Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Sep 2009 (Sunday) 14:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bad time to switch to 50D?

JF1980
106 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 06, 2009 14:08 |  #1

I've been considering putting my 30D up on eBay and getting myself a 50D but wonder whether it's a bad time? I know the 7D is out or will be shortly which should see a few decent 50D's on eBay, however I've read that a 60D will probably be out early 2010 which I would expect to cause new and used 50D prices to drop off considerably.

At the moment it's looking like the 30D is worth about £230 and a 50D will cost me around £650 so the upgrade will cost ~£400.

Am I right in assuming the price of a used 50D will drop off considerably in 3-4 months?

Canon EOS 50D, Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro (RIP), Canon 100 EF Macro, Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro, Canon 430EX.

sponsored links
Dan-o
Goldmember
3,538 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 06, 2009 14:14 |  #2

Cameras are not investments and if you keep waiting for the latest and greatest you will never have anything. Just get what you want and stop worrying about what is coming.

Danny.
DMunsonPhoto (external link)
Cycling Illustrated (external link)
FaceBook Page (external link)

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 06, 2009 14:29 as a reply to  @ Dan-o's post |  #3

If the price of the 50D drops, it logically follows that the price of your current 30D would drop proportionally - putting you right back in the same boat.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

Scott_Quier
888 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 06, 2009 14:52 |  #4

When considering to upgrade equipment it's best to think about the reasons for the upgrade. For example, what photographic need do you have that is not being met by the 30D and will by by the 50D. If there is no objective, rational photographic need to be satisfied by the upgrade, then you're dealing with upgrade lust - which I completely understand being a constant victim myself.

But, getting to the financial things - as and when the 60D comes out, yes the 50D will drop in price. But, as has already been stated, so will the perceived value of your 30D. Will the respective prices slide by the same amount? Probably not; I suspect the 50D will loose a greater percentage of it's current market value than will the 30D as the 30D has already been on the used market for some time.

The current wisdom is for one to buy what they need/want when they need/want it and not worry to/so much about what the market price of said item will be in the distant future .... remembering that 4 - 6 months is a long time in the life of a dSLR body.

Scott
Operation: Love Reunited (external link)
Check out my blog (external link) Gear List

Azzure_7
Goldmember
1,102 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 06, 2009 16:10 as a reply to  @ Scott_Quier's post |  #5

just sold my 30d. YAY!

flickr (external link)

dkim3202
215 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 06, 2009 16:50 as a reply to  @ Azzure_7's post |  #6

If you can afford the 7D and can use video, then wait. Otherwise the 50D will fit your needs perfectly. My ex-roomie was looking for a new body so I sent him the specs on the 7D. When he found out the price he turned his attention to either a 50D or 40D.

Canon EOS 5DMkII, 50 f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX HSM, Manfrotto 190CXPro3 with 488RC2 Ball Head. Wife: Canon EOS 50D, EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,212 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 06, 2009 16:54 |  #7

Scott_Quier wrote in post #8594359 (external link)
When considering to upgrade equipment it's best to think about the reasons for the upgrade. For example, what photographic need do you have that is not being met by the 30D and will by by the 50D. If there is no objective, rational photographic need to be satisfied by the upgrade, then you're dealing with upgrade lust - which I completely understand being a constant victim myself.

But, getting to the financial things - as and when the 60D comes out, yes the 50D will drop in price. But, as has already been stated, so will the perceived value of your 30D. Will the respective prices slide by the same amount? Probably not; I suspect the 50D will loose a greater percentage of it's current market value than will the 30D as the 30D has already been on the used market for some time.

The current wisdom is for one to buy what they need/want when they need/want it and not worry to/so much about what the market price of said item will be in the distant future .... remembering that 4 - 6 months is a long time in the life of a dSLR body.

Exactly correct here..

I'd seriously consider the 7D however, Depending on what you do, the 7D could be a much bigger upgrade than the 50D...

Not that the 50D isnt great, I wanted one until the 7D came out, but thats only because 7D is a much larger upgrade for most of my shooting [High FPS stuff mainly :) Or rather, the stuff i find lacking in my 30D is mainly the high speed stuff..Oh and i want a bigger viewfinder...]

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

canon_shots
149 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 06, 2009 23:34 as a reply to  @ KenjiS's post |  #8

If the 7D is affordable to you, and it has features you really want, wait for it. It does look SWEET (that viewfinder and AF...wow). I don't know if I see the 50D as that big an upgrade from your 30. Does the 50 have a feature you need that your 30 doesn't have?

Would having 2 bodies be a benefit to you (as in covering more FL without changing lenses, or having a backup body)? If there's not a must-have feature on the 7D (for you), you could probably pick up a 50D and keep your 30D and not spend any more than selling the 30D for the 7D.

Just some thoughts.

EOS 7D, 50D
Sigma 30 1.4, Tamron 17-50 2.8, 85 1.8, 70-200 f4L, 2 550EX, 580EXII.
My Flickr (external link)

bbss
322 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 07, 2009 00:56 |  #9

I'm selling my 50d tomorrow, if I follow the plan. I got it one week ago, and have made about 100$. I'll be getting a a t1i tomorrow that will earn me another 150$. + a two year warranty.

So it is mostly a question of what is the best deal for me.

7d or 5d2, next year, they are to hot for the moment.

alessandro2009
Goldmember
2,095 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 07, 2009 02:46 |  #10

Scott_Quier wrote in post #8594359 (external link)
When considering to upgrade equipment it's best to think about the reasons for the upgrade.

I think the same.

Also perhaps is better buy a Canon 70-200 f/4 (without IS) rather then buy a new camera for an upgrade if you haven't clear idea of function that you really want.

For example in bhphotovideo now there is an used that cost $489.

Note:
I don't known the UK cost for buy product on Usa, in Italy a part the shipping cost is necessary add 25-30 % for taxes, etc..

Rocketdun
295 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 07, 2009 03:36 |  #11

If you worry about the camera bodies, there is no way you can keep up unless you are at the end of the assembly line, much like computers. If you have a need to upgrade because a newer body fits your needs go for it. If you are concerned about value and cost invest in glass. Example the 70-200 2.7 IS is $1,649 US a few months ago, excluding rebates, and from most legitimate sellers it's $1,649 today. The 7D represents Canon's leap, it's reported build, sensors and image handling raise the bar for cameras that not only offer high image quality, but true 1080P video out put, the 100% view finder is a great addition also. So if you wait until you will still be sitting and waiting on the price to come down on the model you wanted and never upgrade your camera body to the next level. You can find yourself in the "ifs and buts" syndrome, "If ifs and buts here honey and nuts we would all be rich at Christmas"

A great photo only starts with the shutter release,
1DS Mark ii,7D , 40D, 24 mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 50 mm 1.4, 28-138, 18-200, 70-200 2.8, 100-400 4.5-5.6 , 580 EXII,
My stuff: http://deseventphotos.​zenfolio.com (external link)

JF1980
THREAD ­ STARTER
106 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 07, 2009 04:47 |  #12

Wow this seems to have gotten a little off-track.

The 7D is way too expensive for me and won't even be a consideration, I've haven't been working for 8 months so need to watch the pennies. I only mentioned it because I know some people will be itching to sell their 50D and buy the 7D. I could consider a 5Dmk1 which seem to be going for about the same price as the 50D but I don't think I need full frame (I use me camera for all sorts of photography but really like Macro).

Reason for upgrading from the 30D? I really don't like the AF on the 30D and am rarely happy with the sharpness of AF photos. I personally think my old 350D took more pleasing photos than the 30D. A few more MP also won't hurt.

Canon EOS 50D, Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro (RIP), Canon 100 EF Macro, Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro, Canon 430EX.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,314 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 07, 2009 08:07 as a reply to  @ JF1980's post |  #13

the 7d makes the 50d a bad bad decision,,based only on iso performance. i compared the 50d to my 40d,,,shocked when i saw 1600 on the 50d...my 40d was cleaner,,,and i dont like 1600 on the 40d. the 7d changes the game entirely. not only will 1600 be useful and for the first time on a 1.6 crop,,CLEAN,, 3200 looks to be pretty dam usable.

the question you have to ask yourself is why deck out 1100.00 for a 50d with less than desirable high iso performance, when for 500.00 additional..you get a camera thats on par with the 5dmk11 in terms of iso performance plus a better focal point system. the 7d changes everything for the crop body user. 50d prices will fall off the chart. and ill keep the 40d as a back up,,,its awesome for anything under 800 iso. for a wedding shooter,,,its a no brainer. i would be very interested om tims take, as well as suzy's and a few other wedding shooters..........i think the 7d is a game changer for those of us the work the wedding industry

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Fastfwd13
491 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 07, 2009 08:10 |  #14

Bad time to get a new 50D? No. It still fills a gap if your budget can't reach to the 7D or the 5D.

Bad time to get a used 50D? Probably. The used market may need some time to adjust the prices down with the newly arrived 7D.

Raymate
Goldmember
1,689 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 07, 2009 08:14 |  #15

Not a bad time... I did this a few weeks back and now I'm enjoying what the 50D can offer. In my mind I purchased the camera I did get a deal so I didnt pay full price, so that makes it OK.

Yes you can wait for the next thing but once you get the next thing within a few months it will be old and the next thing will be on it ways.

Buy it and enjoy it.

Canon: EOS 5DmkII • 50D • 40D • 350D • 100 f2.8L IS Macro • 70-200 f4L • 24-105 f4L IS • 17-40 f4L • 50 f1.4 • 60 f2.8 Macro • 85 f1.8 • 430EX • 580EX II • ST-E2
Sigma: 10-20 f4-5.6 EX DC HSM • 30 f1.4 EX DC HSM • 17-50 f2.8 EX • 24-70 f2.8 EX DG MACRO
Apple: CS3, Aperture & iPhoto. Various Manfrotto, Portaflash, Battery Grips, SanDisk & Lowepro

alamy: my stock photography (external link)

sponsored links

6,482 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bad time to switch to 50D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.