Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Sep 2009 (Tuesday) 14:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dump the 1ds and go 5dMKII?

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 15, 2009 14:24 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Since my trip to Cuba/Israel is on indefinite hold due to me moving again I am faced with no longer needing the pro-body weather sealing of my 1ds. I'm debating dropping her and going 5dMKII but I wanted opinions both for and against the move.

Thanks,

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

sponsored links
Muskydave22
Goldmember
1,716 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 15, 2009 16:00 |  #2

you would loose awesome auto focus and incredible build, however you would gain versatility, great high iso performance, and better battery life... you just have to figure out what is important to you

dave

Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

SLC_Shooter
70 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 15, 2009 16:07 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

1Ds MK1? Yes!

1Ds MK2? Yes!

1Ds MK3? NO!

tharmsen
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 15, 2009 16:09 |  #4

Talking about a 1Ds classic, I would gladly trade it for a 5DMk2 without hesitation.

Gear List

footballdude2k3
602 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 15, 2009 16:09 |  #5

indefinate hold as in never or indefinate as in you will be going sometime and would need a weather sealed body again then?

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 15, 2009 16:25 |  #6

tharmsen wrote in post #8650310 (external link)
Talking about a 1Ds classic, I would gladly trade it for a 5DMk2 without hesitation.

+1

the mark II would be tough, but it's menus are still terrible and it's AF isn't ALL cross types. The original doesn't offer anything over the 5Dii except sealing IMHO. And the 5Dii has a lot of nice features over both the original, mark II and hell, even the mark III in some respects.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

sodalis
304 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 15, 2009 16:26 |  #7

Choosing between the 1Ds and 5D2 I would take the 5D2. In your case I would suggest at least considering the 1DsII, that would let you keep the build and AF you have now.

MichaelBernard
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 15, 2009 16:32 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

SLC_Shooter wrote in post #8650302 (external link)
1Ds MK1? Yes!

1Ds MK2? Yes!

1Ds MK3? NO!

I thought about dumping the 1ds for a 1ds MKII and 7d as a back up....hmmmm Is the 1ds MKIII really that bad?

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 15, 2009 16:46 |  #9

Considering I spent 6 months in Cuba in 2002 with a lowly Sony 707 and it survived quite well, I seriously doubt you should be worried about "breaking" a 5DII or any dSLR for that matter. I wouldn't go to the trouble of getting a 1D anything just for Cuba. I would go to the trouble of getting a snatch proof camera bag, though.

Actually the Sony spent well over a year, in total, in Cuba and works fine to this day.

We'll see how the 5D etc. does at the end of November.

Some shots, mostly from 2002

Old Cuba Shots (external link)

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

MichaelBernard
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 15, 2009 16:50 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

bohdank wrote in post #8650519 (external link)
Considering I spent 6 months in Cuba in 2002 with a lowly Sony 707 and it survived quite well, I seriously doubt you should be worried about "breaking" a 5DII or any dSLR for that matter. I wouldn't go to the trouble of getting a 1D anything just for Cuba. I would go to the trouble of getting a snatch proof camera bag, though.

Actually the Sony spent well over a year, in total, in Cuba and works fine to this day.

We'll see how the 5D etc. does at the end of November.

Some shots, mostly from 2002

Old Cuba Shots (external link)

I actually went 1ds for the desert... I'm going to the Mid East @ year end.

Agamemnon
308 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 15, 2009 16:53 |  #11

AudibleSilence wrote in post #8650460 (external link)
I thought about dumping the 1ds for a 1ds MKII and 7d as a back up....hmmmm Is the 1ds MKIII really that bad?

Somehow I don't think it's that the 1Ds3 is that bad, but rather that it's not enough better than the 5D Mark II for what most people do to be worth it.

The 1Ds Mark III is better than the 5D Mark II in most ways, except for video, and the LCD. It's probably not worth double the money for most people, though.

Ryan
Gear: My Gear

ebann
Once an ugly duckling
3,396 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Sep 15, 2009 17:21 |  #12

Do it... or save some $$$ on a good used 1Ds2 and use the difference on some new glass!

Ellery Bann
Fuji X100
6D | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 50 1.4
1D Mk IV | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 135 2L | 400 5.6L

MichaelBernard
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 15, 2009 17:24 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

ebann wrote in post #8650724 (external link)
Do it... or save some $$$ on a good used 1Ds2 and use the difference on some new glass!

My buddy is selling his well used 1ds2, but it's clean as a whistle. Time to list the 1ds I suppose. How much should I ask for it? 1k?

Dimitris
313 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 15, 2009 20:07 |  #14

I would keep it. I really like the colors from that camera. The 5D2 is definitely better in every respect besides build quality and autofocus but its much more expensive as well.

http://www.dimitriszer​vas.com/ (external link)

cicopo
Goldmember
3,499 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 15, 2009 20:51 |  #15

I've had a 1Ds, and a 5D which I felt was a better camera generally speaking, plus a 1Ds2 & a 5D2 and both are way ahead of the 1Ds, and for my uses the 1Ds2 was the one I still own. Nothing wrong with the 5D2 but I do need the super fact AF of the 1 series. As for the 1Ds3 I've shot some sample shots, and had the opportunity to buy 2 at a decent price (a relative term) but the difference in money won't produce a proportional difference in images over my 1Ds2. I can buy some mighty nice glass with that money.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

sponsored links

2,596 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dump the 1ds and go 5dMKII?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.