Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 10 Sep 2009 (Thursday) 19:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

zoom lens?

letthemusicflow
81 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 10, 2009 19:57 |  #1

I currently own the canon ef-s 18-55mm and the ef 50mm 1.8. I want to buy a good telephoto lens next (the 18-55 is not enough zoom and isn't very sharp), but I'm not sure what to get. I was thinking maybe the Sigma 70-300, it seems like a decent lens for a very decent price. Help me out please :) thanks

Matt
Gear

sponsored links
BeritOlam
Goldmember
1,675 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 10, 2009 20:03 |  #2

I picked up a Sigma 70-300mm for a friend of mine off of Ebay for $105 about 3 weeks ago. I sampled it for a few days, before giving it to him. It's a nice lens for the price. Definitely better than the dreaded 75-300mm Canon!

However, if you are expecting massive improvements in the sharpness dept. over the 18-55 kit lens, you may be disappointed. The 18-55 is decent for a low-end consumer lens, and the Sigma 70-300mm didn't seem (to me, at least) like much of an improvement.

If at all possible, I would try to spend an extra $75 and pick up a used copy of a 55-250mm. [My friend was on an extreme budget so we had to stay lower!] That really is the "best" of the lot for light, consumer grade zoom lenses. I think you'll like the extra width on the wide end as well of the 55-250.

P.S. If you do go with the Sigma, make sure it is the APO one....

~Matt

Gear List

Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt. – Herbert Hoover

letthemusicflow
THREAD ­ STARTER
81 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 10, 2009 20:08 |  #3

Thanks! Of those two, I still like the Sigma better. Even if the sharpness isn't all that better, I still prefer the Sigma because it seems better built (it has a metal mount!! :D). I will look more into both though!

Matt
Gear

shooter ­ mcgavin
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 10, 2009 23:05 |  #4

My fiance uses that sigma on her nikon d40 and loves it. I was so impressed that I almost sold my 70-200 f/4, but ended up selling it for different reasons. After any day shooting at the zoo, neither of us could tell the difference between the quality either of them produced. I'm not saying it's as good as the L, but I am saying that optically, it's no slouch.

StellaBean
276 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 11, 2009 07:34 as a reply to  @ shooter mcgavin's post |  #5

for the price, the canon 55-250 really is an awesome lens. I've been using it for sons football games and frankly the shots impress me for the price of the lens.

~Jennifer~
5D|40D|17-50mm f/2.8|28-75mm f/2.8|[COLOR=Black]50mm f/1.4|70-200mm L f/4 IS|430EX

ceegee
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 11, 2009 08:07 |  #6

Another vote for the 55-250 here - it's a terrific lens. Don't underestimate the importance of image stabilization on a longer zoom; it will allow you to get shots that simply wouldn't be possible otherwise. The 55-250 has it, but the Sigma 70-300 doesn't.

Gear: Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Canon 24-105L f4, Canon 70-300L, Canon 60 macro f/2.8, Speedlite 580 EXII, 2x AB800

Website (external link)

BeritOlam
Goldmember
1,675 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 11, 2009 14:26 |  #7

Yes, the IS alone (in my opinion) makes the 55-250mm the better choice in the under-$200 (used) range.

Also, the Sigma is a little slower in the focusing department as well. If you're lookin' for, say, action shots of your son's soccer game, then get ready for a lot of discards later!

I didn't compare the Canon 55-250 and the Sig 70-300 APO side-by-side, but (from what I recall) the build quality of the Siggie didn't strike me as much better than the Canon.

Gear List

Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt. – Herbert Hoover

sponsored links

652 views & 0 likes for this thread
zoom lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.