Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 28 Aug 2009 (Friday) 08:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D .... (pre release rumor threads )

BugEyes
577 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 29, 2009 07:44 as a reply to  @ post 8541454 |  #226

I bet the next FF camera from Canon will be called 1Ds mkIV.

Kameras, lenses and other stuff
http://www.sorkin.se (external link)

sponsored links
McChook
57 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 29, 2009 07:45 |  #227

Box pic looks fake to me
1. No pop up flash
2. No mic holes
3. No M.Fn button

Though, EF lens....

virsago_mk2
600 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 29, 2009 07:47 |  #228

TeamSpeed wrote in post #8543290 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Photoshop... :mad:

Look at the ISO 6400, the number 4 shape is distorted so badly.
And on the 7D typeface, the number 7 is miraculously MUCH SHARPER than other letters.
And why the hell that lens is EF? That's supposed to be EF-S.

Gear: Here | Portfolio: Flickr (external link)

regandarcy
265 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 29, 2009 07:54 |  #229

davidfig wrote in post #8542553 (external link)
I don't think it will be full frame for several reasons.
1. 5DMII
2. D700 does not have video
3. D300s just announced with video (need to compete, 60D or 7D)

Are those enough reasons?

Why would the fact that the D700 doesn't have video be a good reason? In fact, It'd be a GREAT reason as Canon would then ONE UP Nikon and make the D700 look "lesser than" the new Canon 7D. And isn't that the WHOLE point of competition? :-)

Lightstream
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 29, 2009 07:54 |  #230

virsago_mk2 wrote in post #8543435 (external link)

And on the 7D typeface, the number 7 is miraculously MUCH SHARPER than other letters.

Nice catch. Because it's originally an EF 24-105. Check out the internal baffling - spot on for a match with the 24-105.

McChook
57 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 29, 2009 07:56 |  #231

virsago_mk2 wrote in post #8543435 (external link)

Number of errors.....
Looks lke a 5D/II box with bad editing

That said, it has 72mm on the lens, so he bothered to edit that, just not EF-S....

regandarcy
265 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 29, 2009 08:08 as a reply to  @ regandarcy's post |  #232

Some of your responses made me think of another option.

If the 7D is a more professional crop camera than perhaps the rumored 60D coming in February will be the "Afffordable FF Camera".

Maybe Canon plans to make it the new affordable full frame.

If it's not as "fast" or have as many auto focus points as the rumored 7D has....than it wouldn't be such a threat to the more professional 5D markii.

I still think that a SUB full frame from Canon is a MUST. Sony just announced one, and you can bet that Nikon is working on one.

Canon has to be working on one too. And it's my belief that if the 7D is a professional crop camera, than the next 60D will DEFINITELY be an affordable FF.

Think about it. Regular consumers transitioning to a DSLR will have the xsi and the T1i to choose from. The more professional "birders, sports, wildlife" shooters will have the new 7D to choose.

So to make the upcoming 60D another crop priced between the T1i and the 7D seems silly.

It'd be the PERFECT price point for a "Budget" consumer FULL FRAME. The 5D mark2 will be too expensive for most consumers....but those that crave a FF will be able to afford the 60D if it is FF.

Of course we don't even know if the 7D is crop yet or not....but soon as we find out in a few days....maybe the above scenario will be correct if it turns out to be a crop.

I dunno. Just speculating. :-)

sth_
811 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 29, 2009 08:26 |  #233

@TeamSpeed: Nice try :lol:

HaroldC3 wrote in post #8541344 (external link)
Could it be wishful thinking to have a full-frame mode and crop mode and have EF-S lenses work in the crop mode?

Could it physically work?

If that's what Canon has done, then that would be sweet!

Looks like the rumored price is $1699 body only. If that's true, wow, so long 5D!

So you're suggesting that, not even a year after the 5d2, Canon will release a camera with 1series AF, 1series metering, 1series speed, 1series viewfinder and a full-frame sensor for $1000 less than the 5d2...

...IMHO they should call it the 5d Mark III then. :p

Rowdy3090 wrote in post #8542691 (external link)
I still think the 7D will be 1.3 crop. 18MP on a 1.6 crop just doesn't seem logical to me. That is, provided this picture is real.

Provided this picture is real, it won't be 1.3 crop since there's an EF-S lens on that camera. Why would they advertise a 1.3x or even FF camera with an EF-S kit-zoom?

Flickr (external link) :: Gear

FWN
22 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 29, 2009 08:28 as a reply to  @ post 8541454 |  #234

The 60D won't be FF. The xxD line is more than just a price point, it's a marketing thing, i.e. xxD has to conform to certain standards such as metal body, aps-c, ef-s mount, bla bla. The hallowed affordable FF which will inevitably come around will have a new naming scheme. Who knows, maybe the 5D3 will be it (as the 5D was intended to be the cheaper FF) and a 3D will be launched to be a full featured compact body FF ala D700.

Whether the 7D poster is a hoax or not (hoping it is one), the 7D itself is APS-C. It's a D300s competitor. Although at 18mp on a crop I think they missed the point. Completely.

flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,671 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 29, 2009 08:42 |  #235

I just wanted to prove a point. Everyone was wrong about that pic, it is a 50D w/28-135 box, and about 30 min. of bad photoshopping (due to my lack of skill). Now give a room full of folks about 1 week and years of photoshop experience, a poster printer, and you can very easily make up a poster to throw folks off.

Funny how folks are experts at picking apart internet chatter and pics, and everyone was wrong on all accounts other than it was not real. All items you brought up are very easily fixed in photoshop too! :)

Don't trust anything you see or read until the actual announcements, you might find you were hornswaggled.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sodalis
304 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 29, 2009 08:52 |  #236

regandarcy wrote in post #8543487 (external link)
If the 7D is a more professional crop camera than perhaps the rumored 60D coming in February will be the "Afffordable FF Camera".

I find it far more likely that we've seen the end of the xxD line. I saw speculation (and it makes a lot of sense) that Canon would stop using the xxD designation due to confusion with Nikon Dxx cameras.

Despite all the 5D/5DII owners who like to insist this is a pro line, Canon has always clearly considered the 5D series to be pro-sumer, the FF equivalent of the 1.6 xxD's. The problem is the xxD's have been at the low end of the pro-sumer bracket lately, at least since Nikon raised the bar with the D300. The gap between xxD and the Rebel line has also been narrowing substantially.

If the 7D rumors pan out, it gives Canon a great way to start with a clean slate in the pro-sumer crop market. It is also a good method of "branding", instead of jumping to a new model number every 12-18 months they can just have 7D Mark II, 7D Mark III, etc. This way people know they can just look for the current 7D model to have Canons top 1.6 crop camera.

This way every camera in their lineup is now branded, 1D and 1Ds at the top of the pile, 5D and 7D in the prosumer bracket, and two tiers of Digital Rebels for the entry level. I expect the top tier Rebels will consume the spot that was held by the xxD's, competing with the Nikon Dxx line while the lower tier Rebels like the XS will stay at the rock bottom entry level and compete with the Nikon Dxxxx series.

This also leaves Nikon with a more confusing numbering scheme by comparison: Dx>Dxxx>Dxx>Dxxxx... say what?

McChook
57 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 29, 2009 08:59 as a reply to  @ post 8541454 |  #237

^^^^ I am starting to agree on this idea.

When it all began, there were 4 tiers
1Ds...
5Ds...
XXDs
XXXDs as the entry range

Now they have
XXXXDs.... as the entry range

Realistically, the XXXXD series is now the base and is a re-packed older gen XXXD body, the XXXD range has new stuff... The next step now from a 500D is to a 50D - and I wouldn't bother.

Marketing wise, dropping the XXD range now might not be so bad... 7D gives it a new name for the top of the crops, inline to "prosumer" single digits....

I guess...

SwitchBlade
Goldmember
2,748 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 29, 2009 08:59 as a reply to  @ post 8541454 |  #238

So by that logic will the xxxD and xxxxD cameras be rebranded as 8D and 9D ranges to prevent confusion with Nikon as well? Can't see why they'd change the naming structure as they've used the same one since the start of the EOS range.

5D | 40D | Σ24 f1.8 | 50 f1.8 II | 85 f1.8 | 70-200 F4L | 540EZ x2 | Nissin Di622

sth_
811 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 29, 2009 09:06 |  #239

TeamSpeed wrote in post #8543593 (external link)
I just wanted to prove a point.

Yes, and you're right about that. Nobody knows if the poster is real. Everything can easily be faked these days.

However, what makes these rumors a bit more credible is the fact that the guy at CR had at least one reliable (so far) source pointing at these specs (the source that also told him about the integrated wireless flash master). But everything we really know for sure so far is that something is coming next tuesday since Canon called a press conference at that day.

I don't know about the other people in this thread but I don't take these speculation threads too serious. I'm curious about what's coming next (since I'm more or less in the market for a new camera body) but for me it's mainly a way of wasting time until the official announcement is released.

Flickr (external link) :: Gear

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,671 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 29, 2009 09:11 |  #240

One thing for sure, if this release is like all the others over the past year, the announcement will be made, we will have 5-10 individual posts started, the mods will have to merge thread after thread, and once the full specs are known, the complaints will start about how this was not revolutionary, but evolutionary, and all kinds of critical things are missing. Then all the arm-chair quarterbacks will have their way with ISO comparisons, camera features, how Nikon is ahead or behind the game, etc. Same ol' cycle, September will be a very interesting month!

I will be accumulating all rumor photos in my smugmug account, it will be great to reference later in the year!

http://teamspeed.smugm​ug.com/Electronics/Can​on-Camera-News (external link)

Here is a sample ISO6400 I snagged before it was yanked.
http://www.invisicord.​com/images/review/IMG_​1325.JPG (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links

51,418 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D .... (pre release rumor threads )
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.