Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 11 Sep 2009 (Friday) 02:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best Tripod When Hiking

wickerprints
"Shooting blanks"
864 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 11, 2009 14:55 |  #16

pxchoi wrote in post #8626349 (external link)
Seeing that a good tripod setup can cost close to $1000 is a bit discouraging... lol

Especially since I'm rocking the T1i. Are there any other, slightly more economical solutions?

I saw this on B&H http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …17*&Q=&N=0&A=en​decaSearch (external link)

But $688 is still a bit a steep...

See, this is why I wrote (much earlier):

wickerprints wrote in post #8625116 (external link)
Travel Angel FTW!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Carbon-fiber, 1.8 pounds including ballhead, $400.

Or go a bit heavier with aluminum and save more money.

5DmkII :: EF 24-105/4L IS :: EF 85/1.8 :: EF 70-200/2.8L IS :: EF 100/2.8L IS macro (coming soon!)

sponsored links
pxchoi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,146 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 11, 2009 15:17 |  #17

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ravel_Angel_Alu​minum.html (external link)

I was looking at this. Is there a big weight difference between carbon fiber and aluminum? I definitely want to keep it under the $200 range if possible but if it makes a noticeable difference I can always justify spending more. And I'm guessing for my equipment needs 8.8lbs should be enough support.

Patrick Choi
Portfolio (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)
EOS 7D | 580EX II | 10-22mm f3.5-f4.5 | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS |70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
For Sale: 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | 10-22mm f3.5-f4.5

gofer
Goldmember
1,548 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 11, 2009 15:29 |  #18

RPCrowe wrote in post #8625252 (external link)
...............The images show my modified SLIK next to my full-size Giottos and 40D with 70-200mm f/4L IS lens on the F-1 ball head...............

.......are you absolutely sure about this?;)

Steve.

Gear List

saristeguieta
198 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 11, 2009 15:41 as a reply to  @ gofer's post |  #19

The following is not the best, but it is the one I plan to get.

http://www.amvona.com …ct_id=3001&cate​gory_id=93 (external link)

SIMON
yartphoto@gmail.com (external link)
Selling Canon 30D; see https://photography-on-the.net …3&highlight=sar​isteguieta

wickerprints
"Shooting blanks"
864 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 11, 2009 15:48 |  #20

pxchoi wrote in post #8626683 (external link)

I was looking at this. Is there a big weight difference between carbon fiber and aluminum? I definitely want to keep it under the $200 range if possible but if it makes a noticeable difference I can always justify spending more. And I'm guessing for my equipment needs 8.8lbs should be enough support.

Why don't you visit the Benro website and do a little comparison shopping there?

Carbon fiber is very lightweight yet very strong. I think if weight is extremely important to you, then carbon fiber is the way to go even if it costs significantly more. I can definitely feel the difference between 1.8 pounds and 3 pounds on my hikes.

At some point I will get a larger tripod that supports more weight. But after looking at a variety of solutions (including the horrific Gorillapods...don't ever buy one), I could not find a pod that was as sturdy, lightweight, functional, and reasonably priced as the 068/069 Travel Angels. They're not designed to hold a 400/2.8L IS. Few tripods/heads actually are.... But they are absolutely ideal for hiking and traveling.

As a general rule of thumb, take the maximum rated weight, divide by 2, and that's about the comfortable working weight limit for the head. You could go heavier, but you may find the head increasingly cumbersome to use.

5DmkII :: EF 24-105/4L IS :: EF 85/1.8 :: EF 70-200/2.8L IS :: EF 100/2.8L IS macro (coming soon!)

DrFil
513 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 11, 2009 15:58 |  #21

i've climbed up 5000 ft. mountains with my manfrotto 055xprob and 488rc2 head.

ok...so it's really a struggle with that, especially cuz it's too big to attach to my backpack, which ends up weighing like 25-30 lbs. by itself, so i end up carrying it in one of my hands. it's particularly a pain when i have to actually scale rocks.

if you're fit, weight shouldn't be as much of an issue as SIZE. hell, i'd carry a 10 lb. tripod in my backpack if it could fold down to a foot long and extend to full-size.

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 11, 2009 16:10 |  #22

pxchoi wrote in post #8626349 (external link)
Seeing that a good tripod setup can cost close to $1000 is a bit discouraging... lol

Especially since I'm rocking the T1i. Are there any other, slightly more economical solutions?

I saw this on B&H http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …17*&Q=&N=0&A=en​decaSearch (external link)

But $688 is still a bit a steep...

In general, a good tripod setup is going to be about what you would pay for a good lens.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 11, 2009 16:15 |  #23

Well, just because I can doesn't mean I want to.

Maybe he hires out as a sherpa just for fun?

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

mcluckie
I play with fire, run with scissors and skate on thin ice all at once!
2,066 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 11, 2009 19:35 |  #24

Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 with a 486RC2 head

A little heavier than I'd really like, but at 6'3", it was more important for me to have something that was tall enough to reach my eye level.

A LITTLE heavy? I've got the exact same thing in the studio, and I've used that head with the 055MF -- that was my point where the head weighs the same as the tripod. The legs on the 055MF maybe aren't that good, but I got it half price and the weight is decent. All in all very good I think. I just couldn't afford, or justify, the Gitzo MF/CF tripods that are big enough for a 1DsII and a 300. And I'm 6'4 - I don't expect anything at my level, especialy countertops and tripods. A tripod that high is probably on its skinnies; I like to leave those 1/2 way in if possible.

multidisciplinary visual guy | traveler on the 8-fold path | seeker of the spark | walker of the dog
all dingus | dslr canon 5D4, 70-200LII zeiss distagon 15, 21, 25, 28, 50ƒ1.4 milvus; vario-sonnar N 24-85; makro planar 50, 100 mirrorless canon R fujifilm XT-2, 16, 18, 56; zeiss distagon 12, planar 32 film canon 1n hasselblad 501cm, 50, 80

pxchoi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,146 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 11, 2009 21:28 |  #25

wickerprints wrote in post #8626564 (external link)
See, this is why I wrote (much earlier):

Carbon-fiber, 1.8 pounds including ballhead, $400.

Or go a bit heavier with aluminum and save more money.

hahaha, sorry! I know NOTHING about tripods let alone the brands and the names of them. Definitely looks more reasonable in price!

I think this is probably the best option in my price range. It looks like between the Carbon Fiber and the Aluminum is about a .5lbs weight difference. I don't plan on carrying a lot of gear on my day hikes so this is much better than my 5lbs tripod that i currently have.

Patrick Choi
Portfolio (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)
EOS 7D | 580EX II | 10-22mm f3.5-f4.5 | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS |70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
For Sale: 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | 10-22mm f3.5-f4.5

ccookdo
391 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 12, 2009 08:35 |  #26

If you watch the sale boards on FM and POTN plus ebay you can pickup a carbon fiber tripod that is inexpensive. I got a Slik 713II CF for $115 and put a lightweight RRS B25 head on it. Total weight it about 3 pounds.

Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,255 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 12, 2009 08:40 |  #27

I use a carbon fibre Feisol CT-3442 when hiking - goes over my eye-height with no column extension so it's definitely tall enough (173cm tall), weighs hardly anything and folds to <18". Combine that with a Markins M-10 head and you have one very nice, lightweight setup.

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 13, 2009 22:08 |  #28

To the OP -

I'd suggest a lot of education first. Buying tripods is really confusing and the manufacturers have done a terrible job in making it easy to figure out what works and doesn't work. This is compounded by a number of them who have it figured out how to make it look pretty but cut big corners in the inside. You definitely need to learn about this stuff first - the first link below explains why.

Some links:

http://bythom.com/supp​ort.htm (external link)
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/t​ripods_&_heads.shtml (external link)
http://markins.com/cha​rlie/report4e6.pdf (external link)

J.

Obsessive Gear List

wickerprints
"Shooting blanks"
864 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 13, 2009 22:47 |  #29

I accept and agree with the need to educate oneself about the variety of equipment out there, but one of the things you have to realize is that, like lenses or camera bags, there is no single tripod that is going to do everything for you in every situation. You could get the most badass Gitzo + Arca-Swiss ballhead that will support 100 pounds of gear but the question becomes, do you even have 100 pounds of camera to support? Are you needing to carry a 10-pound support system to facilitate your shooting conditions?

I went through the linked articles and while it's admirable to pursue the ideal setup, frankly, if I might interpret the OP's needs, he doesn't need something that's going to hold a 400/2.8L IS in gale force winds. He needs something that's not going to become a constant reminder of the weight he's carrying, something that isn't going to intrude upon the enjoyment of the hike.

It seems like when it comes to soliciting gear advice, the tendency of the responses generally run more along the lines of what each respondent would like to have for themselves, rather than along the parameters of what the OP needs. Someone asks for a good lightweight tripod and they get advice to buy something expensive and heavy--because of course, the OP must not know what they need so it becomes incumbent upon the knowledgeable to redefine those parameters for them.

Honestly, I do encourage people to learn as much as they can about the variety of what is out there. It's not easy to sort through all the information and there are no shortcuts. But let's be realistic here and match the needs of the user to the equipment.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 13, 2009 23:21 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

Jim G wrote in post #8630489 (external link)
I use a carbon fibre Feisol CT-3442 when hiking - goes over my eye-height with no column extension so it's definitely tall enough (173cm tall), weighs hardly anything and folds to <18". Combine that with a Markins M-10 head and you have one very nice, lightweight setup.

+1 for the Feisol 3442...however I chose the Markins Q3 head which is a little lighter than the M-10.

sponsored links

11,282 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Tripod When Hiking
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.