Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Sep 2009 (Wednesday) 22:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Acceptable noise on new Canon 450D?

kim-i
26 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 09, 2009 22:38 |  #1

Hi everyone

I have just tested out my new 450D yesterday and was slightly concerned about the level of noise present at low ISO's.
I have noticed a lot of red grain in shots the sky in shots taken in bright daylight and at ISO100 and I am pretty disappointed at the level of noise and grain that is present in all shots I took in twilight light, just as the sun went down and the shutter was releasing for 1-30 seconds.
Here is one sample and a 100% crop:

http://www.stevearnold​photo.com/miscfiles/fu​llophouse.jpg (external link)

100%
http://www.stevearnold​photo.com/miscfiles/cr​opophouse.jpg (external link)

It seems that on first impressions, my boyfriends trusty Sony a200 is producing much better quality images with respect to noise, or lack thereof. When he does long exposure twilight shots at ISO100 with that he gets such smooth flawless pictures but using the 450D we havent yet been able to produce that level of quality.

FYI, the EXIF for the above image is as follows:

ISO: 100
55mm using the kit lens
f9.0
1/30sec

also, we had long exposure noise reduction and high iso noise reduction turned on (although the latter wouldnt have come into play anyway)

Any comments or suggestions you may have would be most welcome.

i forgot to mention - the image is unedited and the histogram in lightroom shows no shadow clipping on either the full image or the crop. This is not a case of me bringing up the brightness of the shadows to reveal the grain

My Flickr (external link)
My Facebook Page (external link)

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst”

Henri Cartier-Bresson

sponsored links
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 09, 2009 22:52 |  #2

All I see in your 100% crop is a dark blur.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 09, 2009 23:53 as a reply to  @ tkbslc's post |  #3

You will always get some noise in underexposed and shadow areas of an image irrespective of ISO or camera.. This is one of the give and take properties of digital photography..

If you try to bring these shadows/underexposed areas up in post processing it gets even worse..

The 100% crop you submitted is invalid,,you are showing a shadow area.. Pixel peeping is counter productive,,it opens up a can of worms especially to those inexperienced in digital photography.. Look at the entire image as a whole then evaluate the image..

Pixel peeping is like trying to evalute just 5 sq cm of the Mona Lisa or listening to just a few bars of Ode To Joy..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

kim-i
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 10, 2009 04:37 as a reply to  @ yogestee's post |  #4

heres another example from the same shoot.

IMAGE: http://www.stevearnoldphoto.com/miscfiles/fullcity.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.stevearnoldphoto.com/miscfiles/cropcity.jpg

This one was at iso 200, which i know isnt the lowest but i wouldnt have thought it should be this grainy.

Exif for this one:
iso 200
28mm
f14
30 sec

i will have to do some more tests over the weekend but id be happy to know what you think in the meantime

thanks!

edit: forgot to say, i dont consider it pixel peeping when the noise is as high as this second shot in particular. I dont think a print would have to be very big at all before the noise was noticable

Henri Cartier-Bresson

KCY
Unlocked the hidden 117 point AF
7,170 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 10, 2009 04:51 |  #5

Hello and welcome

How large are you thinking of printing, because that 100% crop would have to be printed on a sheet of paper bigger than A0 (well over 1 meter wide) to be able to fit the entire picture in.

Second at f/14 i believe you are beginning to experiance diffraction effects, which will cause softening in pictures.

thirdly maybe shooting in raw and use some noise reduction would help, long exposures will be are noiser and more noticable in areas without much contrast.

fouth that full image is amazing!! lovely shot.

KC - The Circle of PoTN - Member of the UCPC
My Gear|My Smugmug (external link)|Pong

cgatto
877 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 10, 2009 04:56 |  #6

KCY wrote in post #8617114 (external link)
Hello and welcome

How large are you thinking of printing, because that 100% crop would have to be printed on a sheet of paper bigger than A0 (well over 1 meter wide) to be able to fit the entire picture in.

Second at f/14 i believe you are beginning to experiance diffraction effects, which will cause softening in pictures.

thirdly maybe shooting in raw and use some noise reduction would help, long exposures will be are noiser and more noticable in areas without much contrast.

fouth that full image is amazing!! lovely shot.

Bang on. Pixel peeping that is pointless. The shot is awesome. Print it out and you won't even notice the noise.

Canon 7D, Canon 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Canon 70-200 f/4L

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 10, 2009 05:05 |  #7
bannedPermanently

tkbslc wrote in post #8616010 (external link)
All I see in your 100% crop is a dark blur.

LOL +1

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 10, 2009 05:08 |  #8
bannedPermanently

Okay, that was a little mean I apologize, but what "yogestee" said nails it.

Good advice =)

RWatkins
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 10, 2009 05:08 |  #9

What is your workflow? Its hard too say much w/o knowing.

Do you shoot JPEGs or raw followed by conversion to JPEG? The reason I ask is because what you are seeing might be a difference in the noise reduction (NR) applied by the Sony verses the Canon. I too get less than stellar results when I shoot RAW, like you, however, this is soon corrected when I add a little NR in processing. Since I can the right amount of NR, I get better pictures than relying on the camera alone to do it for me.

Stuff and things
President – International Brotherhood of Instagram Haters

kim-i
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 10, 2009 07:47 |  #10

Hey everyone, thanks for your feedback once more.

I shot both these images in RAW only and used lightroom to do the crop and export to jpeg.

The only other editing I did was to undo the automatic "blacks" adjustment that lightroom makes when importing the files.

I would have to say that I would prefer the camera to do the noise reduction rather than myself in post as it does the second exposure with the shutter closed thing, which i dont think you could replicate in post.

I dont intend on printing at A0, but I do sometimes print at 12x8, so the grain may well show at that size.

Anyway, i think I will have to do some more tests at different apertures and in different conditions etc.

On the subject of f numbers, could it be possible that it is a symptom of using the kit lens as opposed to a higher end one? I hadnt considered lenses affecting noise before, but my boyfriend does have a tamron 17-50 f2.8 lens on his sony which is a big upgrade from his old kit lens. Would going the same way help me here?

Henri Cartier-Bresson

jgrussell
Looking around nervously
18,758 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 10, 2009 10:11 |  #11

kim-i wrote in post #8617581 (external link)
I would have to say that I would prefer the camera to do the noise reduction rather than myself in post as it does the second exposure with the shutter closed thing, which i dont think you could replicate in post.

You'd be amazed at what you can do in post. I do all my own noise reduction in post and while it has to be done a LOT especially in dark shots with the XSi, the end results are just fine. Mostly importantly you can reduce noise SELECTIVELY in post, where in the camera it's the whole shot or nothing.

-- jgr
blog (external link) | gear | my birds (external link)http://photos.jgrussel​l.com/gallery/7381653_​pK9fK (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 10, 2009 10:35 |  #12

kim-i,

I just think you are being hypercritical of the noise. Not sure what you used before, but the XSi performs very, very well for noise. You say your BF's A200 is doing better, but I think you look at the whole picture as well as shots over ISO 400, you will find your XSi does an outstanding job. But the A200 is certainly not a "trusty old" camera as it came out the same year as the XSi, so don't expect your Canon to blow it away in every regard. Both are good cameras.

You just need to step back a little. No camera creates perfect images at 100% view. None. Period. But the good news is that there is little practical application for 100% pixel level shots. Just go shoot, apply a little NR in post if you see obvious noise. Don't zoom in looking for noise because nobody else will do that to your shots. Try printing a few and you will see how little noise shows in even larger prints. And have fun. Examining shots for every minor error takes all the fun out of the hobby.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,488 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 10, 2009 11:55 |  #13

I dont intend on printing at A0, but I do sometimes print at 12x8, so the grain may well show at that size.

An A0 is 16 times the size of an 8x12 in area, 4 times as big along each edge. If you want to predict print quality with a 100% zoom you will have to get up from your chair and view your monitor from across the room.

Elie / אלי

foxbat
Goldmember
2,432 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 10, 2009 12:05 |  #14

kim-i wrote in post #8615937 (external link)
I have just tested out my new 450D yesterday and was slightly concerned about the level of noise present at low ISO's.
I have noticed a lot of red grain in shots the sky in shots taken in bright daylight and at ISO100 and I am pretty disappointed at the level of noise and grain that is present in all shots I took in twilight light, just as the sun went down and the shutter was releasing for 1-30 seconds.

The XSi does have a low level of noise at ISO100 that you can see at the pixel level - I noticed it when I got mine. I got used to processing around it quite quickly and soon got addicted to the superb level of detail that the sensor can yield. It's a great little camera with an excellent sensor that's not hobbled with a strong AA filter - stick with it.

Andy Brown; South-east England. Canon, Sigma, Leica, Zeiss all on Canon DSLRs. My hacking blog (external link).

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,956 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Sep 10, 2009 12:23 |  #15

tkbslc wrote in post #8618409 (external link)
kim-i,

I just think you are being hypercritical of the noise. Not sure what you used before, but the XSi performs very, very well for noise. You say your BF's A200 is doing better, but I think you look at the whole picture as well as shots over ISO 400, you will find your XSi does an outstanding job. But the A200 is certainly not a "trusty old" camera as it came out the same year as the XSi, so don't expect your Canon to blow it away in every regard. Both are good cameras.

You just need to step back a little. No camera creates perfect images at 100% view. None. Period. But the good news is that there is little practical application for 100% pixel level shots. Just go shoot, apply a little NR in post if you see obvious noise. Don't zoom in looking for noise because nobody else will do that to your shots. Try printing a few and you will see how little noise shows in even larger prints. And have fun. Examining shots for every minor error takes all the fun out of the hobby.

Wise words indeed!

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links

4,010 views & 0 likes for this thread
Acceptable noise on new Canon 450D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.