Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 25 Feb 2009 (Wednesday) 19:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tough times for all - Annie Leibovitz pawn life work for loan

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 01, 2009 00:59 |  #121

RDKirk wrote in post #8558678 (external link)
For pete's sake why?

Why would I be "up in arms" over the spending habits of someone whose personal life has no effect on me? Why would I care one way or another, except to take her situation as a caution--that genius in one area certainly does not guarantee genius in any other area, so perhaps we all need to watch our respective okoles closely.

Perhaps it's one of those that frustrates people because how can someone be so careless with so much money.

It doesn't take a genius to hire an accountant; even if it costs her a house.

Christian

sponsored links
nuffi
926 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 01, 2009 08:05 |  #122

Rainyday wrote in post #7413259 (external link)
I lost all respect for AL after the Miley Cyrus fiasco. She also badly handled the photoshoot with Queen Elizabeth (read AL's recent book about that) and methinks Annie's glory days are fading fast. Thank God. Her lifestyle was and is greedy and irresponsible and maybe this will be a wakeup call for her.

I lost all respect for AL when I saw a special that was made about her when she spent the weekend shooting Demi Moore.

She had something like 16 bodies, hired a chef for the weekend, spent about $300k in total for this shot. I concede that some of it might have been necessary to pander to the neuroses of ms. moore, but it seemed to me more about pandering to her own instead.

I watched it at uni; it was my first introduction to her work. Not long after we were made to look at a bunch of her stuff.

I am yet to see anything about it that shows me how it is she has become one of the most famous and popular photographers in history. Her work seems pretty mundane to me and boring to me. Only remarkable for the fame of the subjects rather than the any other aspect of the images.

And while she might not have as much cash now as she thought she would 2 years ago, I hardly think that she is now or ever will be strapped.

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 01, 2009 08:28 |  #123

nuffi wrote in post #8561133 (external link)
spent about $300k in total for this shot.

I told vanity fair I was a bargain at $150 K. They never listen.....:)

This space for rent.

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 01, 2009 12:12 |  #124

nuffi wrote in post #8561133 (external link)
I lost all respect for AL when I saw a special that was made about her when she spent the weekend shooting Demi Moore.

She had something like 16 bodies, hired a chef for the weekend, spent about $300k in total for this shot. I concede that some of it might have been necessary to pander to the neuroses of ms. moore, but it seemed to me more about pandering to her own instead.

I watched it at uni; it was my first introduction to her work. Not long after we were made to look at a bunch of her stuff.

I am yet to see anything about it that shows me how it is she has become one of the most famous and popular photographers in history. Her work seems pretty mundane to me and boring to me. Only remarkable for the fame of the subjects rather than the any other aspect of the images.

And while she might not have as much cash now as she thought she would 2 years ago, I hardly think that she is now or ever will be strapped.

From what I've heard, she was at the right place at the right time to start her career. Other than that, she has done a lot of famous people and controversial shoots, which leads to her popularity.

Christian

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,068 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Sep 01, 2009 12:57 |  #125

nphsbuckeye wrote in post #8559632 (external link)
Perhaps it's one of those that frustrates people because how can someone be so careless with so much money.

It doesn't take a genius to hire an accountant; even if it costs her a house.

Why should someone be frustrated by the self-destructive actions of another person thousands of miles away whose actions don't affect them at all?

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 01, 2009 12:59 |  #126

nphsbuckeye wrote in post #8562551 (external link)
From what I've heard, she was at the right place at the right time ...... she has done a lot of famous people, which leads to her popularity.

A time tested formula.....

Sorry, couldn't resist the juvenile moment.......:)

This space for rent.

RDKirk
13,068 posts
Joined May 2004

Sep 01, 2009 13:01 as a reply to  @ RDKirk's post |  #127

From what I've heard, she was at the right place at the right time to start her career. Other than that, she has done a lot of famous people and controversial shoots, which leads to her popularity.

There were a heck of alot of photographers in San Francisco at the same time. To doff her success as merely amatter of being "at the right time and the right place" is like saying it's merely because of the camera she used.

Rarely is anyone at the right place at the right time and then able to come through time after time after time without quite a bit of talent in a number of different areas...albeit, running a small business not being one of them in her case.

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 01, 2009 13:08 |  #128

RDKirk wrote in post #8562866 (external link)
There were a heck of alot of photographers in San Francisco at the same time. To doff her success as merely amatter of being "at the right time and the right place" is like saying it's merely because of the camera she used.

Rarely is anyone at the right place at the right time and then able to come through time after time after time without quite a bit of talent in a number of different areas...albeit, running a small business not being one of them in her case.

You can't argue her talent. Actually, you can't totally dismiss her business acumen either. She "sold" her talent to vanity fair for a princely sum. She may have squandered it, but hey -- this time last year, we all thought AIG was a great investment and Bernie Madoff was a magician!

This space for rent.

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 01, 2009 13:13 |  #129

RDKirk wrote in post #8562866 (external link)

I think she's plenty over-rated personally, but what Rick says above is true.

With every success story, there is luck involved. The thing that separates the highly successful and the one-hit wonders is that the highly successful continue their success by creating their own luck.

AL took advantage of situations (I don't mean this in a bad way) that were presented to her and had a huge amount of success by doing so. She has a ton of drive and isn't afraid to do things that other wouldn't dare to.

Be careful people, bemoaning others' success won't help you out in life. Any photographer should be thrilled that it is possible for a photographer to make as much money and do the things that AL has done. It means that you might be that successful someday too, if you are willing to take the steps necessary.

With all of that said, I still feel absolutely zero sympathy for AL's current situation.

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 01, 2009 21:17 |  #130

RDKirk wrote in post #8562846 (external link)
Why should someone be frustrated by the self-destructive actions of another person thousands of miles away whose actions don't affect them at all?

Which begs the question, why do you care what I say about her? Using your same logic.

mattograph wrote in post #8562855 (external link)
A time tested formula.....

Sorry, couldn't resist the juvenile moment.......:)

I knew someone would comment upon that statement. :cool:

Christian

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 03, 2009 22:17 |  #131

I am so thrilled to know that a person who is a photographer, who worked her way through the years, who can get famous people to want her to take their photograph and get paid well for it, can in this wonderful country of America become a millionaire. It's the American Dream - remember. Photography on that level is about way more than just being able to take a good photograph, lots of good photographers aren't very good with people, especially ones who have a lot of fame and often have an ego bigger than the sky.

Lawsuit or not, a huge amount of people in this country who paid respected people a lot of money to advise them on investing wisely, lost huge amounts of money, I think it was actually pretty hard for investors to avoid.

I at one point during all of this asked my investment counselor what to do and she just shook her head not knowing the answer. Fortunately I'd put everything into CD's thank God because friends of mine who are past retirement age, who have seriously and carefully worked hard all their lives, have been hurt so horribly by what has happened, it is not a case of people not taking care of their money.

But she's a photographer and she reached the top of her trade and can demand the high fees, bless her, it tells the rest of the world that photographers are worth paying for their craft. Thank you Annie, you have my respect and admiration.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

sfaust
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 03, 2009 23:06 |  #132

I find it both sad and amusing, that the big discussion in a forum on photography surrounds her inability to manage her personal funds. Who cares. I've seen it happen to many other people, executives, friends, actors, and so on.

When to me the real interest is the fact that her images are worth $22M. Image if she gave away the copyrights to her clients like I hear so many beginner photographers doing. She would have nothing for us to comment on. But she knew the value of her copyrights, and used that to amass a small fortune.

While it won't hold a candle to her works, a commercial photographer that retains all the rights to their work can easily use that to help augment their retirement fund. Granted it won't be in the millions, but could easily fetch a couple hundred grand over the years.

Rather than give away the usage, charge for it like most pros do, and put that money aside in an account and take a look at it in 10 years. I guarantee you'll be smiling at whatever the value is since it will be more than if you had given it all away!

Then if you want to squander it all away, we'll talk about you instead ;)

Stephen
Commercial Photography (external link)

RDKirk
13,068 posts
Joined May 2004

Sep 04, 2009 14:15 as a reply to  @ sfaust's post |  #133

When to me the real interest is the fact that her images are worth $22M. Image if she gave away the copyrights to her clients like I hear so many beginner photographers doing. She would have nothing for us to comment on. But she knew the value of her copyrights, and used that to amass a small fortune.

Certainly a very important point.

Register your copyrights, folks.

Citizensmith
Cream of the Crop
6,386 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2004

Sep 06, 2009 10:45 |  #134

And now she is in the news again. She is beign sued by an Italian photographer for unpaid uncredited use of some of his images for her latest calendar. Apparently the photos are easily identifiably based on puddles, clouds, and some birds, things that would move. Aside from that they had some models PS'd in.

I doubt very much she had anything to do with manufacturing the calendar, no doubt all pulled together by a design company somewhere. But when its done in her name, she should maybe try a keep a bit of an eye on the project.

My POTN Gallery, Complete gear list,
Tradition - Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

RDKirk
13,068 posts
Joined May 2004

Sep 06, 2009 13:27 |  #135

Citizensmith wrote in post #8593458 (external link)
And now she is in the news again. She is beign sued by an Italian photographer for unpaid uncredited use of some of his images for her latest calendar. Apparently the photos are easily identifiably based on puddles, clouds, and some birds, things that would move. Aside from that they had some models PS'd in.

I doubt very much she had anything to do with manufacturing the calendar, no doubt all pulled together by a design company somewhere. But when its done in her name, she should maybe try a keep a bit of an eye on the project.

In those papers, he says the 59-year-old photographer {Leibovitz}— whose shots of celebrities often grace the covers and pages of Vanity Fair magazine — had hired him to scout locales in Italy for Lavazza coffee in April 2008.

He took photographs, including ones of the famous Plaza San Marco in Venice and the Trevi Fountain in Rome, and sent the images digitally to her. He was then told later that Leibovitz would not be visiting Italy at all.

He says Leibovitz never sought his permission to use the photos for the calendar.

http://www.cbc.ca …vitz-lawsuit-italian.html (external link)

Hmm. If she hired him to do some scout shooting, I suspect their contract bears close scrutiny. There might have been some fine print that made him her temporary employee...thus she would own the copyright on the "for hire" basis.

Or... the contract didn't quite say that, and she merely presumed she owned the copyright because she paid him to shoot a job for her.

I've spoken to a lot of studio photographers who hire "second shooters" for weddings and think they own the copyrights because they arranged the bookings. In fact, almost all of them think they own the copyright. Au contraire!. In the US, unless there is specific language in the contract saying otherwise, a "second shooter" hired for the day will always own the copyright.

And yet, it's hard for me to imagine that she made such a presumption--I suspect she makes sure she owns the copyrights to the work she produces on commission.

Rather cheesy calendar anyway.
http://www.slideshare.​net …ie-leibovitz-presentation (external link)

sponsored links

18,744 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tough times for all - Annie Leibovitz pawn life work for loan
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.