Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 01 Sep 2009 (Tuesday) 17:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

8D vs. 9.5D, vs 1.23 DS mk6

Imagineering
197 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 01, 2009 17:08 |  #1

Hey Im all for improvement and bettering of the breed, but I really find it hard to get excited or inspired by any of the newest cameras coming out these days form the likes of any of these manufacturers, especially Canon. Im so fkn confused now with all these models, and the improvements are slight. The first taste I got of this was when I dropped 8 grand on one of the first 1ds mk3s and then shortly after the 5dmk2 came out, I was pissed that they were someowhat similar and I could have saved over 4k. then there was what? the 10, 20, 30 , 40, 50d, and now the 7 d, then the 5 d the 5d mk2, the 1ds, the 1ds mk2, the 1ds mk3.....all within a few years....for cryin out loud, there does come a point when your just making too much stuff and take away the fun of it. Im in no rush, nor will i be to run out and buy anything new that canon brings out that .00235% better than the newest thing they just announced 2 minutes prior. Again, I think its fine to make improvements, but make it worthwhile, not just slight one upmanship, its actually kind of boring. Canons new models get released with about the same frequency as a teenager updates their twitter page. That kind of variety works with jelly beans and dog breeds, but cameras, come on just my 2, er 3, no 4, wait, 5, hang on...5.2, ooh wait, 7 cents

http://www.garibaldiph​oto.com (external link)
I love the images I get from my camera phone

sponsored links
overclock
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 01, 2009 17:29 |  #2

With out any paragraph breaks, your post is extremely difficult to read. Any Cliff notes?

oaktree
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 01, 2009 18:00 as a reply to  @ overclock's post |  #3

I can't read what you wrote, but I completely agree with you. The 9.5D will be awesome!! I think:D

Too much stuff, not enough shooting time.

Canon T4i (2 lenses), Fuji X100s, Olympus OM-D EM-1 (3 lenses)

Brett
Goldmember
4,176 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 01, 2009 18:06 |  #4

The 7D brings (what should be) a vastly improved AF system, a new metering system, full-manual control video, and what looks to be pretty impressive ISO performance, along with 8 fps. I'd hardly say they improved on the 50D by .00235%.

In fact, it seems they included just about everything crop shooters sought.

I, for one, am impressed, and I still shoot an "old school" 5D that I love.

If they bring out a FF camera with the 7D's AF and metering and improved fps, Canon users may no longer have to look at the D700 with lust.

flickr (external link)

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 01, 2009 18:13 |  #5

Huh?

You lost me at

I dropped 8 grand on one of the first 1ds mk3s and then shortly after the 5dmk2 came out, I was pissed that they were someowhat similar and I could have saved over 4k.

The 1DsMkIII came out almost 2 years before the 5DMkII did, and the only real similarities between the bodies are that they are both full-frame and have about the same megapixels.

Would you rather that they never came out with new cameras?

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

justaf ­ IREMAN
Goldmember
1,148 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 01, 2009 18:15 |  #6

Isn't it better to have more choices? Just pick the one that works for you and take some photos. If you don't like your current model sell it and buy another one. Are you angry at all the different car models driving around out in the streets too?

current gear...1DIII, X-E1, X-PRO 1, X100, Lumix LX5, Fujinon 35 1.4, 85LII, 430EXII, 430EX....
past canon gear....XS, 7D, 2 5DII, 2 1DIII, , 18-55IS, 24-70L, 85 F1.8, 85LII, 35F2, 35L, 24L, 200 F2L, 580EXII....

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 01, 2009 18:18 as a reply to  @ oaktree's post |  #7

I like to buy cameras when they're considered yesterday's news! That way, you can get a great deal on a perfectly good camera that all of the "got-to-have-it-first" crowd are willing to dump for 30 to 40 cents on the dollar.

That's how I got my 1DsMkII. ;)

Sure, the latest features are really nice to have but its also good to remember that those features aren't a guarantee of you taking better pictures. That's far more dependent on your glass and your skills both as a shooter and post processor.

Cheers!

GEAR LIST l WEBSITE (external link)

lostid
Goldmember
2,622 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 01, 2009 18:18 |  #8

Remember this is more about business making money than keeping the buyers happy. The same can be said to many software products.

flickr (external link) & Gear

scas
221 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 01, 2009 18:26 |  #9

Maybe it's just me , but i've no problem reading 6 and a half lines. Agree with the OP- maybe the 7ds' canons way of poncing up the xxd range( which to me are fat xxxds with a significant price loading) and killing the same range.

everything ever

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Sep 01, 2009 18:32 |  #10

Maybe it's time to just enjoy/use what you have and stop worrying about the gear so much.

There will always be a better model coming out, whether it's cars, computers or cameras - get over it or it will consume you.

If you're out taking photos and getting good results, what do you really care if another model comes out that has an extra button or megapixel?

Brett
Goldmember
4,176 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 01, 2009 22:12 |  #11

Todd Lambert wrote in post #8565130 (external link)
Maybe it's time to just enjoy/use what you have and stop worrying about the gear so much.

There will always be a better model coming out, whether it's cars, computers or cameras - get over it or it will consume you.

If you're out taking photos and getting good results, what do you really care if another model comes out that has an extra button or megapixel?

Well said.
I'm perfectly happy with the 5D. Do I want 19 AF points, all cross-type? Sure. Do I need them for what I shoot? Not that I've noticed. :)

flickr (external link)

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 01, 2009 22:46 |  #12
bannedPermanently

DDCSD wrote in post #8565037 (external link)
Huh?

You lost me at

The 1DsMkIII came out almost 2 years before the 5DMkII did, and the only real similarities between the bodies are that they are both full-frame and have about the same megapixels.

Would you rather that they never came out with new cameras?

hm +1

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,275 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 02, 2009 16:48 |  #13

Todd Lambert wrote in post #8565130 (external link)

I may have wished for that particular button to be on my current camera.

Anders

JAcosta
Goldmember
1,522 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 02, 2009 17:33 |  #14

DDCSD wrote in post #8565037 (external link)
Huh?

You lost me at

He's saying the 5DII came out shortly after he bought his copy of the 1DsIII.

Like any of the photos Ive posted?flickr flickr flickr (external link)
^^^Click Here^^^
Chances are you'll see something else you like!

sponsored links

2,890 views & 0 likes for this thread
8D vs. 9.5D, vs 1.23 DS mk6
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.