Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 31 Aug 2009 (Monday) 18:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So... when are we getting 5D Mark III with 19 AF points?

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Sep 02, 2009 21:13 |  #16

Next fall...

OK, it's a guess. But it's as good as anyone else's guess...

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

sponsored links
bigcountry
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 03, 2009 21:13 |  #17

its a simple formula, you want a pro camera, pay up!

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographer (external link)
Travel the World and Photograph (external link)
Find me on Facebook (external link)

1move
330 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 03, 2009 21:22 |  #18

It be very upsetting if they cropped the FF, I wouldnt buy it does not matter on features if it is not a FF I would be very disapointed.

Canon 5D mkIII II 24-70mm f2.8L v. II II 85mm f1.2L vII II 50mm f1.4 II 100mm Macro IS f2.8L II 2 x 580 EXII

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 03, 2009 23:25 |  #19

bigcountry wrote in post #8579844 (external link)

Only thing is, other companies are now offering pro cameras at less-than-1D prices.

Nikon's D700 is, without any doubt, a pro camera. Full weather sealing, 51-point AF. 5fps (expandable to 8) at 12MP, or similar data throughput to the 1D3 (10fps at 10MP). If they released a new version - bearing in mind that it is an older camera than the 5D2 - there is little doubt it would include dual card slots (like the D300s) and video, as well as a faster shooting rate. Comparable to a 1D3, but at half the price and in a compact form factor. I would similarly expect a D700x, using the 24MP sensor of the D3x, to be much cheaper than the 1Ds3 while including similar features.

A full-frame version of Pentax's K-7 would kill the 5D2 in terms of features - the full weather sealing, 100% viewfinder and 11 selectable AF points (9 cross-type) do it alone - and would probably cost about the same...

I don't know how long Canon can ignore this trend - in the travel photography field, for example, I have already seen more and more full-time pros travelling with a pair of D700s (lighter, smaller, cheaper, same features), rather than a D3/D3x or 1D3/1Ds3.

McChook
57 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 03, 2009 23:47 |  #20

D700x comes out shortly too, just to make matters worse... Canon are already bhind, this will make matters worse.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 04, 2009 00:48 |  #21

McChook wrote in post #8580657 (external link)
D700x comes out shortly too, just to make matters worse... Canon are already bhind, this will make matters worse.

No, it'll make matters much, much better!

Nothing to motivate an entity like competition...

I don't care if Canon doesn't have the best body on the market at any particular time. Technology moves fast, and one year Canon might have the best body, while the following year Nikon does. Who knows - next year, it may be Pentax! I care more that Canon has a yawning gap in it's professional/prosumer camera lineup - the compact pro body - which every other camera company is moving towards (e.g. D700) and which happens to be the type of body (in either hi-res or action flavour) most suited to my photographic work!

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 04, 2009 22:43 |  #22

then go nikon.

i thought pro cameras had dual memory slots. crazy me!

Shadowblade wrote in post #8580542 (external link)
Only thing is, other companies are now offering pro cameras at less-than-1D prices.

Nikon's D700 is, without any doubt, a pro camera. Full weather sealing, 51-point AF. 5fps (expandable to 8) at 12MP, or similar data throughput to the 1D3 (10fps at 10MP). If they released a new version - bearing in mind that it is an older camera than the 5D2 - there is little doubt it would include dual card slots (like the D300s) and video, as well as a faster shooting rate. Comparable to a 1D3, but at half the price and in a compact form factor. I would similarly expect a D700x, using the 24MP sensor of the D3x, to be much cheaper than the 1Ds3 while including similar features.

A full-frame version of Pentax's K-7 would kill the 5D2 in terms of features - the full weather sealing, 100% viewfinder and 11 selectable AF points (9 cross-type) do it alone - and would probably cost about the same...

I don't know how long Canon can ignore this trend - in the travel photography field, for example, I have already seen more and more full-time pros travelling with a pair of D700s (lighter, smaller, cheaper, same features), rather than a D3/D3x or 1D3/1Ds3.

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographer (external link)
Travel the World and Photograph (external link)
Find me on Facebook (external link)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 04, 2009 22:52 |  #23

bigcountry wrote in post #8586574 (external link)
then go nikon.

i thought pro cameras had dual memory slots. crazy me!

So the D300s is a pro body? The Leica M8.2 isn't? Even the 1D3/1Ds3 only has one CF slot and one SD slot, not two CF slots. Dual slots is certainly a very useful thing to have, but doesn't make or break a pro body alone - it's very easy to fit into a gripped body, more difficult in a compact body.

Besides, I prefer the Canon lens lineup...

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,660 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Sep 05, 2009 00:57 as a reply to  @ Shadowblade's post |  #24

I don't care if Canon doesn't have the best body on the market at any particular time. Technology moves fast, and one year Canon might have the best body, while the following year Nikon does. Who knows - next year, it may be Pentax!

Three years ago, everyone was pronouncing Nikon's imminent demise. Canon and Nikon have been leapfrogging each other since 1971. It's not going to stop now.

But it won't be Pentax. Or Sony. As they have always done, they will inject an occasional new concept--Pentax was first with the instant-return mirror, through-the-lens metering, and multicoated lenses, but those were not "disruptive technologies." Minolta was first with autofocusing--which was a true "disruptive technology" (heck, it forced Canon to totally abandon their entire previous product line)--but Minolta failed to take advantage of the three-year lead they had over Canon and Nikon.

I do really like that position-oriented rear LCD, though. I shoot a lot of verticals.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Sep 05, 2009 05:36 |  #25

bigcountry wrote in post #8579844 (external link)

First, we need to define "Pro Camera". Since our local newspaper uses 30D's, and their photographers are professional by definition, shouldn't the 30D be considered a pro camera? Or should that title be preserved for the 'top-of-the-line' bodies from the respective manufacturers.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

zaathrus
Pole Dancin' Hamster
914 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 05, 2009 07:00 |  #26

Tom W wrote in post #8587698 (external link)
First, we need to define "Pro Camera". Since our local newspaper uses 30D's, and their photographers are professional by definition, shouldn't the 30D be considered a pro camera? Or should that title be preserved for the 'top-of-the-line' bodies from the respective manufacturers.

QFT!!!

The camera is just a tool to do a job. The better the tool, the easier it is to do a job which does not preclude someone doing just as good a job with a slightly less capable tool.

I think that too many people focus on the "gadget factor" instead of looking at the capability of the tool and whether they could use it to it's potential. Me, I know that I can't use my 5DII to it's full potential yet - but I am thankful that it makes it easier for me to take better photos than I can with a P&S!

Joined the cult of the HAMSTTR :cool:
Flickr (external link)
Our Zenfolio (external link)

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,453 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 06, 2009 13:20 |  #27

Here's what I'd like to see in the 5D MKIII:

- 21 MP with the new sensor technology. Improved high ISO noise and best in class DR.

- ISO in 1/2 or 1/3 stop increments.

- Viewfinder with 100% coverage.

- 7D improvements to video recording.

- Pop-up flash for wireless ETTL as with the 7D (something I really like on the D700).

- 45 point, customizable, pro AF with at least 19 cross type sensors. For manual selection can switch between 45 or 19.

- 8 fps without a grip.

- Improved weather sealing.

- Smaller/lighter than 5D MKII.

- Four year warranty with no increase in price.

The above would produce a camera for me that is marginally better than the current D700, so Canon may even need to go further to ensure they will have something better than any upcoming D700s (D700 MKII?, D800??).

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,660 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Sep 06, 2009 13:42 as a reply to  @ Bob_A's post |  #28

Manual focusing in Live View gives it "infinite point" focusing, not to mention absolute accuracy and 100% view of what's going onto the sensor. Better than a view camera.

No, Live View is not suitable for action, hence, the 7D.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

Qwagmire
57 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 06, 2009 14:03 |  #29

Bob_A wrote in post #8594028 (external link)
Here's what I'd like to see in the 5D MKIII:

- 21 MP with the new sensor technology. Improved high ISO noise and best in class DR.

- ISO in 1/2 or 1/3 stop increments.

- Viewfinder with 100% coverage.

- 7D improvements to video recording.

- Pop-up flash for wireless ETTL as with the 7D (something I really like on the D700).

- 45 point, customizable, pro AF with at least 19 cross type sensors. For manual selection can switch between 45 or 19.

- 8 fps without a grip.

- Improved weather sealing.

- Smaller/lighter than 5D MKII.

- Four year warranty with no increase in price.

The above would produce a camera for me that is marginally better than the current D700, so Canon may even need to go further to ensure they will have something better than any upcoming D700s (D700 MKII?, D800??).

Full Frame 7D with 24ish MP, Pro AF, and 5ish FPS. Anything else is gravy

30D, 24-70L, Tamron 28-300 VC

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 06, 2009 14:07 |  #30

I'm getting the idea from all the press on POTN that the 5DII is already history and probably not something I want to think about as a second camera? Didn't it take 3 or 4 years before they upgraded the 5D classic and now people are really pushing it back and it's only been less than a year? This is confusing.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

sponsored links

11,479 views & 0 likes for this thread
So... when are we getting 5D Mark III with 19 AF points?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.