Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 04 Oct 2007 (Thursday) 11:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

[REVIEW] In-Depth Review of the ThinkTank Speed Racer

sc0ut
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 25, 2008 11:26 as a reply to  @ post 4063031 |  #16

[[It's packed with features, it's expandable, and also great to note, I have bought the Shoulder Harness which I can attach to it and convert it into a backpack!]]

Can you confirm that you have the thinktank shoulder harness and NOT the pixel racing harness. from the pics you provided, it looks more like the pixel racing harness.

thanks! btw, I have the speed freak.

Canon 40D || Canons EF 70-200 L f/2.8 IS, EFS 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, EFS 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS || Gitzo Tripod and Monopod || Manfrotto ballhead and swivel head || RRS L-plate, Lens plate, QR clamps || Think Tank Speed Freak, Lens Changer 75, Bazooka, Big Stick, and Racing Harness || Canon 580 EX II Speedlite

sponsored links
sc0ut
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 25, 2008 11:32 as a reply to  @ post 4447388 |  #17

Originally Posted by Triptoph
I'm looking for something to hold a 30D attached to a 100-400mm that can be carried in front of me or to the side while walking through crowded areas in 3rd world countries, and the ability to put it behind you would be a bonus. Also Need a place for a 17-55mm, and need the ability to swap between the two lenses. Taking a close look at the Speed Freak. I do not use the grip on my 30D.

Do you think the 30D+100-400mm attached would fit in the racer? With a detached 17-55mm as well?

It looks like a very good system, thanks for the review!

---------------

I have the Speed Freak. Inside are my 40D with 17-85 attached, 70-200 f2.8 IS, and 580EX II flash. Snug, but it fits. Will NOT fit if/when I attached a grip to the body though. Too tight then. It is heavy though with what I have in it. I also have the Lens Changer 75. Not attached yet, but when I get my Canon 10-22, then the 70-200 will go in there.

Canon 40D || Canons EF 70-200 L f/2.8 IS, EFS 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, EFS 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS || Gitzo Tripod and Monopod || Manfrotto ballhead and swivel head || RRS L-plate, Lens plate, QR clamps || Think Tank Speed Freak, Lens Changer 75, Bazooka, Big Stick, and Racing Harness || Canon 580 EX II Speedlite

stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,651 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 25, 2008 11:39 |  #18

Thanks for the write up----I was debating on this the other day. I purchased a few other thinktank items and look forward to getting them. I think this might be too big for me to use as a waist bag.............does anyone have reviews of the smaller ones?

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

Triptoph
504 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 25, 2008 11:55 |  #19

sc0ut wrote in post #4780649 (external link)
Do you think the 30D+100-400mm attached would fit in the racer? With a detached 17-55mm as well?

I now own the Speed Freak, which is the middle one. The Racer is wider and longer but NOT deeper it seems from reading the specs. The 30D+100-400L fits attached but just barely and by that I mean that when you close the bag, there is a bulge at the top, and it is hard to zip up. But this is good enough for me. My 17-55 IS fits alongside it in the speed freak, and on the other side I keep a Lee Filter pouch (the one that comes with the foundation kit) with the Lee Filter holder, as well as a B+W CPL. All that in the main compartment. The outer pocket holds the pocket rocket with 5 CF cards (holds 10 max I believe), three 10x15cm Lee Filters, a giottos rocket blower and brush and pen.

The speed freak holds less than my Slingshot 200 AW, and is more awkward to move from my behind to the front, but when walking long distances it is great as it is able to keep the weight on my hips instead of my shoulder while I'm carrying it on my backside. When carrying it forwards though the shoulder harness puts a fair amount of strain on my shoulder (it has been adjusted to fit properly when it is on my backside). If you always keep it on your front though you could adjust it to the proper length for your front and this would not be an issue.

It is quite bulky and looks like a camera bag. With the chimp cage and lightning fast attached to either side, this bag is about as far from 'blending in as a normal bag' as you can get I think.

I'm planning on taking the Think tank Speed Freak to Gambia and Senegal next week because once I adjust the shoulder strap to be a little longer, I believe I can carry it on my front for long distances without the back pain the slingshot 200 AW gives after several days of walking, Also, when in the front it is slightly easier to use as a lens changer than the slingshot, and when closed you can rest your camera on top of it so the weight isn't around your neck (assuming you use a neck strap with your camera).

-Tony

nutsnbolts
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,279 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 25, 2008 23:03 |  #20

sc0ut wrote in post #4780605 (external link)
[[It's packed with features, it's expandable, and also great to note, I have bought the Shoulder Harness which I can attach to it and convert it into a backpack!]]

Can you confirm that you have the thinktank shoulder harness and NOT the pixel racing harness. from the pics you provided, it looks more like the pixel racing harness.

thanks! btw, I have the speed freak.

Yes, you're right I will be updating this. It's a shoulder harness that I have attached on there not the Pixel racing harness. I actually use the pixel racing harness with the Speed Racer and not the shoulder harness, although it does work as well.

The pixel racing harness does tend to be a bit more difficult to attach on the speed racer than the shoulder harness which is just a buckle.

Canon EOS 40D | EOS Rebel XTI/400D | G9
Lenses and Gear List
Review of my ThinkTank Gear

sc0ut
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 26, 2008 18:53 |  #21

nutsnbolts wrote in post #4784606 (external link)
Yes, you're right I will be updating this. It's a shoulder harness that I have attached on there not the Pixel racing harness. I actually use the pixel racing harness with the Speed Racer and not the shoulder harness, although it does work as well.

The pixel racing harness does tend to be a bit more difficult to attach on the speed racer than the shoulder harness which is just a buckle.

if you could post a picture of the speed racer AND shoulder harness together (in action, so to speak), that will be great. i'm debating between the shoulder harness vs. the pixel racing harness. thanks!!

nutsnbolts
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,279 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 26, 2008 22:02 |  #22

sc0ut wrote in post #4789042 (external link)
if you could post a picture of the speed racer AND shoulder harness together (in action, so to speak), that will be great. i'm debating between the shoulder harness vs. the pixel racing harness. thanks!!

Honestly, if you are debating this between the pixel or the shoulder harness. I'll make this simple for you, get the pixel racing harness. The shoulder harness was designed to convert handbags to backpacks, whereby the pixel racing harness was designed to compliment the "speed" series and belt systems. The major difference between the two really comes from the fact that the pixel racing harness is adjustable to lower up and down when attached to the back, whereby the shoulder harness doesn't.

The shoulder harness is thinner (lightweight) and comes with a travel pouch. As I have stated they are both designed for two different purposes although it's versatile enough to perform similarly.

Either way, we will be showing this in the debut of our site in the next month or so.

Canon EOS 40D | EOS Rebel XTI/400D | G9
Lenses and Gear List
Review of my ThinkTank Gear

dicktay
603 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 15, 2009 17:57 |  #23

I have just purchased the Speed Racer (I wanted something that will hold two bodies with lenses attached [My Speed Freak was packed in too tightly even without the 100-400]).
Glad to report it will easily hold a Canon 40D with a Canon 100-400 F4.5 F5.6 IS L lens attached( lens hood reversed) + A Canon 5D with a Canon 24-105 F4 L IS lens attached (hood in the normal position).
I can post pics if you like.

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 20, 2011 10:18 as a reply to  @ post 4063031 |  #24

Thanks for your review.
I have a dslr with a grip, and you've helped me make the right purchase.

Best,

Dave

sponsored links

32,466 views & 0 likes for this thread
[REVIEW] In-Depth Review of the ThinkTank Speed Racer
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.