Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Sep 2009 (Tuesday) 17:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sell 1DMIII for 7D?

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 02, 2009 08:28 |  #61
bannedPermanently

I want a 1Dm3 =(

sponsored links
Sageg
521 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 02, 2009 08:35 |  #62

But both the 5d2 and the 1dm3 have issues with focus, or so I've read. If the 7D has consistently good focus, it makes it mighty nice.

Sarah

Eyes, hands, brains, legs

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,161 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Sep 02, 2009 09:02 |  #63

Sageg wrote in post #8568626 (external link)
But both the 5d2 and the 1dm3 have issues with focus, or so I've read. If the 7D has consistently good focus, it makes it mighty nice.

Don't believe everything you read! :)

And somebody somewhere will find something wrong with the 7D AF and spread it like wildfire.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

col4bin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,264 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 02, 2009 09:03 |  #64

Well, I am not a professional. I like the 10fps of the MIII but the size of the camera has become an issue for me. I barely use it because I don't want to carry it around. 8fps will meet my needs. I also think the image quality of the 5DII is superior to the MIII. I would not be surprised if the 7D is better too. It seems like the MIV will be a single model and probably cost more money than I am willng to spend. If I made money off my photography it would be a different discussion. The 7D will get more use from me.

Frank
http://www.fiorentinop​hotography.com (external link)
My Gear

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 02, 2009 09:06 |  #65

I'm basically done with 1.6 crops. I shoot a lot of sports and landscapes. I prefer FF or 1.3 sensors over the 1.6.

I would use the 7D as a backup for a 1dmk3 but that would be about it.

j.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,751 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 02, 2009 09:13 as a reply to  @ JohnJ80's post |  #66

If they woulda made the 7D in a mini version of the 1D with integrated grip. I would have done the switch. Just something about that design that feels so much nicer.

My gear
Fuji X-T2, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Fuji 35 f2, Fuji 50 f2, Fuji 90 f2, Fuji 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS
Sony RX100 II

col4bin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,264 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 02, 2009 09:15 |  #67

The 7d will be the back up to my 5DII.

Frank
http://www.fiorentinop​hotography.com (external link)
My Gear

joe9047
375 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 02, 2009 09:21 |  #68

col4bin wrote in post #8568837 (external link)
The 7d will be the back up to my 5DII.

To me this would be a killer combo.

Joe
Gear

Adama
215 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 02, 2009 09:39 |  #69

col4bin wrote in post #8568766 (external link)
Well, I am not a professional. I like the 10fps of the MIII but the size of the camera has become an issue for me. I barely use it because I don't want to carry it around. 8fps will meet my needs. I also think the image quality of the 5DII is superior to the MIII. I would not be surprised if the 7D is better too. It seems like the MIV will be a single model and probably cost more money than I am willng to spend. If I made money off my photography it would be a different discussion. The 7D will get more use from me.

If the size is your only issue with the Mark III, frankly I think it would be best if you suck it up and gave it another chance. Downgrading to a 7D over weight is just silly IMO. You're giving up too much for a lighter camera. If you think the Mark III is heavy, try carrying around a Mark II N for a day. The more you use your 1D the more you'll get used to the size. DSLRs are not meant to be pocket cameras. Try carrying around the camera with the strap on your shoulder to make it easier (FYI: I never have my Mark III strap on my neck. It is simply too heavy for this with the majority of L Zoom lenses)

1D Mark III - 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS - 24-70mm f/2.8 L - 50mm f/1.4 - 580EX II
flickr (external link)
http://www.alexpylyshy​n.com (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 02, 2009 09:41 |  #70

zincozinco wrote in post #8568131 (external link)
Basically what i meant is that if the put a crop factor into the body it might as well be 1.6.

the time I had the 1dmk2 i was never happy about the 1.3 anyway. all the way or the highway... :) The only reason for 1.3 in my opinion is if you dont have a FF and need to compromise the lenses.

1.3x still keeps my lenses reasonable close to what they were intended for. I see it as best of both worlds actually.

The 1.6x bring things out of whack. Ain't no way I'm buying an EF-S lens when I have EF lenses that covers that range even on my 1DMKIII.

I really like the 1.3x. If you need wide, buy a FF.

Common sense...

Adama
215 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 02, 2009 09:46 |  #71

I just would like to re-emphasize that the 1D Mark III is probably the most impactful photography purchase I've ever made. I had previously used the xxD line for sports, but the Mark III just made my life so much easier and my photography much more enjoyable. With the AF problems resolved, it's a beast of a camera and the thought of having to use the xxD or 7D instead honestly leaves a foul taste in my mouth. They're good cameras...but once you go 1D your standards hit the roof.

1D Mark III - 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS - 24-70mm f/2.8 L - 50mm f/1.4 - 580EX II
flickr (external link)
http://www.alexpylyshy​n.com (external link)

kevinmcdade
603 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 02, 2009 09:47 |  #72

Adama wrote in post #8568958 (external link)
If the size is your only issue with the Mark III, frankly I think it would be best if you suck it up and gave it another chance. Downgrading to a 7D over weight is just silly IMO. You're giving up too much for a lighter camera. If you think the Mark III is heavy, try carrying around a Mark II N for a day. The more you use your 1D the more you'll get used to the size. DSLRs are not meant to be pocket cameras. Try carrying around the camera with the strap on your shoulder to make it easier (FYI: I never have my Mark III strap on my neck. It is simply too heavy for this)

If shooting action isn't a concern, at least invest in a body that's worthy of even being close to the realm of your pro Mark III, I.E the 5D II.

Very good points! Although the 1D3 is big it isn't really too heavy (I had a 1DIIn also). For about 30 minutes yesterday I thought about selling the 1D3 for a 7D. I quickly came back to reality and realized that would be a bad move. The 1D3 is great with superb IQ. It is an absolute pleasure to use. I messed up one time in the past and traded my 5D for a 50D because I thought I needed the latest and greatest. The 50D lasted about 3 months before I sold it and just recently bought another 5D Classic. The 50D had good IQ but it just wasn't the same as FF:D. I'm sticking with my combo until Canon puts a FF sensor in the 7D body. I REALLY want video but will wait.

-KMc-
Canon 7D | Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS | Sigma 10-20 | Canon 70-200L f/4

RikWriter
Goldmember
3,949 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined May 2004

Sep 02, 2009 09:53 |  #73

Sageg wrote in post #8568626 (external link)
But both the 5d2 and the 1dm3 have issues with focus

Not mine.

My pics:
www.pbase.com/rikwrite​r (external link)

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 02, 2009 10:05 |  #74

nicksan wrote in post #8568977 (external link)
1.3x still keeps my lenses reasonable close to what they were intended for. I see it as best of both worlds actually.

The 1.6x bring things out of whack. Ain't no way I'm buying an EF-S lens when I have EF lenses that covers that range even on my 1DMKIII.

I really like the 1.3x. If you need wide, buy a FF.

Common sense...

i know thats what i mean, im probably (pre ordered) getting the 7d and if so it will be a pure long focal length sports camera. Ive got 2 FF so that is just so that i dont have to spend 4000+ for a 400mm f4... I dont think Ill get a EF-s Lens either. Ive got my eyes on the 12-24 sigma but thats for the FF.

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 02, 2009 10:13 |  #75

zincozinco wrote in post #8569120 (external link)
i know thats what i mean, im probably (pre ordered) getting the 7d and if so it will be a pure long focal length sports camera. Ive got 2 FF so that is just so that i dont have to spend 4000+ for a 400mm f4... I dont think Ill get a EF-s Lens either. Ive got my eyes on the 12-24 sigma but thats for the FF.

I understand your point. Going 1.6x crop is certainly a cheaper way to get longer FOV-wise. If you can be task specific when it comes to the bodies, then it will work out fine.

I know when I used to own a FF and 1.6x crop, I did so for the same intentions as you, and I never used the 1.6x crop because I just couldn't get myself to accept the inferior IQ. However, if the 7D does perform, then that would be a game changer in some ways.

That said, I find that with my 1DMKIII, I can shoot anything that comes my way. Sure, I can't do extreme UWA or have that extra "reach", but for all intents and purposes, at least for my style of shooting, it is a perfect fit.

sponsored links

22,115 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sell 1DMIII for 7D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.