Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 25 Feb 2009 (Wednesday) 19:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tough times for all - Annie Leibovitz pawn life work for loan

Citizensmith
Cream of the Crop
6,386 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2004

Sep 06, 2009 19:51 |  #136

RDKirk wrote in post #8594052 (external link)
http://www.cbc.ca …vitz-lawsuit-italian.html (external link)

Hmm. If she hired him to do some scout shooting, I suspect their contract bears close scrutiny. There might have been some fine print that made him her temporary employee...thus she would own the copyright on the "for hire" basis.

Or... the contract didn't quite say that, and she merely presumed she owned the copyright because she paid him to shoot a job for her.

I've spoken to a lot of studio photographers who hire "second shooters" for weddings and think they own the copyrights because they arranged the bookings. In fact, almost all of them think they own the copyright. Au contraire!. In the US, unless there is specific language in the contract saying otherwise, a "second shooter" hired for the day will always own the copyright.

And yet, it's hard for me to imagine that she made such a presumption--I suspect she makes sure she owns the copyrights to the work she produces on commission.

Rather cheesy calendar anyway.
http://www.slideshare.​net …ie-leibovitz-presentation (external link)

The news article I read said the photographer had sent the photos to her and they had been rejected. The reason for their submission wasn't mentioned. He may have been trying to drum up work, or he may have been working with her and was submitting his part? One of those stories that probably has more to it than is noted in the news articles. More notable just because it features AL and losing even more money.

My POTN Gallery, Complete gear list,
Tradition - Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

sponsored links
Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 06, 2009 21:22 |  #137

Reading the news today, it really made her sound like someone who might not be real scrupulous, she does owe money to a lot of people and from the way it was written, she's a bit of a loose Canon as a friend of mine used to say. That said, it's still neat a photographer can get the kind of fees she does for her work.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
THREAD ­ STARTER
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,155 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 07, 2009 07:59 as a reply to  @ Jannie's post |  #138

It's one thing to make mistakes in one's life and mismanage things. It's another thing altogether to be unethical and rip off other photographers and if true, it would put Annie in a whole, new light.

Website (external link) |

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 07, 2009 08:13 |  #139

Something just doesn't add up here.

I think she may be sick.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

Kendoway
Cropped and Creamed
3,793 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 07, 2009 08:52 |  #140

New story with updates:

http://www.huffingtonp​ost.com …nnie-leibov_n_278275.html (external link)

☼ Christian D.
"Ask someone who’s running out of a burning home what they’ll grab. Nine times out of 10, it’s the photo album".
- Scott Bourne
Website (external link)
| FaceBook (external link)

jackies35
796 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 08, 2009 11:11 |  #141

Annie Leibovitz being sued? Please, no!!

Annie Leibovitz risks losing copyright to images??

This is just in!
http://entertainment.m​sn.com …spx?news=430034​>1=28101 (external link)

Just a Christian passing by Event Photography.......
www.pictureme2.com (external link) & www.twitter.com/pictur​eme2 (external link)

Nikon D7000 18-105 mm f3.5/50 mm f/1.4
Rebel XT
/50mm f1.4/Sigma 17-70mm f2.8

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 08, 2009 11:16 as a reply to  @ jackies35's post |  #142

not sued, but repaying a mountain of debt that she got herself in. this is old news.

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 08, 2009 11:28 as a reply to  @ jackies35's post |  #143

If you live WAY beyond your means then you have to pay the piper eventually.

OK her choice of lifestyle created some tax problems for her but for some reason I find it hard to feel sorry for her - anyone that has the means to secure a $24M loan shouldn't miss loosing copyright in her images - hell I'd give up my copyright for that amount :D

saturnin
Goldmember
1,987 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 08, 2009 11:35 as a reply to  @ jackies35's post |  #144
bannedPermanent ban

she was bad with her money... thats that.....

http://www.saturninflo​yd.tumblr.com (external link) samples
http://www.asphaltjunk​iez.com (external link) - award winning filmmaker - 3 documentaries done, more to go. I'm not wasting this 1 life.
Gear is gear, gotta do wif what you got! This forum makes me bite my tongue like no other forum i've ever been on :)

Naturally ­ Aspirated
364 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 08, 2009 11:51 as a reply to  @ jackies35's post |  #145

did she really need 3 townhomes AND new york property?!? yea i dont feel sorry for her one bit...

Jonathan
Canon 6d
Canon G15

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 08, 2009 13:41 as a reply to  @ Naturally Aspirated's post |  #146

Sell two of the three townhomes. Problem solved.... ;)

Ditto others...Don't feel sorry for her in the least.

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 08, 2009 16:49 |  #147

egordon99 wrote in post #8606142 (external link)
Sell two of the three townhomes. Problem solved.... ;)

If she were that good with her money, she wouldn't be in this predicament in the first place.

Christian

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
THREAD ­ STARTER
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,155 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 09, 2009 07:00 |  #148

Nightstalker wrote in post #8605410 (external link)
If you live WAY beyond your means then you have to pay the piper eventually.

Unless, of course, you're the U.S. government in which case you simply print more money! ;)

Website (external link) |

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,696 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 09, 2009 09:47 |  #149

hawkeye60 wrote in post #7411134 (external link)
I can assure everyone that her definition of broke is significantly different than yours or mine.

I don't think she's broke, by any means. Broke means you have nothing - no cash, no assets. It sounds to me like she has plenty of assets - in fact, it's her overabundance of assets that has led to a shortage of cash. She is not broke; she is rich.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Citizensmith
Cream of the Crop
6,386 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2004

Sep 09, 2009 11:04 |  #150

Tom Reichner wrote in post #8611514 (external link)
I don't think she's broke, by any means. Broke means you have nothing - no cash, no assets. It sounds to me like she has plenty of assets - in fact, it's her overabundance of assets that has led to a shortage of cash. She is not broke; she is rich.

We'll know she's broke when she starts posting in the For Sale threads.

My POTN Gallery, Complete gear list,
Tradition - Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

sponsored links

18,743 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tough times for all - Annie Leibovitz pawn life work for loan
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.