Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Sep 2009 (Saturday) 12:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do I wait for the Mark IV?

casey487
82 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 05, 2009 12:32 |  #1

I'm really getting into my prime with photography, especially sports photography.

I've just graduated and had access to a Canon 1d Mark III throughout school. I know only have a Canon 5d Mark II, not a bad camera obviously, but not a fast sports camera.

I am kind of just looking to test the waters and see what people think about if I should wait till the Mark IV is released or buy a used Mark III. Money is some what a factor, but this is my life so it will be an investment either way. I'm just looking for your thoughts...

thanks

"I'll be happy to take your picture, you just can't look at the camera."
c-bstudios.com (external link)
c-bstudios.smugmug.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,307 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Sep 05, 2009 12:43 |  #2

casey487 wrote in post #8589150 (external link)
I'm really getting into my prime with photography, especially sports photography.

I've just graduated and had access to a Canon 1d Mark III throughout school. I know only have a Canon 5d Mark II, not a bad camera obviously, but not a fast sports camera.

I am kind of just looking to test the waters and see what people think about if I should wait till the Mark IV is released or buy a used Mark III. Money is some what a factor, but this is my life so it will be an investment either way. I'm just looking for your thoughts...

thanks

all things considered, the mark III is the best camera i've ever used. when the mark IV is released it'll be a couple grand more.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 05, 2009 14:07 |  #3

invest in glass bodies come and go, personally i like my mark 3 but can't see upgrading for a while

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

Bobby ­ Canon
54 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 05, 2009 14:22 |  #4

If you like it......get it. All this about waiting for the mk iv is time wasted. When it does put in an appearance, will you then wait for the mk v. Just bite the bullet and buy it. Then get on with enjoying it.

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 05, 2009 14:30 |  #5
bannedPermanently

I'm going through the same thing. The 1Dm3 new is around 3500, hopefully it'll drop just a little more for me to click the button to buy when the 4 comes out. Unless that four has some amazing new AF system, and a MP jump that surpasses the 5Dm2 by a landslide thennn I'll wait.

Cause...damn my 40D is nice, but I want that 10fps AF =)

casey487
THREAD ­ STARTER
82 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 05, 2009 17:56 |  #6

Bobby Canon wrote in post #8589616 (external link)
If you like it......get it. All this about waiting for the mk iv is time wasted. When it does put in an appearance, will you then wait for the mk v. Just bite the bullet and buy it. Then get on with enjoying it.

The thing is we are at a critical point in camera technology. The AF system on the MarkIII wasn't steller and I'm wary of buying once used in that regard. And I expect that the MarkIV will have video (go ahead and say it though that I already own a 5dmII with video). I mean the central question here is what will the MarkIV have that would make me wait. Obviously I know you can't answer that.

"I'll be happy to take your picture, you just can't look at the camera."
c-bstudios.com (external link)
c-bstudios.smugmug.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)

danielyamseng
Goldmember
2,048 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 05, 2009 19:09 |  #7

For me, these technology thing keep upgrading at a fast pace. Yeah some of the stuff we don't really need it but would be nice to have it. And some new stuffs are so tempting and lure us to get it and end up in the endless game of chasing technology.

Nervous
372 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 05, 2009 22:27 as a reply to  @ danielyamseng's post |  #8

Are we talking about cropped 1D or FF 1Ds? I really doubt Canon will release another 1.3x crop camera and the release of 7D is one more proof of this. I think, this line is dead.
As to 1Ds Mark IV.... Are you ready to pay 8-9K $ for a body?

7D | 5D classic | EF-S 10-22 | EF 24-105 L IS | EF 70-300 IS USM | EF 85/1.8 | EF 50/1.8 II | Sigma 24-60/2.8 | Tamron 90/2.8 | 580EXII | 2x 420EX | 055XPro + 488RC2

NeoTokyo
Goldmember
2,005 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 05, 2009 22:53 |  #9

Love my Mark III and have played with the idea of trading it for a 5DII but just cant seem to go through with it.

I have had the chance to trade just bodies several times but I still cant do it.... If I got a 5DII kit or $800 ontop of the 5DII I would be forced to do it but otherwise I just cant see doing it.

The 1DIII has been the best camera I have ever used as well (Have not tried the 1DsIII though) and even after using the 5DII I like the 1DIII better. :)

I can only hope that Canon will allow me to upgrade to the 1DIV at minimal cost as I am still having some issues, but the 1DIII is going back in this week.

PS.... Even with the VF underexposure issues due to the mirror box fix, it is still the best camera I have used.

Check out my flickr! http://www.flickr.com/​photos/crainracing/ (external link)

Adama
215 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 05, 2009 22:59 |  #10

I was in your same position last April. We're closer to the 1D III's cycle coming to an end, but the same principle applies. You're going to be waiting a long time to get your hands on one before the other established professional outlets/shooters who need them first. Get a used one 1D3 now, that's my advice, and later if you have some money to burn invest in a 1D Mark IV as your new primary body and use the 1D3 as your secondary body, because believe me you will need a second body as a sports shooter. And I somehow doubt any starting shooter will ever be in a financial position to buy two bodies brand new.

1D Mark III - 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS - 24-70mm f/2.8 L - 50mm f/1.4 - 580EX II
flickr (external link)
http://www.alexpylyshy​n.com (external link)

mikeassk
Goldmember
2,329 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 05, 2009 23:28 |  #11

Nervous wrote in post #8591503 (external link)
Are we talking about cropped 1D or FF 1Ds? I really doubt Canon will release another 1.3x crop camera and the release of 7D is one more proof of this. I think, this line is dead.
As to 1Ds Mark IV.... Are you ready to pay 8-9K $ for a body?

Ill meet you in Vegas,
bring your checking account to back up that statement.

Stuff

EOSBoy
Goldmember
1,083 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 05, 2009 23:39 |  #12

@ OP

You are investing in your abilities. The better gear you have that allows more efficiency in use to capture those shots will get you paid more (or frequently). The 5D Mark II rocks but the Mark III's accuracy will be the one to have a higher keeper ratio. If you do this for a living that is.

http://patrickengman.c​om (external link)
Instagram: brotherly_dove
Rolleiflex 3.5F Planar

Nervous
372 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 06, 2009 00:20 |  #13

mikeassk wrote in post #8591794 (external link)
Ill meet you in Vegas,
bring your checking account to back up that statement.

Yeah, right. Ok, Canon needs a model in between 5D and 1Ds (pricewise), something for 4-5K$. Making another 1.3x crop camera makes no sense. This format lacks of UWA and this is a huge issue (as for me). Much more logical would be to make something like 3D, FF in between 5DII and 1DsIV.

PS. Just imagine, Canon releases 1D Mark IV with 1.6x cropped sensor :lol:

PPS. However, if Canon will release a new UWA lense along with releasing 1DIV 1.3x..... Something like 12-26/2.8.... This would work.

7D | 5D classic | EF-S 10-22 | EF 24-105 L IS | EF 70-300 IS USM | EF 85/1.8 | EF 50/1.8 II | Sigma 24-60/2.8 | Tamron 90/2.8 | 580EXII | 2x 420EX | 055XPro + 488RC2

dolina
Goldmember
4,880 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 06, 2009 00:25 |  #14

The IV will probably still sell for $3,999. III's $3,699

Visit my Flickr (external link), Facebook (external link) & 500px (external link) and see my photos. :)

Replaces
Goldmember
1,079 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 06, 2009 00:32 |  #15

get 1D MK III.
when new body comes out... you probably won't be able to afford it. =)

"If you don't walk today, you have to run tomorrow."
Nikon, then Canon, then Nikon again. But I still love POTN over NikonCafe. :p

Nikon D90, MB-D80, Nikon D600, MB-D14, Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G, Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G VR.

sponsored links

4,246 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do I wait for the Mark IV?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.