Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 06 Sep 2009 (Sunday) 23:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mountain bike - Conway National forest

rcfury
916 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 06, 2009 23:16 |  #1

We I tired to take my Camera equipment with me while mountain biking. Brought my camera and tripod (strapped to my bike frame), to a very cool section of the local bike trail. This is a self portrait all done by the timer on the camera which, is much harder than it looks. Since this we kinda deep in the woods and wanted a small aperture, couldn't get anything above 20th of a sec. Sense the difference between the ambient light and the sky was well above 4 stops it was tough to expose everything. Did have to do a little Trickery on the sky to make it somewhat ok

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3474/3895517120_5179de04ca_o.jpg

~Nathan
Gear: Canon 1Dm2, 10D, Canon 17-40L, 70-200 2.8L EF-50 1.4, and the Canon 550EX flash
-----
♦ Check out my FLICKR  (external link) (external link)

rcfury
THREAD ­ STARTER
916 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 07, 2009 11:10 |  #2

Looking at the photo again... I think if I was farther down the path it would have been better.
Didn't use a GND as I thought the entire top of the trees would have been gotten too dark but, then all the trees became so blown out due to the sky anyway. Oh well.. You can only do so much when you have to press the shutter and sprint to the bike!

~Nathan
Gear: Canon 1Dm2, 10D, Canon 17-40L, 70-200 2.8L EF-50 1.4, and the Canon 550EX flash
-----

RMXSeven
310 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 07, 2009 23:23 as a reply to  @ rcfury's post |  #3

Love the concept.
Keep it up!

Apart from the use of an ND Grad filter, You're getting some motion blur in the legs, which is fair enough considering the situation you were in!

Also, it seems the ratio of tree to rider is a little too much tree.
If you got in a little closer, and a little lower (Camera wise), it might get you the effect you are after.

Hmm, quite a challenge you've set for yourself. Perhaps, grab a wireless shutter from eBay, save you the timing issues, allowing you to be closer to the camera at the time it triggers, also allows for use of flash, fixing up the slow exposure issue you mentioned.

Looks like a nice trail :)

Regards,
~Ronen

Canon 40D | EFs 10-22 | EFs 17-85 | Sigma 70-300 APO | EF 50mm Fantastic Plastic
FujiFilm X-E1 (Sexy One)

rcfury
THREAD ­ STARTER
916 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 08, 2009 00:35 |  #4

Thank you very much for the response.. Type of information i was after.

Do you think its too much tree? I just loved the look of these tall trees on each side of the path. So I was trying to get this Lone rider in the forest type of look. If i had more trail in the photograph it might have conveyed the feeling i was after.

I am very limited on what i can bring in terms of equipment as the only way to get to this part of the trail is to ride. So what i can fit in my messenger style bag is what i can bring. Granted a wireless trigger system would be good and give me more freedom.

~Nathan
-----

RMXSeven
310 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 08, 2009 01:31 |  #5

No problem at all.

Personally (Just a preference thing) I feel that having the rider fill out the frame more would be beneficial.

From the low angle, looking upwards, you can keep the feeling of the tallness of the trees (They will curve in a little also by doing this).

It's probably worth a shot.

Another cool thing to try, albeit dangerous, is to climb one of those trees, and shoot it from up high (Def need a remote trigger for that!). That would show heaps of path, give the rider a little more direction, and still maintain the tallness of the trees.

Just thinking about the original again, you might lose the "endlessness/lone rider" feeling that you portray.
Hmm how I would like to see down the path.
Having the rider not in the centre of the frame (taking a few steps to the right say and rotating ure camera a little), will show the path, and give a little more depth to the shot. Unless of course, the rest of the path is ugly or there is a yeti or something on the horizon.

Ultimately, it's your shot, so go the direction you feel is right.
Looking at your flickr thumbnail of the same image, I can see where you were headed with it a little more clearly.

Keep experimenting, and surely you will find the optimal compromise.

In the meantime, I checked out your Flickr site, but this particular photo hasn't been uploaded at max resolution. If you want, send me (or link) the original shot, in RAW if you have it, and I'll try and tweak the sky a little, just to see if we can do anything with it.

I am, of course, still a noob, so take everything I say with a pinch of salt.

~Ronen

Canon 40D | EFs 10-22 | EFs 17-85 | Sigma 70-300 APO | EF 50mm Fantastic Plastic
FujiFilm X-E1 (Sexy One)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

948 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mountain bike - Conway National forest
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.