Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 11 Sep 2009 (Friday) 23:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shouldn't Canon have a FF camera with built in flash?

sunking39
403 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 11, 2009 23:17 |  #1

Sure, built in flashes dont compare with an external unit, but still... What if you dont want to walk aroundwith an extra flash? What if its dark and you need to document something?
Isn't just the possibility of using fill flash on a face in a sunny day reason enough for Canon to offer a non cropped camera body with built in flash?

Do you people who walk around with 5Ds or 1ds, ever miss the builtinflash? Nothing fancy just a very a simple little extra light source?

I for one envy people with Nikon D700's.
I also think Canon may be loosing customer who enjoy the convenience of a built in flash and like FF sensors.

Just a bit curious.

sponsored links
Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 11, 2009 23:24 |  #2

It's hard to understand Canon's target market sometimes. They put a [GREEN BOX] mode on the 5D but not a pop-up flash. I'm not sure who they were trying to sell to.

But if you really want a built-in flash unit, Canon has plenty of great cameras to choose from.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

Lazuka
Cream of the Crop
5,639 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 11, 2009 23:25 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Canon's philosophy is...the problem will resolve itself.

I suck at Photoshop.

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 11, 2009 23:28 |  #4
bannedPermanently

By the time you start moving to FF cameras, and really spending some $$ on like 5D/1D bodies don't you think it's silly to be using a pop-up flash? Just my thought =/

then again Curtis..you have a point =)

mritchy
Goldmember
2,091 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 11, 2009 23:29 |  #5

I definately see your point as far as why should it be missing. My guess would be that most pop up flashes are not that great, so if you are going to be shooting a 5D or 1D, use a solid external versus something that is going to overexpose the shots since it is always a direct flash.

Mr. Itchy
14L II, 17L TS-E, 35L, 24-70L II, 45 TS-E, 90 Macro, 50L, 85 1.8, 70-200L II, 200 f/2L

1Dx, 5D III, 6D
Weddings-Real Estate (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 11, 2009 23:32 |  #6

A pop up can be used quite effectively as a fill.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 11, 2009 23:33 |  #7

Maybe they could add one with a firmware tweak?

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Nervous
372 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 11, 2009 23:46 |  #8

I love those snobby remarks such as "don't you think silly to use popup flash on super-duper FF camera"! :D For some reasons Nikon D700 has it, so Nikon don't think this way about their entry level FF camera (which 5D is as well).
Popup flash is VERY useful tool. First of all, don't forget the 5D doesn't have focus assist lamp (as well as all other Canons) and since it also doesn't have flash we are meeting a problem with focusing in dim light without using huge additional device on top of the camera.
The second use - fill light, even for shooting during sunny day to avoid shadows. I bet you'll not bring full size flash with you on a beach. As a result - long shadows under noses on photos.
And the third one, which became possible in 7D: wireless transmitter in multi-flashes configuration. So, you don't need to waste expensive 580EXII by using it as a transmitter and do not need to buy an expensive transmitter either.

I was seriously thinking about moving to 5DII but two reasons stopped me, and the first one was absence of the popup flash (the second is crappy AF). So, I am buying 7D instead.

7D | 5D classic | EF-S 10-22 | EF 24-105 L IS | EF 70-300 IS USM | EF 85/1.8 | EF 50/1.8 II | Sigma 24-60/2.8 | Tamron 90/2.8 | 580EXII | 2x 420EX | 055XPro + 488RC2

canon_shots
149 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 11, 2009 23:50 |  #9

bw!

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #8629054 (external link)
Maybe they could add one with a firmware tweak?

EOS 7D, 50D
Sigma 30 1.4, Tamron 17-50 2.8, 85 1.8, 70-200 f4L, 2 550EX, 580EXII.
My Flickr (external link)

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,307 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Sep 12, 2009 00:10 |  #10

sunking39 wrote in post #8628963 (external link)
Sure, built in flashes dont compare with an external unit, but still... What if you dont want to walk aroundwith an extra flash? What if its dark and you need to document something?
Isn't just the possibility of using fill flash on a face in a sunny day reason enough for Canon to offer a non cropped camera body with built in flash?

Do you people who walk around with 5Ds or 1ds, ever miss the builtinflash? Nothing fancy just a very a simple little extra light source?

I for one envy people with Nikon D700's.
I also think Canon may be loosing customer who enjoy the convenience of a built in flash and like FF sensors.

Just a bit curious.

then that's the camera you should get. neither of my cameras have built in flashes. and my 5d didn't have a built in flash.

what all three of these cameras i've owned have in common is they are all excellent at hi-ISOs.

i've only used the built in flash a few times on any DSLR that i've owned and i've generally hated the results. in fact i can't think of one picture that i've kept over the years that was taken with built in flash.

so i guess i'm not a fan and i'm glad the three best canon DSLRs i've owned didn't have the feature.

if i wanted a camera with built in flash i would buy one. there are plenty out there :D.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 12, 2009 00:17 |  #11

I use the popup on my 30D. Not all the time, but there are situations where it's useful. Even paid work.

A couple real life examples from a wedding this summer:

1. Catamarans. Walking around on a catamaran is hard enough. Walking around on a catamaran with too much gear is ridiculous. It's close quarters. A Guide No. of 192 feet is overnutskill.

2. Waterfalls. Climbing a waterfall tourist spot is hard enough. Climbing a waterfall tourist spot with too much gear is ridiculous. It's not close quarters, but I ain't doing it at night so all I need is fill. Besides, if I slip and fall in the liquidy goodness better known as GEAR POISON, I'd rather kill a 30D and Sigma 12-24* than a 1D II and a 24-70L and 580EX II.

*which reminds me, I need to get an EF-S 18-55. ;)

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

mahanee
126 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Sep 12, 2009 00:19 |  #12

i don`t remember when the last time i use internal flash on my 40D

G3 die hard

bbss
324 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 12, 2009 00:20 |  #13

Of course. A high tech'ed FF rebel with no green box. But $ is unfortunatly pri 1.

With 100% viewfinder as well.

breal101
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 12, 2009 01:02 |  #14

In a word NO.

"Try to go out empty and let your images fill you up." Jay Maisel

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,160 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 12, 2009 01:04 |  #15

I've read somewhere that maybe the prism/viewfinder on FF is a bit large to fit the built-in flash in there?

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

sponsored links

9,043 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shouldn't Canon have a FF camera with built in flash?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.