Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 08 Sep 2009 (Tuesday) 14:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Counrty roads

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 08, 2009 14:57 |  #1

I have recieved many comments from various people on this image and I always wondered what other photographers with more skilled eyes would say about it.
This is a photo from when I first started shooting and still had my rebel. All C&C is very welcome.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

A lot of people asked if I set this shot up The answer is no this truck just happened to be passing by. A few moments later this car came by.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Really made me feel like I was there in the old days.
Thanks for viewing
Kirk

I never, Not once claimed to read your post...

sponsored links
Jaewhy
516 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 08, 2009 19:20 |  #2

just my $.02, but try sepia or b&w. would probably add more of the vintage look you're going for

BLOG (external link) * MAIN (external link) * FLICKr (external link)

RMXSeven
310 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 09, 2009 07:57 |  #3

I think I took a shot at the very same barn.... but a totally different thing came down the road!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

Canon 40D | EFs 10-22 | EFs 17-85 | Sigma 70-300 APO | EF 50mm Fantastic Plastic
FujiFilm X-E1 (Sexy One)

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,302 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Sep 09, 2009 10:00 |  #4

The harsh mid-day sun was not your friend in these shots. It created highlights and shadows that were beyond the dynamic range of your camera's sensor. The near-vertical shadows on the roof planks on the side of the building are a serious distraction.

I realize that you were hoping that the vintage automobiles and old barn would contribute to the feel of a vintage time. However, the old barn would not have been old when the car was young. So there's a temporal conflict here. More tellingly, I think that the size difference was too great. The barn is so big that you couldn't get it all in the shot. On the other hand, if you did get it all in, the vehicles would have been tiny. It's a no-win situation. Lastly, what is that weird structure above the roof on the top right side? Clone it out.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

buurin
747 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 09, 2009 15:31 |  #5

I like #1 the best. The red truck looks like it belongs on a farm. I do with the whole barn was in the composition.

I disagree about the shadows being a 'huge' distraction. I'd rahter better light, but it doesnt kill the shot like the crop of the barn.

As for the time (old barn wouldn't be old when...), that doesn't bother me. I get it.

B
30D ● 5D ● Canon 24-70/2.8L
Canon 17-40/4.0L Canon 50/1.4 ● Canon 100mm/2.8 Macro ● 2xVivitar 285HVs ● 430EX ● Cybersync Flash Triggers ● AB800 ● AB400 ● Vagabond II

RMXSeven
310 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 09, 2009 16:32 |  #6

Well, on a more serious note, I think you could get a really sweet shot out of this. It seems to have heaps of potential, as a few of the others have mentioned, I too believe that the sun has not done you any favours. If you want to get the whole barn in, perhaps a slight re-position closer to the road with a shorter lens may assist you with this.
As for the chrono-inference implied that the when the car was new, so was the barn, It does not have to strike true. I'm pretty sure they had barns that were old back in ~1950. I do agree that Joels point is valid, in the sense that it does lead the viewer to question the discrpancy, BUT, I think you would be able to cloak that using a few tweaks in PP.

Do let us know if you decide to reshoot (it would be great if you are lucky like last time with the vintage coming down the street, or GodZilla for that matter!) I would love to see the results.

Of course, these are just my opinions and the best shots IMHO is the ones that YOU like!

Sorry about the essay!

~Ronen

Canon 40D | EFs 10-22 | EFs 17-85 | Sigma 70-300 APO | EF 50mm Fantastic Plastic
FujiFilm X-E1 (Sexy One)

midnight_rider
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 09, 2009 16:48 |  #7

joedlh wrote in post #8611605 (external link)
The harsh mid-day sun was not your friend in these shots. It created highlights and shadows that were beyond the dynamic range of your camera's sensor. The near-vertical shadows on the roof planks on the side of the building are a serious distraction.

I realize that you were hoping that the vintage automobiles and old barn would contribute to the feel of a vintage time. However, the old barn would not have been old when the car was young. So there's a temporal conflict here. More tellingly, I think that the size difference was too great. The barn is so big that you couldn't get it all in the shot. On the other hand, if you did get it all in, the vehicles would have been tiny. It's a no-win situation. Lastly, what is that weird structure above the roof on the top right side? Clone it out.

Thanks for the comments.
I have, since shooting this , learned more about shooting and the quality of shots that you can get in good light vs mid day light.
A far as the size thing goes, once you get the entire barn in the shot I do feel like the cars would be to small.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Once you get the same angle I had before you would want the silos in the frame as well. Cutting them out would become distracting,
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Pretty soon the car would become a complete after thought.
I believe that the structure on the roof is a catwalk or something that allows you to access a pipe from the loft. I am not certian though.

midnight_rider
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 09, 2009 16:49 |  #8

Jaewhy wrote in post #8608006 (external link)
just my $.02, but try sepia or b&w. would probably add more of the vintage look you're going for

Once I get some time this evening I am going to try a sepia rendition of the shots. Thanks for the suggestion.

midnight_rider
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 09, 2009 16:51 |  #9

RMXSeven wrote in post #8610898 (external link)
I think I took a shot at the very same barn.... but a totally different thing came down the road!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

LMAO
I knew I went out there on the wrong day. Everyone told me " Kirk there is a huge plush Godzilla running down the road by the old barn" Did I listen, NO.

midnight_rider
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 09, 2009 16:53 |  #10

joedlh wrote in post #8611605 (external link)

Oh and I forgot to mention that around here you never know how long a barn has been standing. This is Ga and we had barns long before we had cars down here. Dont worry I do not blame you since you are from NY and all. ;)

midnight_rider
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 09, 2009 17:00 |  #11

buurin wrote in post #8613738 (external link)
I like #1 the best. The red truck looks like it belongs on a farm. I do with the whole barn was in the composition.

I disagree about the shadows being a 'huge' distraction. I'd rahter better light, but it doesnt kill the shot like the crop of the barn.

As for the time (old barn wouldn't be old when...), that doesn't bother me. I get it.

Thanks for the comments. Once the proper season comes around I will be back at the barn to get some new shots of it. For the time being the sun is rising and setting in odd places for good lighting on this side of the barn. Mid Winter may be a good time for e to revisit here. I will have to wait and see.

The main reason for the composition in this shot was to line the Newer truck up with this older one.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

I really can not wait to get some good lighting on this old truck. I am hoping to do a HDR shot. I feel like the weathering on the truck and the building will make a good shot

midnight_rider
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 09, 2009 17:04 |  #12

RMXSeven wrote in post #8614066 (external link)
Well, on a more serious note, I think you could get a really sweet shot out of this. It seems to have heaps of potential, as a few of the others have mentioned, I too believe that the sun has not done you any favours. If you want to get the whole barn in, perhaps a slight re-position closer to the road with a shorter lens may assist you with this.
As for the chrono-inference implied that the when the car was new, so was the barn, It does not have to strike true. I'm pretty sure they had barns that were old back in ~1950. I do agree that Joels point is valid, in the sense that it does lead the viewer to question the discrpancy, BUT, I think you would be able to cloak that using a few tweaks in PP.

Do let us know if you decide to reshoot (it would be great if you are lucky like last time with the vintage coming down the street, or GodZilla for that matter!) I would love to see the results.

Of course, these are just my opinions and the best shots IMHO is the ones that YOU like!

Sorry about the essay!

~Ronen

I shot these when I first started shooting. I have been watching the barn off and on all this year to see what the seasons will do for the lighting on it. I think Winter will be a good season. I will definitely update the photos. If not on here they will be on my site.
HERE (external link)

RMXSeven
310 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 09, 2009 18:12 |  #13

midnight_rider wrote in post #8614220 (external link)

The main reason for the composition in this shot was to line the Newer truck up with this older one.
IMAGE NOT FOUND
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

I really can not wait to get some good lighting on this old truck. I am hoping to do a HDR shot. I feel like the weathering on the truck and the building will make a good shot

That shot is Pro. Makes me want to say, Peek-a-boo!
Sounds like you have resolve on what to do next. Hopefully the lighting situation comes sooner rather than later for you, and we will get to see those awesome shots!

~Ronen

FujiFilm X-E1 (Sexy One)

sponsored links

1,153 views & 0 likes for this thread
Counrty roads
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.