Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 16 Sep 2009 (Wednesday) 10:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Not sure which way to go.

-=nighthawk=-
199 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 16, 2009 10:00 |  #1

I am having trouble deciding what lens to pick up to add to my collection. For the past few days I have been dead set on getting the Sigma APO 70-300mm DG Macro since its one of the best 'bang for your buck'. I have also looked at the photo archive and have liked what I saw. However, the more I researched, I am not so sure anymore. Sports photography is what I intend to use the new lens for.

I have been trying to decide whether or not to get this Sigma or pay a few extra bones for the Canon equivalent. The only reason why I would get the Canon is for the autofocus. To me, that seems like it would be worth the extra coin. The problem with this though is that I have read that the build quality of the Canon is just as bad, if not worse than the 28-135mm lens I currently have. I think my best bet would be to pony up and get the 70-200 L non-IS. Yes, IS would be nice to have in sports I realize, but being that it is f4, I will be using it for day games, which I could get away with not having IS if my shutter speed is fast enough (?). With the L, I lose a bit of reach, but at least its f4. Plus, with any good lens it will hold its value and I can sell it when i am ready for a f2.8L.

The only thing holding me back from getting the 70-200 L is because I have other things I desperately need to get for my photography. I need a tripod and head which, I have a good idea on what I want to get (~$250). I would also like to get a flash as well as a few other things. All of this stuff adds up quick. Do I need a flash right now? Maybe not. I just don't know how to go about this.

I can go on and on about comparing and contrasting different lenses within my budget, but these seem to be the biggest contenders.

So to sum it up, I am not sure if I want to throw down 1k for pretty much just a lens, or get a less expensive lens and get other things to round out the camera. My gut tells me to get the tripod and other equipment. But my brain is saying don't invest in a less than adequate/quality glass.

Thanks for any help and direction. It is always welcome:D

50D 28-135mm IS USM Kit || 50mm 1.8II | Tristar UV and CPL Filters | Lowepro CompuDayPack | G6:roll:

sponsored links
yogibear
36 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 16, 2009 10:09 |  #2

A flash may not be of much use if you're shooting sports from a distance.

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 16, 2009 10:10 |  #3

A good tripod and head may not cost $250. Maybe the tripod and flash can wait or look into used equipment - save money. Get the EF 70-200/4. Outdoor sports I assume. Get the IS version if you can afford it. Spend money on glass! Cameras, tripods and flashes come and go, glass can last forever, so to speak.

GEAR LIST

-=nighthawk=-
THREAD ­ STARTER
199 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 16, 2009 10:16 |  #4

gasrocks wrote in post #8654953 (external link)
Maybe the tripod and flash can wait or look into used equipment - save money. Get the EF 70-200/4. Outdoor sports I assume.

good idea!. perhaps i can grab one on this forum for cheap !

Get the IS version if you can afford it.

ive been contemplating this. but everywhere i look a good portion of people say it isnt necessary for action sports due to the high shutter speed required anyway. it would be great for portraits though!

--^^is this logic misguided?

Spend money on glass! Cameras, tripods and flashes come and go, glass can last forever, so to speak.

this was definitely one of the justifications i had for getting the L! :)

50D 28-135mm IS USM Kit || 50mm 1.8II | Tristar UV and CPL Filters | Lowepro CompuDayPack | G6:roll:

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 16, 2009 10:18 |  #5

The IS version will have more resale value. You can always turn IS off. The IS version is about the same size and weight. IS does help with panning. Yes, great for portraits.

GEAR LIST

akiwi
Cream of the Crop
6,903 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 16, 2009 10:23 |  #6

I have the 70-200 F4. Actually I have had it for about 6 years and it is still my favourite lens. Always sharp, and a pleasure to use.
For portraits it never fails to deliver.

I don't have the IS version (Wasn't available 6 years ago). Up till now I haven't missed it. OTOH If I had IS, I'm sure I would get used to it pretty fast.

The F4 lens is relatively light and compact (Compared top the F2.8 version) so I don't think twice about leaving it in my camera bag.

Peter
www.PeterHansenPhoto.d​e (external link)
Gear:: Canon 7D & 350D :: EF 24-70 F2.8L :: EF-s 17-85:: 50mm 1.8 ::70-200 F4L ::100 F2.8 Macro:: Sigma 10-20 :: 580EX:: Elinchrom studio lights:: loads of other bibs & bobs.

sponsored links

629 views & 0 likes for this thread
Not sure which way to go.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.