Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 30 Aug 2009 (Sunday) 10:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7d means the end of the xxD series?

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 01, 2009 20:52 |  #76

60D:
- same 9-point AF as 50D
- same frame rate
- 18MP
- video
- new button layout to accommodate video
- one or two other niceties
- $1100

sponsored links
Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 01, 2009 20:54 |  #77

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #8565448 (external link)
The 7D's AF layout is likely a debut of the talked about new AF of the mk IV 1-series due out next Spring.

I sure hope not. I still can't stand the diamond layout, and if it makes it onto the 1-series it'll be a step backward. Some of the AF features like AF point grouping, etc. will probably make it, but I really hope the AF point layout doesn't.

Ziffle
Goldmember
1,896 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 01, 2009 21:27 |  #78

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #8565927 (external link)
60D:
- same 9-point AF as 50D
- same frame rate
- 18MP
- video
- new button layout to accommodate video
- one or two other niceties
- $1100

+1
don't forget the swivle back screen!!
probably add same screen as 7D.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 01, 2009 21:31 |  #79

azpix wrote in post #8561203 (external link)
who said?
with the 7d at $1699, i'm guessing the no 60D.

Reports by the people who gave the leaked info about the 7D, that's who.

So there'll just be a big hole from $900 to $1700 on the lower end of dSLRs where all the sales are? :) That won't happen. If you have just a Drebel and then the 7D, that's a huge jump where the 50/60D nicely fits in.

nikon has the d90 at $1000 though it competes against the Drebel. Canon is going off of sony's hand to put out many dSLRs giving buyers choices.

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 01, 2009 22:48 |  #80
bannedPermanently

George.ML wrote in post #8549776 (external link)
The 7D is the 60D, IMO.

The 50D will remain in the lineup till next spring, when it will be replaced with a more compact body.
Might be called the 60D but they might change the name too - Rebel?

Canon won't continue selling a 6.5fps magnesium-alloy body for the same price as the plastic D90.

pretty much.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,286 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 02, 2009 06:22 as a reply to  @ merp's post |  #81

The 7D it too big a step from the 50D to be instead of the 60D.
If Canon is capable of selling a 50D at the same cost as you get a D90 for, and make a profit, then Canon is in an excellent position there.

Plus the 7D's AF points are cross type with f5.6 lenses which the current 1-series AF is not - only f2.8 lenses.

Besides, the 1D points aren't high-precision cross type at f/2.8, but only linear high-precision. The same goes for the 5D/5D mark II. The 7D/50D/40D only have one high-precision point (center), but it's at least still cross type when in high-precision mode.

Anders

boclcown
299 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 02, 2009 06:30 |  #82

considering that the 60D, if released, would cost around 1200-1300, it's doubtful that Canon would allow such a camera to exist. At best, the 60D would simply canabalize sales of the 7D, especially if it included video. How many consumers would buy the 7D just because of 18 MPX vs. 15 MPX and 8FPS vs. 6FPS? Where would the incentive be?

If anything, Canon will let the allure of the 7D linger through Christmas and next year, and release a higher level Rebel to fill the gap.

But if you think Canon is going to jeopardize 7D sales by offering a similarly speced but cheaper camera, you're mistaken.

Flickr (external link)
http://www.alexkotranp​hotography.com (external link)
5D Mark II | 24-70 f2.8L | Sigmalux 50 f1.4 | 70-200 f2.8L | 430EX II

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 02, 2009 10:14 |  #83

boclcown wrote in post #8568102 (external link)
But if you think Canon is going to jeopardize 7D sales by offering a similarly speced but cheaper camera, you're mistaken.

Bold words. See you in 6 months :) Entirely possible you could be right, but I wouldn't be so sure. I still think a $1100-$1200 60D is likely. The extra $500-$600 to move up from there to a 7D isn't chump change.

Ziffle
Goldmember
1,896 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 02, 2009 10:32 |  #84

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #8569180 (external link)
Bold words. See you in 6 months :) Entirely possible you could be right, but I wouldn't be so sure. I still think a $1100-$1200 60D is likely. The extra $500-$600 to move up from there to a 7D isn't chump change.

ditto......
in one of the early hands on review of the 7D - it mentioned something of an 18 month cycle for xxD series - going back to.....

we will have to see if true.

Later,
Mark

krepta
I swear I'm Ken Rockwell!
8,482 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 02, 2009 15:12 |  #85

boclcown wrote in post #8568102 (external link)
considering that the 60D [...]

It's not all about MP's and fps. The 60D won't have the 7D's AF. It will probably remain at 9 points. It's also likely that the 60D won't have the intelligent, 100%, 1x viewfinder with LCD overlay and all the new AF modes the 7D has. Just those aspects are already an important enough difference for some customers to choose the 7D over the 60D for the added cost. I would also venture to say the 60D won't have two processors; it might get a single Digic 5, at best.

Alex | flickr (external link) | Gear & Feedback | Food! (external link)

pixel_junkie
Goldmember
2,008 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 02, 2009 15:31 |  #86

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #8569180 (external link)

The 40 was $1299 when it came out, the 50D was $1399 (wasn't it?). A 60D, if it ever came out, would certainly be more than both of the above bodies, especially considering the jump of prices for everithing else they sell. So we're talking either $200 or $300 price difference between a possible 60D and the 7D - I don't see it. CANON will have to improve the 60D body in some way to get people to upgrade. At that point, it would be too close to the 7D and most people would go for it over the 60D. I think the idea of 60D is dead. You may however see a turbocharged antry level camera. CANONs idea is to make you spend more and more, not less. Current 20,30, 40, 50D owners have only one way to go and that is UP (as in upgrade).

Website (external link) | Blog (external link)

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 02, 2009 15:42 |  #87

pixel_junkie wrote in post #8571298 (external link)
The 40 was $1299 when it came out, the 50D was $1399 (wasn't it?). A 60D, if it ever came out, would certainly be more than both of the above bodies, especially considering the jump of prices for everithing else they sell.

If there were no 7D at $1700, I could see a 60D coming out at $1400. Maybe. Now that there is a 7D at $1700, a 60D would come in at a lower price, say $1100-$1200.

A brief xxD body price history:

D60: $2200
10D: $1500
20D: $1500
30D: $1400
40D: $1300
50D: $1300

(Numbers per DPReview)

I don't see anything impossible about a $1200 60D, especially since Canon themselves have confirmed that the 7D is a completely new genre of camera, not a replacement for the 50D.

pixel_junkie
Goldmember
2,008 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 02, 2009 15:42 as a reply to  @ pixel_junkie's post |  #88

Naming the new camera 7D makes no sense considering how it's been so far. But then it does - how are CANON supposed to make you go buy a 60D that costs $300-$400 more than what you paid last for your XXD body AND be excited about it? Make it sound more like a 5D of course - a marketing strategy to make a major price hike more justifiable for the consumer.

Website (external link) | Blog (external link)

krepta
8,482 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 02, 2009 15:54 as a reply to  @ pixel_junkie's post |  #89

Don't forget, Canon went ahead with another entry-level class, the xxxxD's to complement the xxxD's. They carry a smaller feature set at a lower price to help ease the P&S crowd into dSLR's even further. So I don't see why Canon would not continue the xxD pro-sumer line. I firmly believe the 7D is the beginning of an entirely new line of semi-professional cameras comparable to the 5 series (5D and 5D MkII so far). While the 5D's are primarily about image quality and meant for portrait and landscape work, the 7D and its sucessor will be about fast speed and aimed for sports and wildlife shooters. Just below these two lines, there will still be the xxD's for advanced amateurs who do not necessarily need the "higher" features of the 5 or 7 series. And still below, of course, we will continue to see two lines of Rebels, entry-level cameras for the beginners and casual shooters.

With more levels and a smaller price gap between each level or series, it is easier for customers to move up the ladder, since a smaller price difference makes it more tempting to dish out the $$$ for the next level immediately above.

krepta
8,482 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 02, 2009 20:22 as a reply to  @ krepta's post |  #90

Here you go:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=746699
There will be a 60D.

To illustrate my previous point further, a friend of mine has been waiting for a long time to upgrade from his Rebel XT, the only dSLR he has at the moment. The one feature he absolutely wants is full HD video at 24p, which currently only the 7D has (out of Canon's lineup -- the 5D MkII has full HD at 30p only). He really likes the feature-set of the 7D, but the $1699 tag is still too high for him, so he will wait to see if the 60D will have full HD video at 24p as well. The 60D will likely be priced no higher than $1400, a difference of about only $300. To some of us, $300 is not a huge obstacle, but to many other potential customers such as my friend, it can be unsurmountable.

sponsored links

12,309 views & 0 likes for this thread
7d means the end of the xxD series?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.