Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Sep 2009 (Wednesday) 07:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sports: any reason to opt for 5D Mk II over 40D?

I'm ­ Ron ­ Burgundy?
54 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 09, 2009 07:27 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Is there any reason to opt for the 5D Mark II over the speed of the 40D (or 50D)? I'm not concerned about reach as I can just but a 1.4x to use with the lens on a 5D Mk II. I realize it is 3.9fps vs 6.5fps but surely the 5D MkII must have something that it does better than the 40D or 50D when shooting sports. Does anyone own both and have some comparative info?

Gear: My flute and many leatherbound books
(Space Reserved: Camera coming soon)

sponsored links
bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 09, 2009 07:29 |  #2

Not really, for sports. If you need the 6.5 fps then, I assume, 3.9 won't even get you the shot with the 5DII.

The difference between 3.9 and 6.5 is huge, in my experience.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

griptape
Goldmember
2,037 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 09, 2009 07:31 |  #3

The 5DII isn't aimed towards sports shooters. Just because it's a more expensive body doesn't mean it will be better in every situation.

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 09, 2009 07:34 as a reply to  @ griptape's post |  #4

well, the 5Dii has a great center AF point (better than a 40D/50D) and with the slower FPS you'll get a better keeper rate. It's got much cleaner high ISOs, so jacking them up to get shutter speeds isn't an issue. It's also got a cool 30fps mode if/when you need/want it. ;)

The 5Dii isn't a camera that CAN'T shoot sports, but the 40D/50D would probably be better. But why not a 7D? Seems tailor made for this situation and if you're considering a 5Dii you can afford a 7D no?

Also, what sports?

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

xhack
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 09, 2009 07:36 |  #5

^ This ^

Even my 5D Classic (3fps) v 20D (5fps) = Epic Fail

~ Wallace
Gear List

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 09, 2009 07:37 |  #6

I personally would rather have a 5DMkII for sports than a 40D. The high ISO capabilities take the cake, and the AF system is more than capable. Adam Lewis on here loved the 5DMkII for sports.

FPS is very over-rated for sports.

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

I'm ­ Ron ­ Burgundy?
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 09, 2009 07:41 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

jacobsen1 wrote in post #8610803 (external link)
well, the 5Dii has a great center AF point (better than a 40D/50D) and with the slower FPS you'll get a better keeper rate. It's got much cleaner high ISOs, so jacking them up to get shutter speeds isn't an issue. It's also got a cool 30fps mode if/when you need/want it. ;)

The 5Dii isn't a camera that CAN'T shoot sports, but the 40D/50D would probably be better. But why not a 7D? Seems tailor made for this situation and if you're considering a 5Dii you can afford a 7D no?

Also, what sports?

My thought was the 5d mkII's ISO would allow me to get better evening shots or use an even higher shutter speed. I also thought it would have a far better crop ability. On the other hand, if I have to use the center point for most accurate focus, wouldn't this give me less keepers if cropping off center?

Sports are HS football, soccer, indoor dance competition, etc. Also a lot of indoor band (JH and HS) stuff.

How about weather sealing? We get light rain on occassion during games. Does the 5D improve over the 40D or 50D in this area? I can use one of the plastic covers but some moisture is inevitable.

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 09, 2009 07:49 |  #8

I don't think that fps is critical to any of those things you have mentioned.

If you are shooting things like roller bladers going off ramps and you have to prefocus otherwise you won't get anything, then 6.5 works well and 3.9 doesn't work at all.

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

I'm ­ Ron ­ Burgundy?
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 09, 2009 07:55 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

The only sports will be football, soccer, dance, basketball, swimming. Nothing fast like racing, etc.

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 09, 2009 07:59 |  #10

A lot of this depends on you, how well you can anticipate a shot. I have no problems with my anemically slow 5D and had a 40D before (for those roller bladers).

He did 3 leaps in a row running accross the stage and I nailed all of them. Single Shot, AI Servo.

IMAGE: http://www.bwkphotography.com/photos/624903459_YCwh2-L.jpg

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 09, 2009 08:22 |  #11
bannedPermanently

jacobsen1 wrote in post #8610803 (external link)

Also, what sports?

+1 =)

jwkramer
959 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2003

Sep 09, 2009 08:32 |  #12

The lens is just as important (or more so) than the body. If you have a really nice piece of 'L' glass with a 2.8 max aperture you are going to utilize the AF points to their fullest, and get many more keepers regardless of the body. You can strap a slower lens on a 1D Mark III and rip off 8+ fps, and you are going to find many of them aren't tack sharp. When I had my 1D MkII, and borrowed a 400 f2.8 from a friend I found the # of keepers went up dramatically. My 100-400 zoom really wasn't up to the task of servo tracking like the 400 2.8 was. Of course the 400 2.8 was way out of my budget range!

-Jim

-Jim
Please Visit My Website! (external link)
I'm no Einstein, but I do own 3 of them...

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 09, 2009 08:34 |  #13

It depends what sports you are shooting, to be honest.

Some sports you need one shot, others, you'll need a burst.

Football and tennis are two very different sports when it comes to shooting. Same goes for snowboarding and soccer. Just way different.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 09, 2009 08:49 |  #14

The shutter lag just isn't fast enough for me. I shoot some dance from time to time, and the shutter lag of a 400D (same as 5D2) and a 40D is very different.

Zexun | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) |

BugEyes
577 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 09, 2009 09:27 |  #15

After I tried my 5D mkII on an ice hockey game I have stuck to it in place of the 40D I used before.
The image quality makes up for the slower framerate and I come home with more keepers.

Kameras, lenses and other stuff
http://www.sorkin.se (external link)

sponsored links

2,119 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sports: any reason to opt for 5D Mk II over 40D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.