Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 12 Sep 2009 (Saturday) 18:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best Program For JPEG Resizing

Raizer
Goldmember
1,412 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 12, 2009 18:44 |  #1

What do you guys use to resize your jpegs?
I have been using the vista version of power toys for windows resizer which while convenient to use has been making a lot of compression noise/blurriness in some of my resized pics and it is getting annoying!

flickr (external link)

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 12, 2009 19:32 |  #2

Photoshop. Use the image processor script if you have a bunch to do.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

malam
323 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 12, 2009 20:16 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #3

Fastone Photo Resizer.

Canon 5D Mk III
EF70-200mm f2.8L IS MKII; EF50mm f1.2L; EF16-35mm f2.8L II; EF100mm f2.8L IS Macro; EF24-105mm f4.0L IS; EF200mmf2.8L II USM

number ­ six
fully entitled to be jealous
8,953 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 14, 2009 15:19 |  #4

I use DPP if the images are raw, resizing them during the conversion step. If there are a lot of images this is very efficient.

But if I've shot jpeg or want to do further editing of a raw image, I'll resize in Paint Shop Pro after editing.

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash

JTF
758 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 14, 2009 16:11 |  #5

IrfanView its free and workds nicely.

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 15, 2009 00:08 |  #6

InfranView uses a lanczos/sinc resizer, so second that choice

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 15, 2009 00:15 |  #7

Paint shop Pro or Elements 6.0. I have used both.

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 15, 2009 00:39 |  #8

You can resize a jpeg in just about any editing program, including DPP that came with the camera. What software have you been using, if any, to process your pictures out of the camera?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Raizer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,412 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 15, 2009 02:50 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #9

When I do process I use Lightroom 2 then paint.net (I have got CS4, but I find paint.net easier to use)
And I have been using the power toys for windows Vista clone to resize.

I have got IrfanView, I just didnt realize you can resize with it -I got it to view .GIFs on vista

flickr (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 15, 2009 14:27 |  #10

Raizer wrote in post #8646639 (external link)
When I do process I use Lightroom 2 then paint.net (I have got CS4, but I find paint.net easier to use)

I have got IrfanView, I just didnt realize you can resize with it -I got it to view .GIFs on vista

So, it sounds like you are shooting jpeg, importing into Lightroom, doing some processing, then sending them to Paint and/or other tools to do certain things.

I'm curious -- what do you use Paint for that Lightroom doesn't do? And, why not use the Lightroom resizing Export tool?

I'm one for simplicity and not overburdening myself with too many version files of one image, so most of what I do is in Lightroom until I need a specific file for a specific use, such as the Web or passing off to others. At that point I have a "viewing" size in Export which is tailored to the Web with a quality setting that keeps the file size down. Amazingly enough, that size is adapted from the POTN rules, and suits me well for both general Web display as well as passing off to others for whatever reason.

Two pitfalls when using a lot of "tools" with jpegs:

First, if you keep the image in the jpeg format, every time you save a file from one of the tools, it re-compresses the jpeg. Unless you shoot in Large/Fine and save in the highest quality settings in each of your tools you can relatively quickly start to see jpeg compression artifacts and pixelisation.

Second, every file you send out of Lightroom for external processing becomes a copy of your original -- that's good for keeping the original intact, but becomes to me at least burdonesome to maintain multiple copies of one file.

If you are shooting jpegs the best way of ensuring quality is to Export from Lightroom as a tiff, so each tool will not re-compress it jpeg-style. The problem of duplicate versions still exists, though, with the added problem that tiff file sizes are large. So then file size comes into play for both storage and program performance.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Raizer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,412 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 15, 2009 15:22 |  #11

tonylong wrote in post #8649762 (external link)
So, it sounds like you are shooting jpeg, importing into Lightroom, doing some processing, then sending them to Paint and/or other tools to do certain things.

I'm curious -- what do you use Paint for that Lightroom doesn't do? And, why not use the Lightroom resizing Export tool?

I'm shooting in RAW, and I export the pics from Lightroom as jpeg.
I use lightroom just to adjust white balance and exposure then use paint.net to do the rest.

flickr (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,300 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 16, 2009 07:49 |  #12

Has anybody ever tried AlienSkin Blow Up? It's an application that doesn't seem to be talked about much. Just curious.

Website (external link) |

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Sep 17, 2009 21:29 |  #13

Raizer wrote in post #8646639 (external link)

As Tim said.. Photoshop.

Honestly; it doesn't get easier than this in my opinion.. After I finish processing my raws and making full size Jpegs; I point Photoshop (this is CS3) at a folder; put in my criteria below and let it rip.
Using the "Same location" option ACTUALLY makes another folder under it. If you select Jpeg the folder name is jpeg..

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 18, 2009 08:02 |  #14

Tdragone wrote in post #8663186 (external link)
Honestly; it doesn't get easier than this in my opinion..

Not easier, but better:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'application/xml'

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

VGP
571 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 18, 2009 08:17 |  #15

Great screen shots. I also need to make my job a little more easier. I have Cs3 and no about the batch process I just need to start using it more.

Sony A6000 With 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS and Vario-Tessar TE 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS / Canon T1I With EF-S 15-85MM f3.5-5.6 IS USM

sponsored links

3,917 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Program For JPEG Resizing
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.