Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Sep 2009 (Friday) 10:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 1Ds2 manual focus confirmation?

jphendren
167 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 11, 2009 10:06 |  #1

I am curious if the 1Ds2 has any form of manual focus confirmation. I have had cameras that when the image was in focus a little green light would light up in the viewfinder to confirm focus. It even had little red arrows to tell you which way to turn the focus ring. Does the 1Ds2 have anything like this?

Jared

I just found the answer to my question on page 76 of the manual. With the shutter button pressed halfway, the fucus point will flash and a small green light on the bottom of the VF will light up indicating proper focus. Cool!

1V | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | EF 70-200mm f/4L USM | TC-80N3 | Gitzo GT0530 |

sponsored links
sodalis
304 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 11, 2009 10:16 |  #2

jphendren wrote in post #8624796 (external link)
I just found the answer to my question on page 76 of the manual. With the shutter button pressed halfway, the fucus point will flash and a small green light on the bottom of the VF will light up indicating proper focus. Cool!

If you have the On/Off switch all the way up you will get an audible beep as well.

jphendren
THREAD ­ STARTER
167 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 11, 2009 10:26 |  #3

sodalis wrote in post #8624843 (external link)
If you have the On/Off switch all the way up you will get an audible beep as well.

Oh wow!! I did not see that in the manual. Neat. I don't trust my vision enough to manual focus without the camera confirming what I thought I knew. This camera does it in triplicate. I normally shoot manual focus. I know that I could flip the lens into AF mode, auto focus, and then back into manual and recompose, but it saves time and battery power if I just focus manually.

Jared

1V | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | EF 70-200mm f/4L USM | TC-80N3 | Gitzo GT0530 |

aroundlsu
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 11, 2009 11:54 as a reply to  @ jphendren's post |  #4

A much better solution is to remap the auto focus to the exposure lock and alternate focus point buttons on the back of the camera under your thumb. You can do this with the custom settings. With this setting engaged you can manual focus without having to flip the AF switch on the lens to off. You can also instantly engage autofocus and choose between two favorite focus points all with your thumb.

Give it a try for a day or two. It will feel weird at first to autofocus with your thumb, but I am certain you can see the advantages it opens up.

Teddy Smith, SOC
IATSE Local 600 Cinematographer

Tiger1
273 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 11, 2009 16:33 as a reply to  @ aroundlsu's post |  #5

Still on 1DsMkII Topic, but different subject:

Can you tell me what the latest firmware is for the 1DII please?
Thanks,

Gene
Artist/Photographer/Ar​chitect
1DsMkII, 7D, 10d, SD950IS and - "Oh Yeah" "L" Glass 100-400L, 17-40L www.generizzo.com (external link)

aroundlsu
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 11, 2009 17:05 |  #6

Tiger1 wrote in post #8627067 (external link)
Still on 1DsMkII Topic, but different subject:

Can you tell me what the latest firmware is for the 1DII please?
Thanks,

http://web.canon.jp …eos1dsmk2_firmw​are-e.html (external link)

Teddy Smith, SOC
IATSE Local 600 Cinematographer

Tiger1
273 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 11, 2009 17:24 |  #7

Teddy, thanks and BTW,

The reason I use Tiger1 - I'm from Houma, La. and an LSU graduate and love those "TIGERS". I live in Florida and catch a lot of grief from the Gators.
It'll be over this year though, we're gonna beat them, Tebow and all, in Death Valley Oct.10; I can't wait.

"GO TIGERS"

Gene
Artist/Photographer/Ar​chitect
1DsMkII, 7D, 10d, SD950IS and - "Oh Yeah" "L" Glass 100-400L, 17-40L www.generizzo.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,554 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 1Ds2 manual focus confirmation?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.