Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 28 Aug 2009 (Friday) 17:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you get your gear to the wedding?

wannabegood
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 28, 2009 17:44 |  #1

As I accumulate more gear, more Pelican cases, more lights, tripods, monopods, lightstands and so on I'm finding it increasingly difficult to carry everything in. I'm looking at Wesco folding hand trucks for their small size and light weight.

What do you use?

Dale
1Ds MkII, 5D MkII w/Canon gLass & G1X w/ 250D

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 28, 2009 17:46 |  #2

I don't carry THAT much stuff. I don't need it. Everything I own and use fits in a large backpack - including my light stands.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

wannabegood
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 28, 2009 17:50 |  #3

My wife assists with the 5D so I've got gear for both of us. I'm using 3 Pelican cases, his hers and lighting. I also use a DIY ringlite for macros of the rings and invitations, etc. The wedding we did Saturday the brides uncle recommended getting a cart or something when he saw I had to carry everything about 200 yds to the reception. What a bug he planted! lol

Dale

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 28, 2009 17:56 |  #4

That's nuts. Have you considered a luggage cart?

http://www.amazon.com …2QRVM&colid=3AJ​5L53WCUWAZ (external link)

I'm considering getting one for when I do destination stuff.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 28, 2009 19:50 |  #5

I don't take everything. I have a NOVA bag, largest one, a Domke F-802 and sometimes I take the Think Tank airport international, but that's only if I have to bring the PWII's and 3 flashes.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Aug 29, 2009 16:22 as a reply to  @ SuzyView's post |  #6

I have one of THESE (external link)I used to use to haul all my stuff around... Worked pretty well and the handle folds down so it can be stored and transported in the car easily.

John

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 29, 2009 16:31 |  #7

Magliner (external link)

Accept no substitute...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

wannabegood
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 29, 2009 18:05 |  #8

Nice suggestions all. I'm torn between the folding hand trucks and the platform style. I like the platform in concept, but keep remembering the set of 9 steps at the last reception 120 yds from my car. I know there's a wheelchair ramp almost everywhere to answer that. But grass and gravel would really trip up a cart. Anyone had experience with the Wesco Mega mover with 8" pneumatic tires? Seems steep at $250 but it's got a large toe plate and a 550 lb rating.

Reminds me of when I had my Peli case on the stroller exchanging lenses when my wife came back from changing my sons diaper...my 12 yr old grabbed up the case to help out and clear the stroller but it wasn't closed. My lenses (filters, cards, virtually everything in the case of padded dividers, on black asphalt in the dark) all scattered over the asphalt in front of a client. Inwardly I cringed! No damage though, so no insurance claim. Just don't want a repeat of something like that, ya know? lol

Thanks for the feedback everybody.

Dale

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 29, 2009 22:44 |  #9

Jon mentioned a very inexpensive Samsonite fold out thing. I was curious, went to the mall and got one. It works great. Then I bought 3 others, but still use the original more. I do take lights and stands and umbrellas sometimes and those collapsible cart things are great.

My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

GwagDesigns
299 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 30, 2009 03:36 |  #10

If your gonna get a hand truck style, why not consider one of these, the fact it can be used as a ladder as well might come in handy at weddings. I saw Scott Kelby demonstrating one of these, not sure exactly what brand he was using, but here's what I was able to find on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com …cts&qid=1251621​250&sr=8-2 (external link)

[7D] - [GF1 w/14mm f2.5] - 70-200f4L | 50mm f1.2L | Sigma 10-20 | Sigma 105 f2.8 | Sigma 18-50 f2.8[U]
davehintzphoto.com (external link) | Twitter (external link) | "Like" Me (external link) on FaceBook

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 30, 2009 06:50 |  #11

That actually looks useful! I may have to order one of those. I have a minivan and sometimes, it would be nice to have a ladder. Thanks.

wannabegood
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 30, 2009 11:12 |  #12

Looks like a great idea GwagDesigns, I saw one of those and checking into it I found a reviewer that said it wouldn't stand up by itself to load your gear on it so they ended up not using it. It would definately be a plus to have the ladder right there for the larger group shots at a big wedding! (I did one last year with 30 people in the wedding party, 12 BM, 12 GM, double ring bearers and flower girls!The girl in the bridal shot at left actually!) The ladder was essential!

Suzy, do you use a collapsible cart? If so, what kind? I'm more concerned with them about rolling on gravel or grass or the inevitable steps with no ramp.

Thanks again everyone for all the helpful suggestions, maybe I'll find a cheap golf cart I can tow behind my pickup! LMAO

Dale

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 30, 2009 17:47 |  #13

http://www.amazon.com …ref=tag_gam_ptc​n_edpp_url (external link)

http://www.amazon.com …ref=tag_gam_ptc​n_edpp_url (external link)

I have these two. They are very useful, but don't carry a lot of weight. I think the stepladder thing is amazing. I may have to get one.

spicesupreme
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 30, 2009 18:12 |  #14

here's a video that shows a few different carts and there features

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=3Pmi1woCJ6M (external link)

LBaldwin
Goldmember
4,490 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 30, 2009 18:21 |  #15

2002 Toyota Tundra!! Other than that, I use a large Tamrac rolling case, backpack for the camera and rolling cases for the strobes.

Les Baldwin
http://www.fotosfx.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,489 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you get your gear to the wedding?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.