Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 01 Sep 2009 (Tuesday) 16:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D3 and EF-S lenses???

oaktree
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 01, 2009 16:18 |  #1

OK, in this 7D frenzy, I was wondering if anyone thinks having the new 5D3 also accept EF-S lenses would be an advantage? Then the Nikonians can't brag about their D700. Or is it just a marketing ploy with no real advantage?

I ask this because a poster in another thread "complained" that Canon keeps forcing us to buy 2 camera bodies (FF and crop) whereas Nikon has the D700 so you can have the best of both worlds in one body.

Too much stuff, not enough shooting time.

Canon T4i (2 lenses), Fuji X100s, Olympus OM-D EM-1 (3 lenses)

sponsored links
AdamLewis
Goldmember
4,120 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 01, 2009 16:21 |  #2

Yeah. Totally. The best of both worlds at 5mp!

flickr (external link)

Replaces
Goldmember
1,079 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 01, 2009 16:26 |  #3

AdamLewis wrote in post #8564388 (external link)
Yeah. Totally. The best of both worlds at 5mp!

its actually about 6~7mp =)
good thing is that you can still use cropped lenses on nikon body with "DX Crop mode"
but it sucks b/c you only get 6~7mp.
(unless that's enough for you =))

"If you don't walk today, you have to run tomorrow."
Nikon, then Canon, then Nikon again. But I still love POTN over NikonCafe. :p

Nikon D90, MB-D80, Nikon D600, MB-D14, Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G, Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G VR.

reng2009
218 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 01, 2009 18:22 |  #4

Replaces wrote in post #8564430 (external link)
its actually about 6~7mp =)
good thing is that you can still use cropped lenses on nikon body with "DX Crop mode"
but it sucks b/c you only get 6~7mp.
(unless that's enough for you =))

But for a 5D Mk III (30+ mp), that's fine. Crop mode would give you ~15 mp, which would be terrific!

Electrical
373 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 03, 2009 01:48 |  #5

reng2009 wrote in post #8565087 (external link)
But for a 5D Mk III (30+ mp), that's fine. Crop mode would give you ~15 mp, which would be terrific!

the 7D's pixel density would extrapolate to 46mpix on a full frame sensor...
so expect something in that area instead of sub 40mpix for the next generation of non-1Ds series FF cameras.

frankchn
460 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 03, 2009 02:20 |  #6

I don't know why this topic keeps coming up. It is a physical impossibility currently - Canon's EF-S lenses have a shorter flange focal distance which means that the mirror on an FF or 1.3x camera will hit the back of the lens.

This isn't a problem with third party, Nikon DX or Sony DT lenses - as they just project a smaller image circle without reducing the flange focal distance of the mount.

Edit: In fact you can already "take advantage" of lenses for APS-C sensors on your FF cameras - just buy third party ones - I think the Tokina 11-16/2.8 works perfectly on FF cameras 15mm and up. (From Ken Rockwell - http://www.kenrockwell​.com …1-16mm/fx/11-D3R_4295.jpg (external link) and http://www.kenrockwell​.com …1-16mm/fx/15-D3R_4305.jpg (external link))

Electrical
373 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 03, 2009 02:34 |  #7

frankchn wrote in post #8574437 (external link)
I don't know why this topic keeps coming up. It is a physical impossibility currently - Canon's EF-S lenses have a shorter flange focal distance which means that the mirror on an FF or 1.3x camera will hit the back of the lens.

This isn't a problem with third party, Nikon DX or Sony DT lenses - as they just project a smaller image circle without reducing the flange focal distance of the mount.

Edit: In fact you can already "take advantage" of lenses for APS-C sensors on your FF cameras - just buy third party ones - I think the Tokina 11-16/2.8 works perfectly on FF cameras 15mm and up. (From Ken Rockwell - http://www.kenrockwell​.com …1-16mm/fx/11-D3R_4295.jpg (external link) and http://www.kenrockwell​.com …1-16mm/fx/15-D3R_4305.jpg (external link))

pretty much defeting the purpose of an ef-s lens if you ask me... why get a lens that can only do 15mm on a ff when you pay for it to do 11mm-...

if you have a FF cam, just get normal EF lenses. they are usually better built than the plastic ef-s compatible ones and offer much better IQ. weather sealing is another issue and they keep their value better, especially L lenses...if you have a crop cam in your portfolio, all you need to do is get a UWA EF-S lens to cover the wide-side of the focal-length spectrum. other than that, you can use all your EF lenses on your crop.

basically this idea is just plain "BS" and is never going to happen...

frankchn
460 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 03, 2009 02:38 |  #8

Electrical wrote in post #8574475 (external link)
pretty much defeting the purpose of an ef-s lens if you ask me... why get a lens that can only do 15mm on a ff when you pay for it to do 11mm-...

if you have a FF cam, just get normal EF lenses. they are usually better built than the plastic ef-s compatible ones and offer much better IQ. weather sealing is another issue and they keep their value better, especially L lenses...if you have a crop cam in your portfolio, all you need to do is get a UWA EF-S lens to cover the wide-side of the focal-length spectrum. other than that, you can use all your EF lenses on your crop.

basically this idea is just plain "BS" and is never going to happen...

Agreed. But it is to show that it can be done with third party lenses and frankly I think Canon would have had the feature long ago as well - if they didn't change the mount specifications for EF-S.

Electrical
373 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 03, 2009 02:42 |  #9

frankchn wrote in post #8574485 (external link)
Agreed. But it is to show that it can be done with third party lenses and frankly I think Canon would have had the feature long ago as well - if they didn't change the mount specifications for EF-S.

yeah you can "fit" an ef-s lens on a FF "bayonet-wise", meaning physically it will attach to the mount, but why go through the hassle/hack to buy a third-party lens, that wasn't "fully" made for FF and then only use 15MM? just get a 16-35L II and be done with it. you cant go lower than 14MM on FF anyway, which would be 8.75mm on a crop (which is suuuuuuper wide)...

frankchn
460 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 03, 2009 02:51 |  #10

yeah you can "fit" an ef-s lens on a FF "bayonet-wise", meaning physically it will attach to the mount

It won't - not without modifying the Canon EF-S lens by at least removing the rubber stopper at the back of the EF-S lens. Third party APS-C lenses for Canon are actually in EF mount instead of EF-S mount.

Electrical
373 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 03, 2009 03:38 |  #11

frankchn wrote in post #8574515 (external link)
It won't - not without modifying the Canon EF-S lens by at least removing the rubber stopper at the back of the EF-S lens. Third party APS-C lenses for Canon are actually in EF mount instead of EF-S mount.

hence the quotes in my post stating it will... ehem... "fit". :)

shadowcat
855 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 09, 2009 17:51 |  #12

God I hope they don't do something stupid like that. they need to get rid of the EF-S system and go all FF sensor in all cameras

Canon 5D MK2 with grip,7D w/grip,G1x,300mm 2.8is, 35 1.4L, 24-70 2.8II, 85 1.8, 70-200L 2.8 is, 100L macro, 2x& 1.4 tele, canon pro9000 printer, 600ex-rt,580ex 2 flash, macro flash
my photo's http://s335.photobucke​t.com/albums/m476/oneb​adkitty1969/ (external link)

Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 09, 2009 18:06 |  #13

The 1.3x sensor i.e. APS-H is the best compromise! Great FPS performance, the BEST AF performance, Very nice IQ, esp at the higher ISOs, and the little bit of extra "reach" for birds/wildlife.

All Canon needs to do is manufacture some lenses SPECIFICALLY for the 1.3x crop sensor, esp in the wide angle zoom range. A 12-24 mm f2.8 or f3.5 L would be a nice start.

Photographers do it in 1/1,000th of a second...but the memory lasts forever! ;)
"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy
People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!

sodalis
304 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 10, 2009 16:51 |  #14

Canonswhitelensesrule wrote in post #8614577 (external link)
The 1.3x sensor i.e. APS-H is the best compromise! Great FPS performance, the BEST AF performance, Very nice IQ, esp at the higher ISOs, and the little bit of extra "reach" for birds/wildlife.

What extra reach would that be exactly?

Quick quiz- In the current Canon line up, what body has the least amount of "reach"?

Answer: The 1DIII

Muskydave22
Goldmember
1,716 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 10, 2009 20:54 as a reply to  @ sodalis's post |  #15

only ef-s lens worth it on full frame might be 17-55 IS imo

dave

Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

7,025 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D3 and EF-S lenses???
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.