can edit my images for appearance just fine, but my current software does not allow me to upsize images in the way that is required for submission to Alamy (the stock agency). I'd be curious to see if you could modify my files in such a way as to get the images accepted by Alamy.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

chrisa
Goldmember
1,039 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Joined May 2005

Aug 22, 2009 21:17 |  #3

I'd be interested to see how many people would use such a service. I have 15 years of high end color correction and image manipulation experience using photoshop. It's what I do at my regular job at a commercial printing company.

tim
Light Bringer
50,972 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 22, 2009 21:38 |  #4

I use an editing service (external link) based in Peru. They're good, fast, and reasonably priced at between $2.50 and $10 per image edited. Paying them $10 can save me an hour or more of editing, and they do a better job.

The problem with using one guy off Craigslist is you don't know if they're any good, how long they'll take, etc. It's worth a shot though.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

brennasg
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Late to the party!"
1,246 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 22, 2009 21:42 |  #5

Tom Reichner wrote in post #8506393 (external link)
Geez - I could use your services myself! I can edit my images for appearance just fine, but my current software does not allow me to upsize images in the way that is required for submission to Alamy (the stock agency). I'd be curious to see if you could modify my files in such a way as to get the images accepted by Alamy.

EEK! I dont about all that..sounds complicated;) I think there is math involved! haha

chrisa wrote in post #8506473 (external link)
I'd be interested to see how many people would use such a service. I have 15 years of high end color correction and image manipulation experience using photoshop. It's what I do at my regular job at a commercial printing company.

Sounds like it would be right up your alley!

tim wrote in post #8506586 (external link)
I use an editing service (external link) based in Peru. They're good, fast, and reasonably priced at between $2.50 and $10 per image edited. Paying them $10 can save me an hour or more of editing, and they do a better job.

The problem with using one guy off Craigslist is you don't know if they're any good, how long they'll take, etc. It's worth a shot though.

Well I guess I kinda had it in my head as a service for non-professionals. Just the general pulblic who had some cousin shoot their wedding... or really like a picture of themselves but wanted to look prettier..etc.

Franklin Tn Baby Photographer (external link) | Blog! (external link) |Follow Sparkling Seal on Twitter (external link)|Facebook (external link)

smmokan
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 26, 2009 15:19 |  #6

Isn't part of the editing being able to put your own personal touch on the pictures you've taken?

www.ChasingEpicMTB.com (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,972 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 26, 2009 16:59 |  #7

smmokan wrote in post #8527580 (external link)
Isn't part of the editing being able to put your own personal touch on the pictures you've taken?

Only if you're the type that relies on actions or particular post processing. I outsource photoshop work as someone else can do the same thing quicker, easier, and cheaper than I can.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

chrisa
Goldmember
1,039 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Joined May 2005

Aug 26, 2009 20:18 |  #8

Sounds like it would be right up your alley!

All I need now is for everyone to send me their work.

tim
Light Bringer
50,972 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 26, 2009 20:50 |  #9

My pro lab does my color correction work, and I outsource retouching to a firm. Getting regular work from individual photographers could be tough.

Fenster
500 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 27, 2009 00:50 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #10

I know Photoshop. #neo

I'm also for hire, heh.

Misadventures at 720nm (external link)

TroyRaymond
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 28, 2009 17:39 as a reply to  @ Fenster's post |  #11

I was offering a service like this, photographers are no big deal, but it was the non photographers that think computers are magic. I've done a wide variety of photos, Right up until someone emailed me 96 photos with a $150 budget and they needed them the next day. We're not talking remove a piece of hair, fix a blemish, clean up the yard, etc. This was a real estate agent that found my services and had shot a very expensive home interior needing panos, color correction, corrected exposures, shot with a point and shoot, on camera flash and bracketed pano photos all hand held. Previously it was only 3 at a time. I gave him what $150 paid for and recommended the proper equipment to get the job done without needing editing. I even provided links to the proper equipment, he replied with a link on how to do the same thing... DIY for $10.

Here are a couple samples of work you may encounter.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

and another, before and after... having to match the color in a painting of a older sister when she was the same age.
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE NOT FOUND

These were actually some of the easy photos.

Troy

smmokan
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 28, 2009 23:55 |  #12

Kind of off-topic, but you did a heck of a job making those maple floors like Brazilian cherry... there's going to be a lot of upset potential buyers (assuming its for a RE shoot).

www.ChasingEpicMTB.com (external link)

brennasg
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Late to the party!"
1,246 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 29, 2009 00:40 |  #13

TroyRaymond wrote in post #8540832 (external link)
I was offering a service like this, photographers are no big deal, but it was the non photographers that think computers are magic. I've done a wide variety of photos, Right up until someone emailed me 96 photos with a $150 budget and they needed them the next day. We're not talking remove a piece of hair, fix a blemish, clean up the yard, etc. This was a real estate agent that found my services and had shot a very expensive home interior needing panos, color correction, corrected exposures, shot with a point and shoot, on camera flash and bracketed pano photos all hand held. Previously it was only 3 at a time. I gave him what $150 paid for and recommended the proper equipment to get the job done without needing editing. I even provided links to the proper equipment, he replied with a link on how to do the same thing... DIY for $10.

These were actually some of the easy photos.

Troy

Thanks for the response Troy:) How did you set up this service?? Craigslist or something like that?

Oh and interesting question about the floors, smmokan:)

TroyRaymond
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 29, 2009 08:51 |  #14

smmokan wrote in post #8542513 (external link)
Kind of off-topic, but you did a heck of a job making those maple floors like Brazilian cherry... there's going to be a lot of upset potential buyers (assuming its for a RE shoot).

There is a company in NY that builds and sells homes unfinished, the new buyer can specify how they want the remaining things finished. A potential customer wanted to see the home with that color floor.

No bites from Craigslist, sorry, I did try it. I'm part of a elevated photography forum, I provided the service after many asked for it from seeing my photos. It worked out well over last winter, but not enough work to pay the bills. Most of the income came from one small forum. Others found the ad on my website (which has been removed). Turn around was usually only an hour or two...

I used my smugmug account so the clients could approve the work with a small watermarked image (right click disabled), I'd send them an invoice via paypal, once paid I'd enable the high res file, turn off the watermark and right click disable.

The photo above that needed to be matched to a painting was printed by the customer in 8x10 at Walmart approx. 6 times before the colors were a close match to the painting. I've done a bunch of testing at Walmart, where the average person would have things printed, and know how to set up the photo for the best printing. I give them instructions such as "Use only 1 hour photo and make sure the 'auto enhance' is NOT selected". The problem with the painting match was I only had a photo of the painting, it would have been easier if I had the painting. I had to find out if it was on a wall facing the sun and if UV rays were in direct contact. Pictocolor CorrectPhoto to correct the white balance on a bad snapshot. (fast color correct at a low price.) Then add the fading over a number of years to get an idea of the colors I had to match.

I used to paint portraits by hand, and for 27 years was a photo realistic airbrush artist. Having an artistic background could be an advantage. Photos are much easier. :D

I do use 4-5 different programs on every photo, since '95 I've tried many programs and use the ones that best do the job needed, photoshop is used to blend all of them together into one photo using layer masks. Each program has a specific job that they do well. It was only in the last couple of years that technology has improved enough to do this quickly.

Troy

brennasg
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Late to the party!"
1,246 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 29, 2009 10:01 |  #15

wow Troy, thanks so much for all of the information!That is really great. This is definitely something I am thinking about just as some extra income! We will see though. I can see how I could get easily frustrated with some things haha! Thanks for taking the time to post that. I really appreciate it!

sponsored links

2,354 views & 0 likes for this thread
photo editing services...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.