Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 08:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!

this thread is locked
ebann
Once an ugly duckling
3,396 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Sep 01, 2009 18:01 |  #2176

alt4852 wrote in post #8563847 (external link)
that's a pretty sick deal. considering 1ds classics sell for around $1000 on ebay, i'm shocked that you could sell it for nearly twice as much over there. is there any rhyme or reason to this?

1Ds3 costs $12,000-$14,000 just for you to have an idea... it's import duty which causes the high prices. You guys should take a vacation here and drop it off for me to sell for you... I'll take a $1,000 cut and you keep the rest :cool:

Ellery Bann
Fuji X100
6D | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 50 1.4
1D Mk IV | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 135 2L | 400 5.6L

sponsored links
sodalis
304 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 01, 2009 19:40 |  #2177

SwiftFootTim wrote in post #8562102 (external link)
I keep waiting for the 1dsMkII's to hit around $1,800.00. This is the point at which I will consider them... Right now a 5D looks tempting, but I really want the weather sealing and build quality of the 1D series. So for now I'll just admire your guy's FF stuff.

It's possible to get that now, just takes some patience and watching ebay like a hawk. I got mine in July for $1840 after Cashback, and that was for a near mint camera with under 8k on the shutter, all accessories, and an extra Canon battery. :D

M3Rocket
580 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 01, 2009 19:58 |  #2178

Tareq wrote in post #8562330 (external link)
Believe me, it will be sooner or later next year or maybe at the end of this year, they will announce about it in no time ;)
But if it is under 30mp i am not gonna buy it, but if it is say 31mp and say about 8 or 10fps and ISO up to 6400 i may think about it, 7D is coming with 18mp and 8fps, so they should make that 1Ds mkIV [or 1D mkIV] higher in something over 7D [mp, fps maybe, ISO, .....].

Doubt the 1Ds4 will be an 30+MP 8fps camera. Canon has never made fps "the" issue for the 1Ds series. The new 1D4 will probably top 10 fps @ 16-18MP. If the new 1Ds4 is 30+MP, I'm guessing it'll be around between 5-7fps.

What I'd rather have on the future 1Ds4 would be: an AMOLED screen; dedicated/programmable mirror lock-up button; AF points spread out towards the rule of thirds intersections; cross-type f2.8 extra sensitive on all AF points (not just the center cluster); ability to AF at f8 on ALL focus points; 18-20 RAW shot buffer; 6fps at around 30MP; with mRAW at half MP, and sRAW at quarter MP. I'm finding all the current 17MP 1DsII not really critical since few photos ever get printed in poster sizes. The 1Ds2 RAW files as is takes up too much space; let alone what a 30MP 14-bit file size would be <gulp>.

And wouldn't it be cool to have the 7D auto-orientation AF point selection and built-in Speedlite Commander? :cool: Oh yeah--I could care less if they excluded the video feature.

iLUKphotography (external link)

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 01, 2009 20:56 |  #2179

M3Rocket wrote in post #8565619 (external link)
Doubt the 1Ds4 will be an 30+MP 8fps camera. Canon has never made fps "the" issue for the 1Ds series. The new 1D4 will probably top 10 fps @ 16-18MP. If the new 1Ds4 is 30+MP, I'm guessing it'll be around between 5-7fps.

What I'd rather have on the future 1Ds4 would be: an AMOLED screen; dedicated/programmable mirror lock-up button; AF points spread out towards the rule of thirds intersections; cross-type f2.8 extra sensitive on all AF points (not just the center cluster); ability to AF at f8 on ALL focus points; 18-20 RAW shot buffer; 6fps at around 30MP; with mRAW at half MP, and sRAW at quarter MP. I'm finding all the current 17MP 1DsII not really critical since few photos ever get printed in poster sizes. The 1Ds2 RAW files as is takes up too much space; let alone what a 30MP 14-bit file size would be <gulp>.

And wouldn't it be cool to have the 7D auto-orientation AF point selection and built-in Speedlite Commander? :cool: Oh yeah--I could care less if they excluded the video feature.

That sounds like a very cool feature set on your wish list!

I think I would want a substantial improvement to the sensor itself. Something that would have enough dynamic light range that it could eliminate to the need for HDR photography all together. The whole HDR process is tedious and too time consuming to really make it much more then a novelty process as so many people who use it, use it poorly. This would be a substantial picture quality improvement! Fancy screen technologies and more/differently spaced out AF points wont really do that. And as far as the flash transmitter thing; if its not a dual IR/RF system, it will still be limiting to many lighting setups where the IR doesn't work.

Cheers!

GEAR LIST l WEBSITE (external link)

dlintz
614 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 01, 2009 22:43 as a reply to  @ The Ghost of FM's post |  #2180

I agree ghost. IMO expanding the dynamic range should be the top priority in any new 1 series. Sensor technology appears to have taken a back seat to higher MP and faster processors.

Viva la Revolution!! :cool:

d.

Doug

1Ds II 17-40L - 24-70L - Sigmalux - Sigma 85 f/1.4 - 70-200L 2.8 II - Sigma 1.4x - G9 - Cybersyncs and some other stuff

M3Rocket
580 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 02, 2009 03:36 |  #2181

Actually, I don't think HDR is that difficult--especially with Photomatix Pro, a tripod, and bracketed RAW exposures. The only reason we even need HDR is because we're trying to compress dynamic range to fit within the output/display. Even if you could capture 16-stops in one exposure, one would still be limited with reproducing it. In essence, the dynamic range would have to be compressed again for display! Grad filters are actually an analog method for compressing DR--something that is easily done today in digital.

Not that I'm against improved sensors. I just think we're at the point that sensor tech advancement will be much slower because we're reaching physical constraints (lens resolution, manufacturing tolerance, et al) and the properties of light itself. I think there's way more that can be done with the AF system though. Good face detection for instance, is quite a neat trick! And whatever happened to eye-controlled focus? It worked well for me on the EOS 5/A2E.

Ultimately, I think the increased photo-site density (increased MP) will be more useful when combined with the ability to pixel-bin. This could result in markedly better noise performance and color accuracy at higher ISO. It would be neat if the 1D4 series would pixel bin for mRAW and sRAW, but I suspect research into that area is still in it's infancy. Who knows--Canon might surprise everyone.

There are but a handful of sports shots that could benefit from a 30+MP camera, but the majority would benefit from higher shutter speeds and better noise performance. Landscapes and architecture on the other hand would benefit greatly--I just spent a good admiring the work of Rodney Lough Jr. (external link) in one of his galleries in S.F. He uses an 8x10 film camera, and the gigantic prints show no grain at all. And the colors and resolution are stunning! Everytime he clicks the shutter, it's about US$50.

As for the IR flash control, I have actually used an ST-E2 for several years successfully outdoors in full sun. People assume because it's IR, it's terrible, but in practice, it works fairly well. It works fantastically well indoors. Obviously the RF PocketWizards have better range and doesn't require aiming the IR window.

I also much prefer the handy IR remote shutter release on the Rebel series (and the 7D) than having to plugin another corded trigger, but I'm not sure Canon will include that consumer feature on the 1D series.

M3Rocket
580 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 02, 2009 03:44 |  #2182

Some shots from the Portland International Test Rose Garden (over 1,000 varieties of roses there!):

#1.

IMAGE: http://iluk.zenfolio.com/img/v4/p857945532-5.jpg

#2.
IMAGE: http://iluk.zenfolio.com/img/v1/p1032749952-4.jpg

#3.
IMAGE: http://iluk.zenfolio.com/img/v3/p994504960-4.jpg

#4.
IMAGE: http://iluk.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p912996624-4.jpg

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 02, 2009 04:46 |  #2183

The Ghost of FM wrote in post #8564617 (external link)
Time for more pictures and Photo-shopping fun!

Here's the before...

And the after!

QUOTED IMAGE

Did a bit of cropping, perspective correction, cloning out the power lines and traffic cones, played with the levels and colors and added a slight vignette effect.

Cheers!

Very nice!!

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 02, 2009 21:59 |  #2184

zincozinco wrote in post #8567836 (external link)
Very nice!!

Thanks!

I know its still summer but I was digging through some of my winter shots from January of this year and found a good candidate to rework in CS4!

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i66.photobucket​.com …meister/VV4G052​5small.jpg (external link)

Cheers!

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 03, 2009 10:40 as a reply to  @ The Ghost of FM's post |  #2185

And a few more from the same series...

http://i66.photobucket​.com …meister/VV4G052​8small.jpg (external link)

http://i66.photobucket​.com …meister/VV4G053​2small.jpg (external link)

http://i66.photobucket​.com …meister/VV4G053​4small.jpg (external link)

Cheers!

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
13,021 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 03, 2009 11:47 |  #2186

^ Love that last one, Jeff... Very nice!!!

- airbutchie :)

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 03, 2009 12:02 |  #2187

airbutchie wrote in post #8576716 (external link)
^ Love that last one, Jeff... Very nice!!!

- airbutchie :)

Me too!! this is not now is it???

edit: I need to remember to read the posts as well - not just look at the images....

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 03, 2009 12:23 as a reply to  @ zincozinco's post |  #2188

Thanks guys! ;)

Cheers!

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,579 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 03, 2009 20:07 |  #2189

Nice shots, Jeff. I don't miss the snow, in the winter, as much as I thought I might. ;)

Nice ones M3, I like the second one best. :)

MCSquared Photography (external link) on WWW
MCSquared Photography (external link) on Flickr
MCSquared Photography (external link) on IG
My name: Manish.

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 03, 2009 23:51 |  #2190

inthedeck wrote in post #8579449 (external link)
Nice shots, Jeff. I don't miss the snow, in the winter, as much as I thought I might. ;)

Nice ones M3, I like the second one best. :)

Thanks!

I really like having all 4 seasons to shot with! Adds to the variety of possibilities! And having the 1DsMkII means the weather is never a problem! ;)

I've got one more that I've been working this evening, this time from the spring of this year and put a lot of work into carefully cloning out the power lines and replacing the sky. This one taken with my 24L...

http://i66.photobucket​.com …ster/VV4G2641-PSsmall.jpg (external link)

Cheers!

sponsored links

1,352,690 views & 0 likes for this thread
-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.