Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
Thread started 17 May 2009 (Sunday) 22:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

NASA Crashing Into Moon?

Chopper ­ Al
743 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2009

May 17, 2009 22:18 |  #1

I was in a variety store this past week on my lunch, and saw an astronomy magazine that had an article about NASA crashing something into the moon in August, 2009.

Didn't get a chance to read the article or the money to buy the magazine, but has anyone else heard or read about this?

If this is true, is this something that will be visible or able to be photographed by Joe Average in his backyard? Or what would be required in order to at least view it?

Thanks...
Al

sponsored links
SAB_Click
443 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 17, 2009 22:26 |  #2

Is it this: http://www.lunarexplor​ers.net/node/538 (external link) ??

Chopper ­ Al
THREAD ­ STARTER
743 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2009

May 18, 2009 09:56 |  #3

Thank you, that is it.

The explosion itself will probably be hidden by the walls of the target crater. Instead, what astronomers will look for is the impact plume. An expanding cone of ejecta will rise more than 6 kilometers above the lunar surface and spread outward for about 40 km in every direction. Glistening in the sunlight, the debris is expected to shine like a 6th to 8th magnitude star—invisible to the human eye but an easy target for backyard telescopes.

Colaprete's team will time the impact so that it happens while the Moon is high in the sky at night in Hawaii. There, LCROSS scientists will observe the ejecta plume with the powerful Infrared Telescope Facility. But astronomers on the west coast of the U.S. and in Japan could be able to see the impact as well, depending on the precise impact time. "It really is going to turn into an international event," Colaprete says. "Everyone's going to be training their eyes on the impact to observe it."

Hopefully, some POTN folks in those areas will be able to get some great photos.

Al

400TMY
21 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 10, 2009 03:02 |  #4

Anything?

blog (external link) gear

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 11, 2009 02:54 as a reply to  @ 400TMY's post |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

I want to know, too! This sounds so exciting. I wonder if we could see up there what's going on..;)

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 13, 2009 05:59 |  #6

They've picked the target. (external link) Hope you guys out west get to see something.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,255 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 13, 2009 06:06 |  #7

Hope there isn't, say, some invaluable artefact hidden in that crater they're bombing :p

I'd be very interested to see what comes of this!

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

400TMY
21 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 13, 2009 12:48 |  #8

This could be my first toe dip into astro-photography!

I've got about 30 days to

• sell enough camera gear to get a 12" telescope
  • learn to properly mount it
  • figure out the software
  • get appropriate camera mount
  • find a way to carry said 80lbs tube on a bus or amtrak
  • transport from destination to viewing area
all with a cash budget of like 100 bucks and whatever I can get selling the 70-200 2.8is and other things..

lol. impulse trip ftl.

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 22, 2009 10:48 |  #9

Quite looking forward to this, and I think I'll have to book the day as leave, just in case it's clear. I'll have my 11" scope by then, so just need to lug it all to somewhere with a clear shot to the west, where the moon will be setting, and will see what I can get. Would be preferable to take my laptop and webcam to get a video of the event, so a power-source or cigarette lighter adapter is required.

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

unnerv
211 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 06, 2009 22:45 |  #10

anybody think 100-400mm on a crop body will get anything? I am debating if it is worth getting up at 4am or earlier to give it a shot. It looks like the impact should be around 4:30am PST in the Cabeus A crater near the south pole.

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 07, 2009 03:30 |  #11

unnerv wrote in post #8775125 (external link)
anybody think 100-400mm on a crop body will get anything?

Might struggle, but I'd definitely give it a try.

I gather this event isn't going to be viewable from the UK now...the moon will be below the horizon. (I did almost contemplate packing my scope and taking a flight out to the States, but that would just be silly!) :(

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

400TMY
21 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 07, 2009 08:52 |  #12

according to nasa (external link) you need a telescope with a diameter of 10-12 inches or larger.

How does that translate to camera lens? That would give a good idea.

unnerv
211 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 07, 2009 09:38 |  #13

400TMY wrote in post #8777189 (external link)
according to nasa (external link) you need a telescope with a diameter of 10-12 inches or larger.

How does that translate to camera lens? That would give a good idea.

sounds like a no go. On that site they say it won't be visible with binoculars which are rated about 8x to 10x. 400mm is roughly equiv. to 8x or so.

Thanks for the link.

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 07, 2009 19:14 |  #14

Sorry guys and gals but you are not going to see it much less capture an image without the help of a 10" or bigger scope . Don't do something stupid and sell all your gear to see it cause it last such a short while and you can watch it live from NASA TV or on the web from NASA (external link) .

sponsored links

2,846 views & 0 likes for this thread
NASA Crashing Into Moon?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.