Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Aug 2009 (Saturday) 12:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

sold 400D, bought 40D, it's in the mail, tell me what to expect

boclcown
299 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 29, 2009 12:01 |  #1

So after finding someone to buy my XTi for $350, I figured it made sense to upgrade to a 40D for the 350 extra. I'll be in college soon and won't be able to spend the kind of money that I would need to upgrade in the future, and the 40D seemed like a pretty future-proof camera for the next 4 years, as long as it doesn't brake down.

That said, I've heard mixed opinions about whether or not the 400D has the same image quality as the 40D. Can anyone tell me what to expect when taking pictures with the 40D? I only shoot in RAW and M or Av mode, so DIGIC III doesn't really mean much to me.

Also, is there anything else I should know or be excited about? I'll be getting the 40D hopefully late next week and taking it that weekend on a backpacking trip that starts and finishes in NYC, so I should be able to make good use of my new (refurbished from Adorama) camera.

Flickr (external link)
http://www.alexkotranp​hotography.com (external link)
5D Mark II | 24-70 f2.8L | Sigmalux 50 f1.4 | 70-200 f2.8L | 430EX II

sponsored links
lawlz_xD
304 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 29, 2009 12:12 |  #2

You can expect the following, I went from a 400D to a 30D, which is a very similar body to the 40D.

1.Much better build, magnesium-alloy vs. plastic, MUCH more rugged and comfortable in the hands.
2.Better/Quicker controls,if you use your DSLR in manual, or any of the creative zones, you can change the aperture,shutter,etc. very quickly, feels very smooth.
3.I can't comment about IQ but I found that my 30D produced sharper images than my 450D, but than again, I never shot with L glass on my 400D.
4.Faster FPS, much faster FPS.

Enjoy the 40D man! You will not be disappointed!

windpig
Chopped liver
14,868 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 29, 2009 12:16 |  #3

onboard wireless flash control with exII speedlights

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Optiq
412 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 29, 2009 13:18 |  #4

windpig wrote in post #8544562 (external link)
onboard wireless flash control with exII speedlights

To clarify what windpig just said . . .

The camera itself does NOT control wireless Speedlights remotely. You either need an ST-E2 or a flash that controls other Speedlights as a master (like the EX580II) or any aftermarket system like Pocketwizard, etc.

My small but growing -=Flickr page=- (external link)

JReady
229 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 29, 2009 14:14 |  #5

I'm thinking about making the same upgrade and am interested to hear what you think.

Gear :: Flickr (external link) :: Blog (external link)

Disciple ­ Inc.
66 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 29, 2009 14:17 |  #6

i woudl say expect a rough time selling your 40D when you are ready to upgrade lol

I'm not a real photographer, but I play one on the internet!

lawlz_xD
304 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 29, 2009 14:19 |  #7

You will surely be happy with the 40D coming from anything in the Rebel series. Anything after the Rebel series doesn't have the "ease" of controls that a lot of starting shooters like but the control wheel on the xxD and beyond series allows for quick setting changes. The ruggedness of my 30D makes me feel at ease sometimes knowing that it's a solidly built body.

Marloon
Goldmember
4,323 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 29, 2009 14:27 |  #8

I went From an xti, 40d and am now up to a 5dii as of yesterday.

Expect better build, better af focusing, better ergonomics, a larger viewfinder, and a nice live view system... The only reason why I moved up to a 5dii is because of the ff, ISo control and high res for major cropping. Well that and it was given to me by my girlfriend. Lol.

I'm MARLON

Former Canon Platinum CPS member

5DII • 24L • 35L • 50L • 85L • 135L • 200LIS

Wordpress Blog (external link)Youtube Channel (external link)Twitter (external link)Gear List (external link)

gcogger
Goldmember
2,554 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Aug 29, 2009 15:01 |  #9

I have both cameras (400D and 40D) and there's really no difference in image quality if you shoot RAW. The differences are in things like:
- the much better viewfinder of the 40D
- the size/weight/feel (I like the size/weight of the 400D, but most people prefer the feel of the 40D)
- the control system (again, most prefer the 40D)
- the much faster continuous shooting rate of the 40D
- spot metering on the 40D
- slightly better low light focussing with the 40D

Graeme
My galleries (external link)

dinanm3atl
Goldmember
3,122 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 29, 2009 17:45 |  #10

I upgraded from 400D to 40D. It is a better camera in terms of speed of use, AF and the size/weight/build quality.

IQ is very very similar from what I have seen.

Halston - MotorSports Photographer
1Dx - 1Dx - A7r - 400L f/2.8 - 70-200L f/2.8 - 24-105L f/4 - 17-40L f/4 - 50 f/1.4 - 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye - 1.4x TC - 2x TC
Photography Site (external link)

Replaces
Goldmember
1,079 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 29, 2009 18:12 |  #11

you can expect: Canon Acquisition Syndrome as soon as you put it in your hands xD

"If you don't walk today, you have to run tomorrow."
Nikon, then Canon, then Nikon again. But I still love POTN over NikonCafe. :p

Nikon D90, MB-D80, Nikon D600, MB-D14, Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G, Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G VR.

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 29, 2009 21:53 as a reply to  @ Replaces's post |  #12

I have a 400d and while at a local karate expo, the teacher handed me her 30d. What was the biggest thing I noticed? The ratio of keepers vs. stinkers is much better with the 30d. I would assume the same would be true of the 40d.

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,286 posts
Gallery: 203 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 29, 2009 22:09 |  #13

It will seem larger and heavier although it really isn't by much. You will have a little learning curve getting used to the controls since you are used to different controls, but within a week you will love the new ergonomics a lot and they will start to seem more "intuitive."

Marci
Constructive criticism always appreciated.
Gear
Pre-2018 Feedback :)

dino8031
845 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 29, 2009 22:38 as a reply to  @ ozziepuppy's post |  #14

Much nicer viewfinder, larger and brighter.

Much better build quality and weight.

Great handling and controls. Read: the wheel.

Much larger buffer. Get yourself a decent CF card, set it to high speed shooting and blast away. The XTI bogs down way too quickly, the 40D dies not. This is the thing that really drove me crazy about Rebels.

Live view. I don't use it a lot, but it's great in certain situations.

You won't see a lot of difference in image quality, but the two cameras are like night and day. Enjoy.

boclcown
THREAD ­ STARTER
299 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 31, 2009 10:15 |  #15

WIll the 40D give me any advantage in long exposure shots, specifically with noise? That's been my biggest caveat with the XTi, but I suspect that it may be a fault of digital cameras as a whole.

Flickr (external link)
http://www.alexkotranp​hotography.com (external link)
5D Mark II | 24-70 f2.8L | Sigmalux 50 f1.4 | 70-200 f2.8L | 430EX II

sponsored links

2,222 views & 0 likes for this thread
sold 400D, bought 40D, it's in the mail, tell me what to expect
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.