Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Sep 2009 (Friday) 01:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Scott Kelby -The Truth About Lenses - Fixed- Length Prime Lenses Vs. Zooms

this thread is locked
rvdw98
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 06, 2009 06:48 |  #226

happy hopping wrote in post #8592604 (external link)
in the above comparison, it looks like the zoom lens is sharper.

You may want to recheck that. The prime is definitely sharper, as you would expect at 2 stops below its max. aperture compared to the zoom wide open.

anyhoo, kelby doesn't use canon professional lens, so whatever he said, can't apply to the canon professional lens. And nikon doesn't make professional lens.

Come again?

Roy

sponsored links
SOT
I make up stuff about Cameras
915 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 06, 2009 06:51 |  #227

He has part of it backwards...hence I refute most of his statements entirely.
Lenses are more important then religion.

http://img81.imageshac​k.us/img81/8646/captur​e1o.jpg (external link)

rvdw98
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 06, 2009 06:57 |  #228

ConDigital wrote in post #8592715 (external link)
Thats just utter rubbish.

Feel free to dispute my comment on a factual basis, but just calling it rubbish merely exposes a lack of analytic and conversational skills. As does echoing someone else's opinion in a debate.

Roy

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Sep 06, 2009 06:59 |  #229

bubba zanetti wrote in post #8581342 (external link)
I have the view that if you need to zoom then you hav'nt worked out what you wanted to do in the first place.

I first read this thread today. The quote above is, to me, very significant in that the versatility of a zoom allows me to choose the position from which to make an image and then frame the image the way I had envisioned. This is something that often cannot be done (at least without compromise) if a photographer is using only "prime" lenses.

For those who do not understand what I am talking about, please read our "sticky" tutorial titled Perspective Control in Images - Focal Length or Distance?. You will learn why, if you want to optimize composition, it's best to first select the position for the camera (relative to the subject matter) to control the perspective and then choose the focal length for framing.

The reason that I chose three "L" series zoom lenses when I bought my 20D is so that I would have the flexibility to frame my images as I imagined them - from the position that looked the best for the image as I imagined it.

The four "prime" lenses that I used for my Nikon F cameras just did not give me the flexibility that I pined for. However, in the mid 1960s there were no affordable high quality constant-aperture zoom lenses available. Thus I went with the series of "primes" then.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

kitacanon
Goldmember
4,706 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 06, 2009 07:31 |  #230

SkipD wrote in post #8592742 (external link)
I first read this thread today. The quote above is, to me, very significant in that the versatility of a zoom allows me to choose the position from which to make an image and then frame the image the way I had envisioned. This is something that often cannot be done (at least without compromise) if a photographer is using only "prime" lenses.

For those who do not understand what I am talking about, please read our "sticky" tutorial titled Perspective Control in Images - Focal Length or Distance?. You will learn why, if you want to optimize composition, it's best to first select the position for the camera (relative to the subject matter) to control the perspective and then choose the focal length for framing.

The reason that I chose three "L" series zoom lenses when I bought my 20D is so that I would have the flexibility to frame my images as I imagined them - from the position that looked the best for the image as I imagined it.

The four "prime" lenses that I used for my Nikon F cameras just did not give me the flexibility that I pined for. However, in the mid 1960s there were no affordable high quality constant-aperture zoom lenses available. Thus I went with the series of "primes" then.

Yeah, I've tried to make that point over and again...pointing out that 45 years ago no pro used zooms let alone AF, and few used built-in metering...

...also making the case, however, that many people lazily zoom FIRST to crop and then shoot without considering whether the position is best...rather than finding the right position FIRST and then zooming....

Hence my contention that primes FORCE a photographer to find the best position before shooting...but as you said quite well, in those cases, one often makes a compromise because the "best" position with the prime might not be so with that fixed focal length...

Ergo, my encouraging the use (on several threads) of 3 adjacent focal lenghs (18/24/35/50/85/105/13​5/200/300) in the TRINITY of lenses...I think THAT develops a better sense of how to use and take advantage of the options zooms provide....

My Canon kit 450D/s90; Canon lenses 18-55 IS, 70-210/3.5-4.5....Nikon kit: D610; 28-105/3.5-4.5, 75-300/4.5-5.6 AF, 50/1.8D Nikkors, Tamron 80-210; MF Nikkors: 50/2K, 50/1.4 AI-S, 50/1.8 SeriesE, 60/2.8 Micro Nikkor (AF locked), 85mm/1.8K-AI, 105/2.5 AIS/P.C, 135/2.8K/Q.C, 180/2.8 ED, 200/4Q/AIS, 300/4.5H-AI, ++ Tamron 70-210/3.8-4, Vivitar/Kiron 28/2, ser.1 70-210/3.5, ser.1 28-90; Vivitar/Komine and Samyang 28/2.8; 35mm Nikon F/FM/FE2, Rebel 2K...HTC RE UWA camera

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,704 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Sep 06, 2009 09:19 as a reply to  @ kitacanon's post |  #231

Kit and Skip I prefer primes. They work better for the way I shoot. I think Skip really makes a great point in the fact an experienced photographer that has spent a good deal of time with primes bring different experience and LEARNED skill sets to the table and is important when they use zooms, that someone that has only used zooms my not have learned. For me I find primes liberating and there is not just ONE right perspective or composition for any one image. Learning to see at a certain focal length can be a great gift and can be a huge help even when using a zoom. I think Skip would say being forced to use primes only for a while made him a much better photographer and even if he uses zooms now those lessons were extremely valuable.

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 06, 2009 10:56 |  #232
bannedPermanent ban

anyhoo, kelby doesn't use canon professional lens, so whatever he said, can't apply to the canon professional lens. And nikon doesn't make professional lens.

I thinked you hopped one to many times and bumped your head...:rolleyes:

Regards
Paul L.

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 06, 2009 11:01 |  #233

darrellcraig wrote in post #8581199 (external link)
Go to the audiophile forums and read about cables & interconnects for this thread on steroids. That being said, primes rule!

I've always thought the that audiophile debate hinged on whether or not the listener had above-average hearing -or- devices which would actually detect the differences. (Once proper shielding is in play)

For the rest *popcorn* is on the stove.........

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

airfrogusmc
36,704 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 06, 2009 11:04 |  #234

http://www.the-digital-picture.com …&SampleComp=0&F​LI=0&API=3 (external link)

The zoom is not as sharp at 2.8;):lol:

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 06, 2009 11:08 |  #235

http://www.the-digital-picture.com …&SampleComp=0&F​LI=0&API=3 (external link)

It clearly does not look that way.

And nikon doesn't make professional lens.

:confused:

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

S.Horton
18,051 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 06, 2009 11:10 |  #236

^^ Nikon makes some EXCELLENT pro lenses, they're just more expensive than Canon.

I wish Canon had a 200-400 f/4 IS L!

Sam - TF Says Ishmael

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 06, 2009 11:12 |  #237
bannedPermanent ban

ConDigital wrote in post #8592715 (external link)
Thats just utter rubbish.

Actually its not, i think most people in this thread agree.

Regards
Paul L.

S.Horton
18,051 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 06, 2009 11:15 |  #238

Scott Kelby has seen thousands and thousands of photos taken from all types of gear.

He's got a valid point, because most people would not notice any difference.

Yet, there is no substitute for aperture, and f/1.x primes have that -- Besides technical sharpness is overrated..........

Sam - TF Says Ishmael

airfrogusmc
36,704 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 06, 2009 11:18 |  #239

S.Horton wrote in post #8593550 (external link)
^^ Nikon makes some EXCELLENT pro lenses, they're just more expensive than Canon.

I wish Canon had a 200-400 f/4 IS L!

Not all the time

http://www.adorama.com …earchinfo=nikon​+200+f%2f2 (external link)

http://www.adorama.com …L?searchinfo=ca​non+200+2L (external link)

The 200 2L is more than the Nikon 200 2

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 06, 2009 11:20 |  #240

ConDigital wrote in post #8592396 (external link)
I think that's a bit of a put down of Scott Kelby. He is in my opinion, much more than just a photoshop guru.

But anyway, comments like yours just reinforce to me, just how spot on he really was with the excerpt that was posted from one of his published works.

OK, he has also written a bit about the technical aspects of photography; however, with statements like that, I wonder how many other wrong opinions he's wrapped up as fact.

Published? I searched "Photoshop CS4" on Amazon and 203 results came up. There are many, many ways for ambitious people to be published these days.

Christian

sponsored links

58,616 views & 0 likes for this thread
Scott Kelby -The Truth About Lenses - Fixed- Length Prime Lenses Vs. Zooms
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.