Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 30 Aug 2009 (Sunday) 10:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7d means the end of the xxD series?

Ziffle
Goldmember
1,896 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 31, 2009 17:52 |  #46

Body only: roughly ....
US prices....
5Dmkii:$2600-2700 (FF)
7D priced between $1800-2000 (Crop 1.6x)
60D priced $1200-1600. (Crop 1.6x)

this seems pretty reasonable.

sponsored links
randomlinh
992 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 31, 2009 19:11 |  #47

apersson850 wrote in post #8550669 (external link)
Why? If you aren't going to buy it, it will hardly bother you. If you do like to buy it, it's nice that it exists.

Well, mainly to reduce confusion to the end user... and to push the rebel xxxD line into that space as the bottom rung (~$500 body pricing).

Then canon can focus on reducing costs w/ one less line of cameras to maintain =) Or I guess put the xxxxD into the $300 body range, but I wonder if we'll get to this point anytime in the next 5yrs.

This goes for their powershot line too, It feels like they have way too many choices to confuse consumers.

krepta
I swear I'm Ken Rockwell!
8,482 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 31, 2009 19:22 |  #48

randomlinh wrote in post #8557494 (external link)
Well, mainly to reduce confusion to the end user... and to push the rebel xxxD line into that space as the bottom rung (~$500 body pricing).

Then canon can focus on reducing costs w/ one less line of cameras to maintain =) [...]

I don't think confusion among end users is such a big deal. Customers love having more choices from which to pick (in spite of any possible confusion this may entail), and smart customers do their research before purchasing to determine what product best meets their needs at a good value. This is especially true of those moving up from P&S to SLR for the first time. They come to places like this forum to ask questions and get informed about their choices.

As far as costs go, I'm pretty sure Canon gets a larger return on sales of the Rebel lines (both xxxD and xxxxD) than their higher end, semi-pro or professional camera lines. I'm pretty sure their marketing strategy is set to optimize returns and stay level with he competition. The Rebels aren't going anywhere.

Alex | flickr (external link) | Gear & Feedback | Food! (external link)

randomlinh
992 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 31, 2009 20:48 |  #49

krepta wrote in post #8557547 (external link)
I don't think confusion among end users is such a big deal. Customers love having more choices from which to pick (in spite of any possible confusion this may entail), and smart customers do their research before purchasing to determine what product best meets their needs at a good value. This is especially true of those moving up from P&S to SLR for the first time. They come to places like this forum to ask questions and get informed about their choices.

As far as costs go, I'm pretty sure Canon gets a larger return on sales of the Rebel lines (both xxxD and xxxxD) than their higher end, semi-pro or professional camera lines. I'm pretty sure their marketing strategy is set to optimize returns and stay level with he competition. The Rebels aren't going anywhere.

true, consumers love choice, but it's so frustrating to see them at best buy (or any shop) when they have too many =)

And by no means do I want the rebel line to go away, just the XS branch ;) Actually, I think it has more to do w/ how closely priced it is to the XSi at the time. I'd like to see less things be so close together in pricing.

krepta
I swear I'm Ken Rockwell!
8,482 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 31, 2009 21:08 |  #50

randomlinh wrote in post #8558085 (external link)
And by no means do I want the rebel line to go away, just the XS branch ;) Actually, I think it has more to do w/ how closely priced it is to the XSi at the time. I'd like to see less things be so close together in pricing.

To be honest I was surprised when Canon first launched the XS. I thought the same way, why another Rebel line? But I see now that it is a good strategy. For those of us spending thousands on pro-sumer bodies and good glass, a few hundred dollars difference might not seem too significant, but for the amateur just beginning to get involved a little more into photography as a serious hobby, having the choice of a (brand new) body at $500-$600 versus $800-$900 can make a huge difference. At $500-$600, it's a much easier step-up from their $250-$300 P&S camera than going straight to $800-$900.

Reducing the pricing gap between camera lines at the bottom levels helps ease in new customers who will stick with the brand. Canon is counting on this strategy to increase sales volume and create brand loyalty. If they are happy with their XS (etc.), they might next move up to a new T1i, or a used 40D, etc. As long as each step is smaller, there is increased incentive to move up the ladder, and stay on this ladder! Then, these people become fanatics like us at the forum whining about all the things we wish Canon would do, but still spending money (for the most part*) on this very same brand, because we already have so much vested in it (in lenses, accessories, and so on). And that is exactly what Canon wants!

*some leave, but there are defecters and whiners on every side.

Alex | flickr (external link) | Gear & Feedback | Food! (external link)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 31, 2009 22:20 |  #51

60D is said to be back on 18 month cycle, so look for it in Spring. 60D will be competing against the d90 and even the 50D is better than the d90 although it doesn't have video but the 60D will have video.

azpix
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,335 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 01, 2009 08:17 |  #52

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #8558669 (external link)
60D is said to be back on 18 month cycle, so look for it in Spring. 60D will be competing against the d90 and even the 50D is better than the d90 although it doesn't have video but the 60D will have video.

who said?
with the 7d at $1699, i'm guessing the no 60D.

Gear- 7d, 24-70L, sigma 70-200, Sigma 120-400, canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.0,sigma 10-20 and a DJI Mavic Pro Drone

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 01, 2009 09:58 |  #53

azpix wrote in post #8561203 (external link)
who said?
with the 7d at $1699, i'm guessing the no 60D.

60D $1099.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 01, 2009 10:50 |  #54

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #8561782 (external link)
60D $1099.

I Agree, it think it would be silly to have:

1000D: $500 (MSRP)
500D: $800
BIG GAP
7D $1700

Wouldn't it make more sense to throw a $1100 body in that hole there for the people who want more than a rebel, but don't need 8fps and have a hard time with the $1700 price tag? I guess they could just leave the 50D around until it is totally obsolete and the 7D is in that price bracket (And then releaske the 7Dmk2)

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

DerekW
Goldmember
1,211 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 01, 2009 16:29 |  #55

So why 7D and not 70D

I first thought that it would be an upgrade to the 5D II, then realized if 1D is top, then a 3D would be in between a 5D and a 1D

So why did they jump to 7D, are they saying it is a little brother to a 5D as opposed to a big brother of a 50D?

Being APS-C it would seem to be more in the 10-20-30-40-50D family

Joemt
505 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 01, 2009 16:31 as a reply to  @ DerekW's post |  #56

I think the auto focus puts it in a class above the xxD series.
I not making any claims to how good it is, just a pure observation.

Joemt.

prinspaul
475 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 01, 2009 16:32 as a reply to  @ DerekW's post |  #57

I agree with that

artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,412 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 01, 2009 16:33 as a reply to  @ DerekW's post |  #58

"So why 7D and not 70D "

Why so many 7D threads!

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

Radiohead369
240 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 01, 2009 16:33 as a reply to  @ DerekW's post |  #59

Im suspecting the AF system on the 60D will be improved also.

40D | Tokie 12-24 II| 24-70L | 50 1.4| 430exII

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 01, 2009 16:34 |  #60

DerekW wrote in post #8564451 (external link)
I first thought that it would be an upgrade to the 5D II, then realized if 1D is top, then a 3D would be in between a 5D and a 1D

So why did they jump to 7D, are they saying it is a little brother to a 5D as opposed to a big brother of a 50D?

Being APS-C it would seem to be more in the 10-20-30-40-50D family

The 7D is meant to be between the XXD and the 1D series with similar build quality to the 5DII. Basically, it's a direct competitor to Nikon's D300s...a semi-pro action camera with a 1.6 crop.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

sponsored links

12,312 views & 0 likes for this thread
7d means the end of the xxD series?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.