Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Sep 2009 (Tuesday) 22:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D shutter lag time

twoshadows
Liquid Nitrogen
7,032 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 01, 2009 22:33 |  #1

.064s

That puts it about even with the 30D in terms of shutter responsiveness and slower than the 40/50D. So, a bit of a step backwards for action shooters in this respect.

Note: D300 shutter lag time = .045s, which puts it in the same league as the 1DmkII/1DmkIIn...

Edit: I have changed the line above to reflect the Nikon D300, as I originally intended. Sorry for the confusion :) .

xgender.net (external link) Miss Julia Grey (she/her/Miss)
OST, API, PPP & MLI explained (external link)

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 01, 2009 22:35 |  #2

8 FPS means you can shoot early and often.

Simply make it up in volume. ;)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

twoshadows
THREAD ­ STARTER
Liquid Nitrogen
7,032 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 01, 2009 22:36 |  #3

Lol, Jay. If only that were true :) .

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 01, 2009 22:41 |  #4

For all intents and purposes there really isn't any "shutter lag" in dSLRs today. At least not the kind experienced by P&S users who sometimes need a calendar or an hour glass to measure it.

I will admit though that having spent a week in July shooting with a MkIII on one shoulder and a 5D Classic on the other, "action" shots with the 5D did actually take a little bit of anticipation.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

exodusfman800
649 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 01, 2009 22:42 |  #5

Geez, are you serious? Why the hell does Canon do this stuff?

-Jon

Canon 1D Mark II, 24-105 f/4L IS, 16-35 f/2.8L II, 135 f/2L, and Elinchrom Lighting Equipment

lalelulelo
79 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 01, 2009 22:49 |  #6

It's too bad that according to this site human finger tip reaction time is 0.2-0.25s.
Fingertip reaction time (external link)

If you were pressing the button 0.045s before the action happens why not just do it 0.064s ahead. It's not like the trigger goes off before you press it right? Then there would be a problem.

BenJohnson
Goldmember
1,811 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 01, 2009 22:50 |  #7

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #8566525 (external link)
For all intents and purposes there really isn't any "shutter lag" in dSLRs today. At least not the kind experienced by P&S users who sometimes need a calendar or an hour glass to measure it.

I gave my friend my 40D to take a picture of me and ended up getting 5 pictures with one push of the shutter button because he was so used to the P&S lag time!

|Ben Johnson Photography (external link)|
|Gear List|

twoshadows
THREAD ­ STARTER
Liquid Nitrogen
7,032 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 01, 2009 22:50 |  #8

I will admit though that having spent a week in July shooting with a MkIII on one shoulder and a 5D Classic on the other, "action" shots with the 5D did actually take a little bit of anticipation.

Well, it's nothign like a P&S :) . But, for action like volleyball, the 50D barely cuts it with the shutter lag time imo. The 1DmkIIn was nice in that regard :) . And switching back and forth between the 20D and 1DmkIIn, where the lag time difference was nearly double, was a nightmare.

It just seems that Canon dropped the ball a little on this spec...

samueli
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 01, 2009 22:51 as a reply to  @ lalelulelo's post |  #9

That's some serious nitty-gritty.

twoshadows
THREAD ­ STARTER
Liquid Nitrogen
7,032 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 01, 2009 22:52 |  #10

lalelulelo wrote in post #8566564 (external link)
It's too bad that according to this site human finger tip reaction time is 0.2-0.25s.
Fingertip reaction time (external link)

If you were pressing the button 0.045s before the action happens why not just do it 0.064s ahead. It's not like the trigger goes off before you press it right? Then there would be a problem.

That requires a .019s of extra anticipation, and that's a lot! :)

Don't get me wrong, it really only matters when shooting very fast action sports or candids, but I shoot a lot of that.

itzcryptic
Goldmember
1,174 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 01, 2009 22:52 |  #11

twoshadows wrote in post #8566487 (external link)
.064s

That puts it about even with the 30D in terms of shutter responsiveness and slower than the 40/50D. So, a bit of a step backwards for action shooters in this respect.

Note: 300D shutter lag time = .045s, which puts it in the same league as the 1DmkII/1DmkIIn...

Where are you finding that info? What I looked up said the 350 and 400 were at almost .1 seconds.

The 40d is listed as .061s, so 3 one thousandths of a second slower. I'll give you $5 if you can tell the difference using it in the real world. :)

I found a place that listed the 50D at .02, but I think that's incorrect as it's not in line with the other cameras.

twoshadows
THREAD ­ STARTER
Liquid Nitrogen
7,032 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 01, 2009 22:57 |  #12

itzcryptic wrote in post #8566587 (external link)
Where are you finding that info? What I looked up said the 350 and 400 were at almost .1 seconds.

The 40d is listed as .061s, so 3 one thousandths of a second slower. I'll give you $5 if you can tell the difference using it in the real world. :)

I found a place that listed the 50D at .02, but I think that's incorrect as it's not in line with the other cameras.

Ugh. I don't want to go look for the links :) .

I have the 40/50D at .059s, so we're close enough for arguments sake. :) My point is that, no matter how small, .064s is a step backwards in response time. i would like to have seen .050s at least.

My fault regarding the 300D - I meant the Nikon D300 :) . Oops.

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,316 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Sep 01, 2009 22:59 |  #13

the 5d is the only DSLR that i've owned where shutter lag was an issue -- it was very real and noticeable -- combine the lag with 3 fps and shooting fast action was a crapshoot :D.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

twoshadows
THREAD ­ STARTER
Liquid Nitrogen
7,032 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 01, 2009 23:05 |  #14

ed rader wrote in post #8566625 (external link)
the 5d is the only DSLR that i've owned where shutter lag was an issue -- it was very real and noticeable -- combine the lag with 3 fps and shooting fast action was a crapshoot :D.

ed rader

Exactly, Ed. i use the 5D for street and candids at events and I find I must really concentrate and anticipate with it in order to capture those fleeting moments. Nothing completely unmanageable, mind you (;)), but I wish Canon would pay more attention to this spec.

pcunite
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 01, 2009 23:09 |  #15

While we are nitpicking the 7D I should mention that it does not have changeable focus screens... real downer for me as I like manual focus confirmation.

sponsored links

32,877 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D shutter lag time
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.