Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 30 Aug 2009 (Sunday) 18:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photo storage

GDH
139 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 30, 2009 18:43 |  #1

Forgive me if this is not the correct forum. I have a bunch of photos on my computers. Any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas for storing them? so that I can protect them from loss/crash?

Canon 5Diii, 24-105L, 17-40L, 70-200L 2.8, 50.

sponsored links
I26
587 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 30, 2009 19:06 |  #2

I am looking at online storage such as a smugmug account. Fairly cheap, unlimited storage for main photo file types and that way if your computer/harddrives go up in flames your still covered. Not to mention a cool interface for sharing.

http://www.smugmug.com (external link)

Canon EOS 30D / Canon 430EX | Canon BG-E2 Grip | Canon 400mm f/5.6L | Canon EF 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 USM

GDH
THREAD ­ STARTER
139 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 30, 2009 19:09 |  #3

Have a Flickr and Photobucket account. Noticed in the Flickr Terms of Use, it looks like they have the right to access/use the photos I post. Am I correct or did I read it incorrectly?

tim
Light Bringer
50,968 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 30, 2009 21:39 |  #4

External hard drive, kept in another location. Online as well, Jungledisk/S3 is one option.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Ballen ­ Photo
20,047 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Nov 2003

Aug 30, 2009 22:20 |  #5

Keep them stored on multiple hard drives, and burn them onto CD's.
Try to look for archival quality CD's, but re burn copies every few years if you can. We had a discussion about this on another site years ago, and the general consensus was that even writable CD's can have a shelf life of a few years. :(
Also, I store a lot of them at www.fototime.com . But even they can have hard drive failure, so it's always good to have back ups. ;)
-Bruce

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

Evan ­ Idler
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined May 2005

Aug 30, 2009 22:50 |  #6

I do several things.

1) Burn copies to DVD every time I download the card and keep them in a fire safe.
2) Store a copy on my File Server that has a 5 disk RAID Array.
3) Copy onto an external hard drive that I keep in the fire safe as well.
4) Replicate the external hard drive and keep it locked up off site.

It may not be 100% fool proof, but it has helped out after a direct lightning stike fried everything that was plugged in at the time.

--Evan

Canon5DIII + Some L + Some non L + Some Sigma + Some Tamron + other stuff....
Patiently awaiting a winning Lottery Ticket to afford all the toys I would really like :-P

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Aug 30, 2009 23:06 |  #7

Yes, that is a backup solution.

Evan Idler wrote in post #8552739 (external link)
I do several things.

1) Burn copies to DVD every time I download the card and keep them in a fire safe.
2) Store a copy on my File Server that has a 5 disk RAID Array.
3) Copy onto an external hard drive that I keep in the fire safe as well.
4) Replicate the external hard drive and keep it locked up off site.

It may not be 100% fool proof, but it has helped out after a direct lightning stike fried everything that was plugged in at the time.

--Evan

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

Evan ­ Idler
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined May 2005

Aug 30, 2009 23:16 |  #8

I work in a Data Centre, so I try to bring solutions that work home and apply them to my own network. Besides Disk Space is so cheap any more. I'm also working on replicating my file server to another Server at my parents place over the internet. I'm just waiting for the parts to come for the second server.

--Evan

Canon5DIII + Some L + Some non L + Some Sigma + Some Tamron + other stuff....
Patiently awaiting a winning Lottery Ticket to afford all the toys I would really like :-P

marklift
48 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 30, 2009 23:35 as a reply to  @ Evan Idler's post |  #9

I have been looking into the same issue. Here is a vid I found that talks about the latest options:

http://cnettv.cnet.com​/?tag=hdr%3bsnav (external link)

Canon 7D, 40D, S90 - EF 10-22, 50mm f/1.4, 17-55mm,
70-200 F/4 IS, 100-400mm, 100mm F/2.8L IS,

GDH
THREAD ­ STARTER
139 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 31, 2009 11:15 |  #10

Much appreciate the input!

Mothafizzy
288 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 02, 2009 17:12 |  #11

I've found external hard drives to work great; becoming to where you can get up to 500gig's or not more than $60, so it lasts quite awhile, and easy to organize with just simple folders. But some friends have tole me they do prefer the online storage over drives, but to each their own, which ever goes with your flow the best haha.

Flickr (external link)

Cali ­ Agent
186 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 03, 2009 22:59 |  #12

I used a western digital external hard drive and it crapped out on me. CDs/ DVDs are always a good way to have back up. In the end they'll probably last longer.

flickr (external link)

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 03, 2009 23:10 |  #13

I saw this bit on "Stephen Fry in America" where this old hippie couple talked about their business of helping people buy old underground nuclear missile bunkers to store data.

Interesting, that.

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 03, 2009 23:14 |  #14

It will help your system performance if you move your files off of your internal drive(s), unless you have several very large ones. I have three internal drives, one for system stuff and two raided together as a data drive, but I only have the most current shots on the data drive. I move my files to an external drive and also to whatever backup system is in place -- I use external drives and I've burned DVDs.

The reason for keeping your internal drives fairly free is so that system-intensive apps like Photoshop as well as the OS will have plenty of "scratch" room when you are processing your images.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

jmcder53
350 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 22, 2009 16:06 |  #15

some article i read where the fire safes, whatever makes them fire and waterproof can have adverse effects, at least on film negatives....anyone have more info on this?

Canon 5D III, 17-40 f4, 50 f1.4, 85 f1.8, 600 ex rt flash

sponsored links

1,891 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photo storage
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.