Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Sep 2009 (Sunday) 16:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Out for a date with the gf... Which prime on an ff?

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,732 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 07, 2009 23:35 |  #46

Marloon wrote in post #8601131 (external link)
:mad: THANKS. A. LOT. ALAN.

sigh... its time to move from these zooms to primes. the only zoom ill be keeping will be the 70-200 as its the perfect lens for portraiture for me aside from the 85L that i plan on getting in the next few years.

so you've tried the sigma? and you returned it because it had issues? hmm.. DANG IT! i want a perfect 50! it's the perfect focal length for me.. not too wide... not to tight either.

DANG IT! DANG IT! DANG IT!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

vmad

Marlon,

Dont move from the zooms. Zooms are wonderful as long as you know the limitations when lack of light becomes your enemy. When you get your 24-70L you'll see how incredible the 5dmkII becomes alive with dreamy bokeh.

Go and buy your Sigma 50mm but be warned it'll be about a good month before you see it back "if" you send it out for calibration. Not sure how the lottery goes but you can try several copies to get a perfect one.

The Canon 50 f/1.4 is "good" for bokeh. I still think it has pleasing bokeh for the price. Just remember that people on the POTN are more critical in bokeh quality compared to people "unfamiliar" with photography skills and terminology. Buy a Canon 50 f/1.4 so you'll have a solid AF performer. Later if your not satisfied buy a 50L (roll the dice for no focus shift) or a sigma 50mm without back/front focus issues.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

sponsored links
wickerprints
"Shooting blanks"
864 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 07, 2009 23:43 |  #47

I would choose the MP-E 65mm, so I could get photos of the individual pores and eyelashes. :D

5DmkII :: EF 24-105/4L IS :: EF 85/1.8 :: EF 70-200/2.8L IS :: EF 100/2.8L IS macro (coming soon!)

Marloon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,323 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 08, 2009 01:08 |  #48

AlanU wrote in post #8603035 (external link)
Marlon,

Dont move from the zooms. Zooms are wonderful as long as you know the limitations when lack of light becomes your enemy. When you get your 24-70L you'll see how incredible the 5dmkII becomes alive with dreamy bokeh.

Go and buy your Sigma 50mm but be warned it'll be about a good month before you see it back "if" you send it out for calibration. Not sure how the lottery goes but you can try several copies to get a perfect one.

The Canon 50 f/1.4 is "good" for bokeh. I still think it has pleasing bokeh for the price. Just remember that people on the POTN are more critical in bokeh quality compared to people "unfamiliar" with photography skills and terminology. Buy a Canon 50 f/1.4 so you'll have a solid AF performer. Later if your not satisfied buy a 50L (roll the dice for no focus shift) or a sigma 50mm without back/front focus issues.

okay then... i guess this is the answer. i sent you a pm regarding the 35L and if it was a good idea to skip the 24-70 for the 35l. pat (x2x3x4x5x) sold his 24-70 for a 35L. but it seems that in your POV... the 24-70 is a good idea.

after this, ill run after those L primes. another potn user, (a friend of mine here in bc that i met in broadway camera) has a 85L and was considering buying a 35L, but he said that he'd just wait for the 35L II. What are the shortcomings of the 35L?

I'm MARLON

Former Canon Platinum CPS member

5DII • 24L • 35L • 50L • 85L • 135L • 200LIS

Wordpress Blog (external link)Youtube Channel (external link)Twitter (external link)Gear List (external link)

focus.pocus
Goldmember
3,423 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 08, 2009 01:55 |  #49

mine would kill me if I brought "that da** camera" on a date...

I know, right? I'm just sayin'...

KCY
Unlocked the hidden 117 point AF
7,170 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 08, 2009 02:50 |  #50

focus.pocus wrote in post #8603499 (external link)
mine would kill me if I brought "that da** camera" on a date...

Just say you want to capture these moments that you can cherish for the rest of your life, with someone who has made you happy like you've never been before ;)

KC - The Circle of PoTN - Member of the UCPC
My Gear|My Smugmug (external link)|Pong

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 08, 2009 08:26 |  #51
bannedPermanently

Ainoko wrote in post #8595077 (external link)
If you're going out on a date, you should try to impress her by bringing the biggest prime you can. The 1200mm is obviously out of the question, and I think the 600mm is actually bigger than the 800mm.

Therefore your answer would be 600mm. The 600mm prime would be your best option.

hha awesome advice. This guy has been on a lot of dates! lol I guess my 16-35 is out of the question =(

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 08, 2009 08:40 |  #52

I'll bring a Ferrari.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

Marloon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,323 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 08, 2009 08:47 |  #53

maverick678 wrote in post #8604468 (external link)
I'll bring a Ferrari.

only if i can i still bring my camera?

I'm MARLON

Wordpress Blog (external link)Youtube Channel (external link)Twitter (external link)Gear List (external link)

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 08, 2009 09:13 |  #54

:D...if you bring a Ferrari..she won't care about your camera

Marloon wrote in post #8604497 (external link)
only if i can i still bring my camera?

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

Marloon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,323 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 13, 2009 00:46 |  #55

So I bought a 35l. And you guys are definitely right!!!! 24 or 35. Both are perfect for social gatherings. I really like the 1.4 on the 35mm. It's a really sharp lens. No wonder it's part of the holy trinity.

I'm MARLON

Brett
Goldmember
4,176 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 13, 2009 00:57 |  #56

Marloon wrote in post #8634559 (external link)
So I bought a 35l. And you guys are definitely right!!!! 24 or 35. Both are perfect for social gatherings. I really like the 1.4 on the 35mm. It's a really sharp lens. No wonder it's part of the holy trinity.

Just read this thread, and aside from all the relationship advice, I was thinking Sigmalux or 35L. The Sigma's a huge gamble AF-wise. The 35L is a gem. I've shot one, and if it was a FL that I'd have more use for, I'd certainly own it.

Congrats. :)

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

4,434 views & 0 likes for this thread
Out for a date with the gf... Which prime on an ff?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.