Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 03 Sep 2009 (Thursday) 11:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Convert slides to digital

rmpcanon
57 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 03, 2009 11:40 |  #1

I would like to convert old slides & negatives to high quality digital.

CostCo has an ImageBox Digital Film, Slide & Photo Converter for $130 ($200 @ B&H and Adorama), and the price includes Adobe Photoshop Elements, which I don't already have. This price is right; but is this unit any good? No price is worth it if the output is not of good quality; I want good quality digital images.

sponsored links
Midlife ­ Crisis
77 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 03, 2009 14:45 |  #2

A few years ago I scanned some of my pre-digital slides and negatives using my HP Photosmart scanner I bought for around $450. At the max scanning resolution they came out to be around 1MB in size and would print kind'ov acceptable 6 X 4 prints. You get what you pay for.

Have you checked out scantips.com?

30D
17-55 IS
70-200 f2.8 IS
Leica M3 :p

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,288 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 03, 2009 18:27 |  #3

If you want hi res, there are professional commercial services that do that...just check for their specifications about the pixel dimensions of the scanned slides. The problem with home scanning is all the prep work of cleaning the slide!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Bodog
Goldmember
1,306 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 04, 2009 00:14 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #4

My experience with low end slide scanners has been they aren't worth it Dog slow and low quality results. Costco doesn't advertise it, but they will scan slides for you, It's a side benefit of those Fuji Frontier and Noritsu printers. Not sure what the scan resolution is but, the printers print up to 12 X 18. Have then do a few for you; If they're any good, go for it. If not, you're only out a few bucks.

JimE
Color? It's all relative...

TwistedPixel
52 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 04, 2009 01:02 |  #5

For a high quality home scanning is bad idea IMHO.
When in average digital photolab they scan with professional machines you cant beat theeir quality with home scanners.

Not sure how are the newest scanners for sale now, i only speak from my own exp. used to work in digital photolab 8 years ago. Time runs fast though, maybe some good improvements came the last years :)

The prices might be high in local digital photolabs,,, but still it is very different from country to country.
The country where i worked in digital photolab, the scan 38x45 with resolution 300 pixels/inch (2 mb - JPG or around 30 mb TIF) cost a little bit lower than 1US dollar. And i know they still offer the same prices.... not because they do not provide quality, but because there would be no customers if price would be higher (people simply could not afford it, because of a low wages)

I know in Ireland etc. price is much much higher.

There is also online services like 'scandigital.com' but to be honest i do not know and newer asked/hear how well they do so can not give any feedback :) The price is lower than 1 us dollar per slide scan

FotOz
932 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 04, 2009 08:09 |  #6

TwistedPixel wrote in post #8580978 (external link)
Not sure how are the newest scanners for sale now, i only speak from my own exp. used to work in digital photolab 8 years ago. Time runs fast though, maybe some good improvements came the last years

8 years in this game is a lifetime.
I'm afraid the stuff you worked with then is so obsolete it's prehistoric.
I scan my slides (in fact I scan everything) with an 'Epson Perfection V300 Photo' scanner. Sheer magic results, and combined with Photoshop for post-processing - sheer brilliance.

. . . Steve . . .
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/fotoshoppe (external link)
Fuji W3, Canon 400D, 450D, 550D+BGs. 2X1GB, 1x4GB and 1x16GB CF cards. 3X32GB SDHC and 4x8GB SDHC cards. 1X18-55 EFS lens. 1X28-105 and 1X75-300 USM Canon EF lenses. 1x18-200 IS Canon EFS lens. Canon Speedlite 380EX & Canon Speedlite 430EX II flashes. 1 x Rolleiflex and 1 x Rolleicord TLR cameras. i-phone5.

TwistedPixel
52 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 04, 2009 19:19 |  #7

FotOz wrote in post #8582176 (external link)
8 years in this game is a lifetime.
I'm afraid the stuff you worked with then is so obsolete it's prehistoric.

Totally agree with you, FotOz. of course, 8 years in technology in general is really massive time period.

but still comparing Home and Lab scanners quality:
If affordable home film scanner nowadays could do it with the same quality as 'prehistoric' scanning machine in lab 8 uears ago, would be great.

FotOz wrote in post #8582176 (external link)
I scan my slides (in fact I scan everything) with an 'Epson Perfection V300 Photo' scanner. Sheer magic results, and combined with Photoshop for post-processing - sheer brilliance.

Just looked at Epson Perfection V300 Photo' scanner (external link)

quote from Epson documentation:

Beautiful enlargements up to 13x19 from film

Film scan size still lower as 'prehistoric' scanning machine in lab (which was 38x45cm/300dpi)
But may be more expensive ones could do much bigger... me would like to know too what is the one of best quality and still affordable film/slide scanner these days (?)

sponsored links

3,695 views & 0 likes for this thread
Convert slides to digital
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.