Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 28 Jul 2006 (Friday) 11:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post the most ridiculous comments you've received with a big lens on!

this thread is locked
wickerprints
"Shooting blanks"
864 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 13, 2009 17:16 |  #7336

LBaldwin wrote in post #8637731 (external link)
Well thats two - anybody else... now what did I do with that troll repellant lol

The title of the thread is "Post the most ridiculous comments you've received with a big lens on," not "Post the most ridiculous comments you've made with a big lens on."  :p ;)

5DmkII :: EF 24-105/4L IS :: EF 85/1.8 :: EF 70-200/2.8L IS :: EF 100/2.8L IS macro (coming soon!)

sponsored links
Thalagyrt
D'OH. I need to wake up some more.
4,816 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 13, 2009 17:16 |  #7337

wickerprints wrote in post #8637745 (external link)
I don't think he was being all that serious. It's true, though, it's not possible to natively use the 400/2.8L IS on a non-Canon body. Nevertheless the way it was said was in rather poor taste, IMO, and hurtful.

Exactly. Honestly, I would have turned around and let the guy try it out for a few minutes. Being nice to someone is far more constructive than making snide comments.

James

wickerprints
"Shooting blanks"
864 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 13, 2009 17:20 |  #7338

Thalagyrt wrote in post #8637755 (external link)
Exactly. Honestly, I would have turned around and let the guy try it out for a few minutes. Being nice to someone is far more constructive than making snide comments.

You're a better (read: more trusting) man than I, then, because I would *not* let anyone, much less some random person, get their paws on something that expensive.  :p

If I owned a 400/2.8L IS, you could be very sure that the only hands that will ever touch it are mine, and those who are authorized to service it. :D

5DmkII :: EF 24-105/4L IS :: EF 85/1.8 :: EF 70-200/2.8L IS :: EF 100/2.8L IS macro (coming soon!)

LBaldwin
Goldmember
4,490 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 13, 2009 17:23 |  #7339

James, you and M_ark have been trolled!! Yes this did take place, but after that I let him see me lens camera combo, let him know about the weight, what Nikon has to match and how their lenses and Canon's differ in size and weight. My camera and lens combo is nearly 15 lbs, and I hand hold it during every airshow. I didn't start photography last week...

BTW my partner who was standing right by me shoots Nikon and we raz the hell out of one another all the time!!

I was teazin and you two fell right for my trap MWAHAHAHAHA.

Les Baldwin
http://www.fotosfx.com (external link)

Thalagyrt
4,816 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 13, 2009 17:26 |  #7340

wickerprints wrote in post #8637774 (external link)
You're a better (read: more trusting) man than I, then, because I would *not* let anyone, much less some random person, get their paws on something that expensive.  :p

If I owned a 400/2.8L IS, you could be very sure that the only hands that will ever touch it are mine, and those who are authorized to service it. :D

It's all about judging whether or not they can handle it safely. I usually don't let random strangers try my gear, but if I'm at a meet up and someone wants to try it, or I'm doing an event and have some downtime and someone with a camera wants to try it out or just look through the viewfinder I'll let them. One time I was out and this mid 50s looking lady randomly came up to me and asked me to check out my camera... Turns out she was a war photographer that was out deployed with the Army in the Gulf War. :)

James

Thalagyrt
4,816 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 13, 2009 17:26 |  #7341

LBaldwin wrote in post #8637786 (external link)
James, you and M_ark have been trolled!! Yes this did take place, but after that I let him see me lens camera combo, let him know about the weight, what Nikon has to match and how their lenses and Canon's differ in size and weight. My camera and lens combo is nearly 15 lbs, and I hand hold it during every airshow. I didn't start photography last week...

BTW my partner who was standing right by me shoots Nikon and we raz the hell out of one another all the time!!

I was teazin and you two fell right for my trap MWAHAHAHAHA.

D'oh! Well played sir. :)

James

LBaldwin
Goldmember
4,490 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 13, 2009 17:31 |  #7342

Thalagyrt wrote in post #8637804 (external link)
D'oh! Well played sir. :)

Just for that you are required to drive down Hiway 1 until it ends, hit Duval street and fedex me some keylime pie over nite!! lol

Les Baldwin

Thalagyrt
4,816 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 13, 2009 17:32 |  #7343

LBaldwin wrote in post #8637829 (external link)
Just for that you are required to drive down Hiway 1 until it ends, hit Duval street and fedex me some keylime pie over nite!! lol

Dood, that's a long drive. :|

James

wickerprints
"Shooting blanks"
864 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 13, 2009 17:32 |  #7344

*yawn*

LBaldwin
Goldmember
4,490 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 13, 2009 17:36 |  #7345

wickerprints wrote in post #8637833 (external link)
*yawn*

What? We keeping you from a nap - or would you like some pie too?:p

Les Baldwin

wickerprints
"Shooting blanks"
864 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 13, 2009 17:41 |  #7346

LBaldwin wrote in post #8637855 (external link)
What? We keeping you from a nap - or would you like some pie too?:p

Pie sounds really delicious about now...I haven't had a good strawberry pie in a long, long time. There's this place a few miles away that even has ollalieberry (sp?) pies but they're very seasonal and sell out super fast. :(

Some pie and vanilla ice cream, with a bit of melted chocolate drizzled on top. That would hit the spot about right now. :D

LBaldwin
Goldmember
4,490 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 13, 2009 17:49 |  #7347

Yup the wife just made a fresh peach so I'll to hit the kitchen and get er done. Back to silly comments> I had a 13 year old ask if I could see the guys in the tower - I said yes the one on the computer has green eyes... his eyes were as big as donuts....

hmmm donuts...

Les Baldwin

wickerprints
"Shooting blanks"
864 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 13, 2009 17:52 |  #7348

LBaldwin wrote in post #8637920 (external link)
Yup the wife just made a fresh peach so I'll to hit the kitchen and get er done. Back to silly comments> I had a 13 year old ask if I could see the guys in the tower - I said yes the one on the computer has green eyes... his eyes were as big as donuts....

hmmm donuts...

There wasn't any...uh..."subtext" intended in that sentence, was there? :shock: :shock:

If so, I think I've lost my appetite for pie.  :p

LBaldwin
Goldmember
4,490 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 13, 2009 18:24 |  #7349

wickerprints wrote in post #8637929 (external link)
There wasn't any...uh..."subtext" intended in that sentence, was there? :shock: :shock:

If so, I think I've lost my appetite for pie. :p

Nope sorry, no subtext, just pie...

Les Baldwin

alduin
915 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 13, 2009 19:05 |  #7350

Got one today shooting 70lb football. Mom with camera (and pop-up flash popped-up in bright sun) is standing behind the fence and after the one and only completed pass of the whole game yells to me and says "Did you get that one? 'Cause I did!" and spins her camera around so I could see the little LCD from 10 yards away.

I just smiled and said "Yep! Well done!" and went about my business. That's when she turned to her friends and said "Yeah, but he'll charge you for a copy of his."

*sigh*

7D+BG-E7 | 5D | G9 | 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 100-400L IS | 10-22mm | 50mm f/1.4 | 580EX II | 430EX II | YN565EX
Manfrotto 055XPROB/488RC2 | 680B/234RC

sponsored links

1,809,667 views & 0 likes for this thread
Post the most ridiculous comments you've received with a big lens on!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.